[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

cordless drill wobble

montster

I have a Craftsman 19.2V cordless drill I bought last year. It has developed a noticeable wobble. I've never noticed it before, but, then again, I've never thought to look for a wobble, either. I only thought to check for wobble because it hasn't been performing as reliably as it used to. (I've been building a table over the past week, so it has gotten a lot of use.) I tried removing the chuck, but the damn thing won't come off -- did exactly as the instructions said, removing the screw inside and using a hex key and mallet to loosen the chuck. It won't budge. Even so, I'm not sure it's even the cause. Thoughts?

Clamp drill motor to a table, put a flat head screw driver on the teeth where the chuck goes, hit the back of the screw driver with hammer. Repeat util it loosens. Make sure to hit in loosening direction. You may have the bit in awkwardly. Could very well be a broken bearing or seal or warped drill bit.

ETA; have the screw driver on a tooth vertically, 75 80 degrees. If you ever lose a chuck key, you can tighten and loosen with this redneck method.

Edited by SEC=UGA

First off it's a Craftsman. That was your first mistake. Best thing about Craftsman tools is that they take them back because they break a lot.

That's very helpful. Thank you.

Clamp drill motor to a table, put a flat head screw driver on the teeth where the chuck goes, hit the back of the screw driver with hammer. Repeat util it loosens. Make sure to hit in loosening direction. You may have the bit in awkwardly. Could very well be a broken bearing or seal or warped drill bit.

ETA; have the screw driver on a tooth vertically, 75 80 degrees. If you ever lose a chuck key, you can tighten and loosen with this redneck method.

It's a keyless chuck.

That's very helpful. Thank you.

It's a keyless chuck.

What you can do is get a long handled pair of vicegrips, clamp on to the hex key, like you would be etxending the straight part of the handle, this will give you more leverage. ----------------------- vicegrip here

:

Short part in drill head.

If that doesn't work, take back and return it.

Edited by SEC=UGA

What you can do is get a long handled pair of vicegrips, clamp on to the hex key, like you would be etxending the straight part of the handle, this will give you more leverage. ----------------------- vicegrip here

:

Short part in drill head.

If that doesn't work, take back and return it.

Yeah, before I posted I went online and got suggestions on what to do. I've tried various sizes of hex keys; tightened the chuck jaws around the short end; "tapped" the long end with a mallet, like it says in the instructions; struck it hard with the mallet, like others have suggested; tried a pipe wrench around the chuck; nothing has worked.

Honestly, the Craftsman was what I needed at the time -- we'd just bought a house, and all I expected to be doing was using it to fix things here and there. Then I got into wordworking, and I started using it more heavily, and it became steadily more annoying. Plus the thing weighs a ton and can't fit in tight spaces. It was $80 when I got it and came with an extra battery. But now I'm thinking it's a good excuse to upgrade.

Seriously, bring it back to the store. A lot of times the people that work in the hardware dept (most likely the manager) can tell you what the problem is and get it fixed. If not, they may well just replace it. But don't expect them to, the lifetime warranty has never included power tool although most people like to think it does and quite often pitch a fit when a store gives them guff about it.

yer bit is bent

Bought a set of brand new bits. I broke two of them. :wacko:

Seriously, bring it back to the store. A lot of times the people that work in the hardware dept (most likely the manager) can tell you what the problem is and get it fixed. If not, they may well just replace it. But don't expect them to, the lifetime warranty has never included power tool although most people like to think it does and quite often pitch a fit when a store gives them guff about it.

Thanks. I'll try that.

1) The comment about Craftsman being poor tools is right on. I'd spend money on Ryobi before Craftsman. If the drill still looks pretty good and is identical to the current model, go buy a new one and take this one back in its place.

2) Isn't the chuck mount left-handed threads (meaning it's actually lefty-tightie, righty-loosey)? It's been a while since I replaced a chuck, but IIRC, that was the case. The chuck shouldn't really go bad though. If something is wrong with the mount for the chuck then see #1 above.

3) If the chuck is cross-threaded or "out-of-round" then that will break bits. Drill bits are very strong straight up/down, but ANY lateral pressure will break even good carbide or titanium-nitride bits. If you need to put cutting pressure on the drill then put your hand on the back of the barrel, and DON'T put the pressure on via the handle.

Did you ever get the issue resolved?

I found the receipt (good thing I bought it online -- still had the email receipt). I'm taking the advice of folks here and will take it back to Sears to see what they say. I don't have high hopes but it's worth a shot. Worst-case scenario is I buy a better drill.

I found the receipt (good thing I bought it online -- still had the email receipt). I'm taking the advice of folks here and will take it back to Sears to see what they say. I don't have high hopes but it's worth a shot. Worst-case scenario is I buy a better drill.

I took the drill to Sears today. Although I had the receipt with me, the sales guy said he couldn't do anything for me because I bought it in June '09 and didn't buy their extended warranty. He had no idea what would cause the wobble, and at first suggested it was normal. Then I had him put a long bit in and he could see it. He put the bit in one of their floor models and drilled a hole. Then he did the same thing with mine and could barely get the hole started. So, at the very least, I know it's not just in my head. He said all he could suggest was calling Craftsman and having it repaired. Screw that, the drill cost only $100, and I'd rather put the money toward a better drill.

I now realize that Craftsman is fine if all you want is a cheap drill to drive screws, but for heavier stuff, it sucks. Guess I learned the hard way.

If you are going to get a new one, do yourself a favor and buy a DeWalt 14.4 volt cordless. Get a 1/2" chuck and you'll be able to do 90% of everything you will ever need.

If you want to spend a little more, get a cordless hammerdrill, and you will be able to do 100% of what you'll ever need. Don't waste your money on anything else.

I took the drill to Sears today. Although I had the receipt with me, the sales guy said he couldn't do anything for me because I bought it in June '09 and didn't buy their extended warranty. He had no idea what would cause the wobble, and at first suggested it was normal. Then I had him put a long bit in and he could see it. He put the bit in one of their floor models and drilled a hole. Then he did the same thing with mine and could barely get the hole started. So, at the very least, I know it's not just in my head. He said all he could suggest was calling Craftsman and having it repaired. Screw that, the drill cost only $100, and I'd rather put the money toward a better drill.

I now realize that Craftsman is fine if all you want is a cheap drill to drive screws, but for heavier stuff, it sucks. Guess I learned the hard way.

just take it back to another store or at another time without the receipt...tell them it is F'd up and you want to exchange it for another drill....when they ask when it was bought just say it was a fathers day gift or something like that....don't settle for NO from a sales person...ask for a manager...and then harp about craftsman warranty and not buying anything else from sears etc...