[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ACL Surgery

Patsfan39

Big John is right. Had it about 12 years ago. As a matter of fact, it's torn again, so I need to get it done again this year.

I had a real aggressive PT group, so my recovery time was 6 months on the nose. I was playing soccer again without a brace after that time frame. I also did my exercises at home as well.

Let me know if you need any specific advice. My only real advice would be to keep your exercises up long term. I'm living proof that you can hurt it again if you don't maintain a workout program. I'm not saying you would have to maintain the same level, but I hurt mine again playing soccer after not playing for awhile. So my legs weren't in shape to handle the stress on the knee.

most of the work to recover should be done in the first six weeks, so I can't offer anything.

Did you have a range of motion machine that you used for about eight hours a day?

Are you seeing a physical therapist?

I'd focus on ROM instead of building muscle. for example, if you're riding a bike, I'd put it in an easy gear and would put very little effort into it, just 'spin'.

My doctor actually doesn't like his patients using a motion machine, he likes his patients getting motion back on there own. I worked real hard towards ROM the first 2-3 weeks. And a week ago I had my visit with my doctor, and I have a little over 140 degrees ROM. Which he says is ahead of schedule.

I've been seeing a physical therapist 2 times a week. But I still do the exercises everyday, sometimes twice a day if I have the time. The physical therapist says that my knee I had surgery on can bend back further than my good knee now.

I still work at ROM everyday, but I feel like I have it almost down. So the past few weeks I've been working on my strength for hours, and my doctor says my quads and hamstring (what they used to replace my ACL) is further than where it is than most of his patients 6 months post-op.

I still wear my brace when I got out, just in case. But I don't wear it when I'm home.

Most of the exercises (leg lifts, squats, step ups, etc.) are getting pretty easy. They used to be real tough, but now I can do them pretty easily.

Also: I heard that although the first 6 weeks is important, the rest of the recovery time is very imporant too. Especially when you get to the agility and jumping stuff.

Edited by Patsfan39

Big John is right. Had it about 12 years ago. As a matter of fact, it's torn again, so I need to get it done again this year.

I had a real aggressive PT group, so my recovery time was 6 months on the nose. I was playing soccer again without a brace after that time frame. I also did my exercises at home as well.

Let me know if you need any specific advice. My only real advice would be to keep your exercises up long term. I'm living proof that you can hurt it again if you don't maintain a workout program. I'm not saying you would have to maintain the same level, but I hurt mine again playing soccer after not playing for awhile. So my legs weren't in shape to handle the stress on the knee.

Do you think you could have come back earlier than 6 months, but wearing a sports brace?

When you say you were playing after 6 months, would you say your knee felt 100%, or just good enough to play?

What type of surgery did you have 12 years ago? I had tendons from my hamstring used to replace my ACL, which is a new method. I don't there was such a thing 12 years ago.

You probably don't remember, but how did you feel one month after surgery? Although I'm still pretty upset I can't do much, my knee does feel very very good. I honestly feel that I could go play some light basketball right now without doing any harm, but I won't until the doctor clears me.

that sucks, sorry about that.

When I tore mine, I didn't have insurance, so I waited, then my knee was 'okay' by the time I had insurance. I needed very little PT and was okay cuz according to my doctor, I did the PT before surgery.

So if you've torn it again and it's been a while, maybe live with it torn again while you exercise? One danger is that you can tear something else, like the meniscus. But that's something to discuss with your doctor.

Was it a full tear? And were you playing a sport or something that required a lot ot of your knee?

Do you think you could have come back earlier than 6 months, but wearing a sports brace?

When you say you were playing after 6 months, would you say your knee felt 100%, or just good enough to play?

What type of surgery did you have 12 years ago? I had tendons from my hamstring used to replace my ACL, which is a new method. I don't there was such a thing 12 years ago.

You probably don't remember, but how did you feel one month after surgery? Although I'm still pretty upset I can't do much, my knee does feel very very good. I honestly feel that I could go play some light basketball right now without doing any harm, but I won't until the doctor clears me.

I could not have come back earlier, so the timing felt right. When I played, the strength of the knee was 100%. I knew that and believed that based on the testing I did during the process. It felt perfect physically; mentally it took some time to "prove" to myself I was ok.

I believe I had the cadaver reconstruction. After one month, I think I was still on crutches, or maybe just getting into a walking brace, but my memory tells me I was on crutches. If you are 6 weeks out, you are nowhere near being able to play anything.

yeah, full tear. I was 'bouldering' and fell. Popped 6 ibuprofen and walked back to the car. With it torn, I really couldn't play soccer or other cutting sports, but was able to continue riding my bike.

so, I don't really have any insight on playing real sports.

Yeah I came down on one leg and my foot landed one someone's foot causing my leg to bend sideways close to 90 degrees. I had a full tear, completley off the bone, and some cartilage damage. My knee was, of course, swollen and full of blood and internal bruising.

At first I was on the ground for a few minutes holding my knee, but the pain wasn't as bad as I thought, and I just tried to walk it off. And I played about 10 minutes later. I played in another game after that, I could twist and cut, but I clearly wasn't 100% as fast.

If you are 6 weeks out, you are nowhere near being able to play anything.

This statement made me laugh, thinking about trying this. I grew man-titties from all of the time on crutches. I remember calling my doctor an SOB when he lied to me - OK, we're going to pull this tube draining blood from your knee (which, btw, we fit through your quad muscle) out on the count of three... one... two... YANK!!! After I profusely apologized, he laughed and said he'd been called worse. That was day three. Day of surgery, two nurses walked in with crutches for me, and I laughed at them. I lost that one too. For me, ROM and tearing the scar tissue from surgery was the worst part. That was roughly 1995. And I can tell when a new weather front (especially precipitation) is coming within 48 hours. My right knee is never wrong. Ever. They grafted out part of my patella tendon, so the front of my knee gets sore too. But it's been rock solid (knock on wood). My doctor said I was in good shape thanks to playing soccer my whole life up to that point.

Good Luck.

injured the knee 3 times before getting surgery in 96 (had acl, mcl, and cartilage damage). 9 months of before i felt decent doing regular activities (basketball, volleyball, football, skiing). 15 months to max rehab. it has been very solid, though i have lost a step. very happy to be able to do all of those things. times and technology is different now so i don't know the current philosophy. good luck.

I could not have come back earlier, so the timing felt right. When I played, the strength of the knee was 100%. I knew that and believed that based on the testing I did during the process. It felt perfect physically; mentally it took some time to "prove" to myself I was ok.

I believe I had the cadaver reconstruction. After one month, I think I was still on crutches, or maybe just getting into a walking brace, but my memory tells me I was on crutches. If you are 6 weeks out, you are nowhere near being able to play anything.

I've been told that 80% is considered safe enough to come back. Although it might be a little more risky than waiting to get to the full 100% like you, I heard it is possible. Mine doesn't feel perfect physically or mentally yet, of course. I can jump and cut right now without any pain. Running is my main problem, it doesn't hurt, it's hard to explain, I just can't run.

I was off crutches after two days, actually. Which is actually really quick everyone says, but one month is certainly understandable. The amount of pain trying to put pressure on it was incredible, never had that much pain.

I know I'm nowhere near being able to play without any restrictions, but I feel good enough to at least go shoot around and stuff, wish the doctor would let me...

This statement made me laugh, thinking about trying this. I grew man-titties from all of the time on crutches. I remember calling my doctor an SOB when he lied to me - OK, we're going to pull this tube draining blood from your knee (which, btw, we fit through your quad muscle) out on the count of three... one... two... YANK!!! After I profusely apologized, he laughed and said he'd been called worse. That was day three. Day of surgery, two nurses walked in with crutches for me, and I laughed at them. I lost that one too. For me, ROM and tearing the scar tissue from surgery was the worst part. That was roughly 1995. And I can tell when a new weather front (especially precipitation) is coming within 48 hours. My right knee is never wrong. Ever. They grafted out part of my patella tendon, so the front of my knee gets sore too. But it's been rock solid (knock on wood). My doctor said I was in good shape thanks to playing soccer my whole life up to that point.

Good Luck.

Yours sounds a lot more painful than mine was. I guess since yours was 15 years after mine. They've been making improvements on ACL surgeries in recent years.

Is yours better now?

injured the knee 3 times before getting surgery in 96 (had acl, mcl, and cartilage damage). 9 months of before i felt decent doing regular activities (basketball, volleyball, football, skiing). 15 months to max rehab. it has been very solid, though i have lost a step. very happy to be able to do all of those things. times and technology is different now so i don't know the current philosophy. good luck.

Yeah I had a full ACL tear and cartilage damage from the initial injury. I'm pretty lucky I didn't hurt it anymore. Did you know you had a torn ACL before you injured it the other times?

Yeah I had a full ACL tear and cartilage damage from the initial injury. I'm pretty lucky I didn't hurt it anymore. Did you know you had a torn ACL before you injured it the other times?

all from the first injury (via mri). tried rehab w/out surgery for the 1st two injuries. also, i was on crutches for about 3 weeks (and in pain).

Yours sounds a lot more painful than mine was. I guess since yours was 15 years after mine. They've been making improvements on ACL surgeries in recent years.

Is yours better now?

Yeah... it's better. Like I said, it's rock solid (knock on wood). Just acts up sometimes due to the weather. Torn cartilage, small tears to both PCL and MCL too. Dr. showed me pic of when they were in the knee, of where my ACL should have been. Edge of the pic had what looked like frayed rope that had snapped on two sides. The pain is manageable still. It's been well enough to be active, easily, though. Friggin astroturf. Burn it all.

Yeah... it's better. Like I said, it's rock solid (knock on wood). Just acts up sometimes due to the weather. Torn cartilage, small tears to both PCL and MCL too. Dr. showed me pic of when they were in the knee, of where my ACL should have been. Edge of the pic had what looked like frayed rope that had snapped on two sides. The pain is manageable still. It's been well enough to be active, easily, though. Friggin astroturf. Burn it all.

Is all the pain ever going to go away for you?

Is all the pain ever going to go away for you?

I doubt it. Was a bit sore this morning (methinks rain is forthcoming to STL). That rain prediction can be a sharp pain, but rarely lasts more than 10-30 seconds, but can happen a few times a day. LOL - I just looked at the forecast on weather.com and sure enough... rain coming on Friday. It's a blessing and a curse. I may be making it sound all bad, but it's not. I rarely think about it anymore (except of course when a front is coming in). IMHO, if you follow the Dr's orders and rehab as instructed, you'll be fine. I have to imagine these ACL surgeries these days are about as common as an oil change for a car.

:wacko: LordOpie, Chief Dick, MrTed46, jumpin Johnies

Partial tear at age 24 playing football - just did some scope work.

Full tear at age 30 playing hoops. Reconstruction. Took the middle 3rd of my patella tendon.

They had me really try to strengthen it before surgery to minimize the atrophy for like a month before the surgery.

Range of motion is key though. Bend it a lot. Pull it up to your butt (quad stretches) whenever you have the chance. One of the thtinsg they really looked for was how straight/level to the surface it was when I was sitting with my legs fully extended.

I wonder why my ACL reconstructed knee feels better and is more flexible than my other knee? I hear lots of people say that.

My reconstructed knee is already way more flexible than my good knee.

I think the reason why most people end up more flexible, is because stretching is done everyday before and after exercising it. I honestly rarely stretched before this, now I stretch all the time to help.

Partial tear at age 24 playing football - just did some scope work.

Full tear at age 30 playing hoops. Reconstruction. Took the middle 3rd of my patella tendon.

They had me really try to strengthen it before surgery to minimize the atrophy for like a month before the surgery.

Range of motion is key though. Bend it a lot. Pull it up to your butt (quad stretches) whenever you have the chance. One of the thtinsg they really looked for was how straight/level to the surface it was when I was sitting with my legs fully extended.

What was your ROM after about 1 month? What did your doctor want it to get to be?

I know it's been a while for some of you, but where were you guys after one month? How did you feel, what were you doing in rehab? When did you progress to jogging then running? When did you guys at least get to shoot a basketball or throw a football around, or do a tiny bit of whatever sport you were playing?