[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Car Key Question

Footballjoe

So how do these keys with the "chips" in them work? I was having problems with my 2000 Ford Van not starting now and then. After talking to Buddaj and my mechanic we determined it was the key. I switched to my orginal key which I normally never use in case I need to make a spare, I don't want it to get worn down. For the past 4 days I have not had a problem so I am going to get another key made. How do I know if my car has a key with a "chip" and if I do what would happen if I just get a reqular key made? :wacko:

So how do these keys with the "chips" in them work? I was having problems with my 2000 Ford Van not starting now and then. After talking to Buddaj and my mechanic we determined it was the key. I switched to my orginal key which I normally never use in case I need to make a spare, I don't want it to get worn down. For the past 4 days I have not had a problem so I am going to get another key made. How do I know if my car has a key with a "chip" and if I do what would happen if I just get a reqular key made? :wacko:

If there is a chip and you get a regular key made, the car won't start.

Take it up to the dealership, they can tell you if a chip is in it.

You can sometimes trick the car by holding the chipped part of the old key against the copy when you turn the car on. It's hard to believe it works, but I've seen it done.

ok I jinxed myself by posting this. Twice today it did not start until I put it in neutral. The dash board lights come on but the car will not turn over. Its dead. So what are we talking about? Neutral safety switch, ignition switch or something else?

It sounds like a neutral safety switch to me. I think Ford calls it a transmission range switch.