[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Obama's Turn

SayItAintSoJoe

Were you skeptical of plan to reduce the deficit that didn't include changes to social security? Or that didn't attempt to raise revenue (via taxes)?

In a speech Wednesday, Mr. Obama will propose cuts to entitlement programs, including Medicare and Medicaid, and changes to Social Security, a discussion he has largely left to Democrats and Republicans in Congress. He also will call for tax increases for people making over $250,000 a year, a proposal contained in his 2012 budget, and changing parts of the tax code he thinks benefit the wealthy.

I wonder how this will be received?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently there is a "gang of 6" in the Senate who are about to make an announcement that Obama will likely support. These 3 Rs and 3 Ds have been meeting for a while.

Also, I read this morning that Obama has been waiting for the Rs to put their cards on the table (which they did with Ryan's proposed budget) before launching his own efforts.

Also, I read this morning that Obama has been waiting for the Rs to put their cards on the table (which they did with Ryan's proposed budget) before launching his own efforts.

I think that was smart because it makes the tax increase for those making over 250K an easier sell to the public. Now those that argue against the tax increase will have to defend medicare cuts at the same time.

I think that was smart because it makes the tax increase for those making over 250K an easier sell to the public. Now those that argue against the tax increase will have to defend medicare cuts at the same time.

well that is just it really ... until people see that everyone has some skin in the game both sides will be attaching rider bills about unrelated nonsense.

I hope part of it is a tax reform plan a la simpson bowles which increases revenue while reducing rates and eliminating deductions. ryan's budget did this, but aimed at being revenue neutral, which in the present situation just isn't good enough. ryan aims for revenue at 18% of GDP, I think realistically he (and everyone else) needs to be aiming more for 19-20%. and then get spending down in that area.

I am anxious to see what they come up with here.

So, uh, now it appears the community organizer in chief regrets saying this:

“The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. Leadership means that ‘the buck stops here.’ Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America's debt limit.”

Of course he does, now that the shoe is on the other foot and he has to borrow more money to buy more votes.

So, uh, now it appears the community organizer in chief regrets saying this:

Of course he does, now that the shoe is on the other foot and he has to borrow more money to buy more votes.

He has to borrow more money to avoid default, which would be cataclysmic for the entire global economy. There is no way of avoiding raising the cap, regardless of what the Republicans will be parroting. We definitely need to work on the deficit / debt but right now the cap absolutely has to be raised.

And yes, stuff you said in the past comes back to bite you when power becomes yours and the luxury of opposition is in the past. The same applies to the newly elected House.........

He has to borrow more money to avoid default, which would be cataclysmic for the entire global economy. There is no way of avoiding raising the cap, regardless of what the Republicans will be parroting. We definitely need to work on the deficit / debt but right now the cap absolutely has to be raised.

And yes, stuff you said in the past comes back to bite you when power becomes yours and the luxury of opposition is in the past. The same applies to the newly elected House.........

Which is the same spot shrub was in then. They ALL suck, even the ones used to replace the last ones who sucked.

Maybe he should read a book to some school kids. :wacko:

I am always disappointed to see such utter nonsense as this.

I'll apologize for the tangent beforehand... What the hell did you expect Bush to do, throw down the book and go running out of the room, hop in the bat jet and go and shoot the remaining airplanes out of the sky?

I think what he did was absolutely appropriate. Take 45 seconds, finish the book, tell the kids you need to leave due to an unexpected event and go and take care of the problem. Do you think that without orders from the president that the military wasn't already reacting to the situation? Do you think that the president knew this was going to go down and instead of doing something about it he decided it would be cool to go into a first grade class and read them some book about spot chasing a ball thrown by billy?

To me, making a big deal about how the president handled the situation is one of the most idiotic arguments one can make or allude to to demonstrate that Bush was inept. He maintained his composure, he was most certainly thinking of the events and how to react to them, but finished his book and didn't freak out the kids.

So tell me, bright guy, what should the president have done?

And you can automatically lose the next election too. Unlikely that Republican politicians are going to risk their own necks.

When the country is bankrupt and rotting from endlessly raising the debt ceiling, there will be no more elections.

When the country is bankrupt and rotting from endlessly raising the debt ceiling, there will be no more elections.

And I will hopefully be clinging to my guns as I'm sending the looters into the arms of god.

That's true. And it's true that there are going to have to be some fundamental changes in the way the big entitlements work but no-one is going to slash SS and Medicare benefits next week.

Personally, I see means testing being the answer. That is going to be one tough sell but I don't see any other way out of it other than repackaging entitlements as last ditch insurance with diminishing payouts based on wealth (exempting primary residence). Or there is the option of raising taxes..........

I am always disappointed to see such utter nonsense as this.

I'll apologize for the tangent beforehand... What the hell did you expect Bush to do, throw down the book and go running out of the room, hop in the bat jet and go and shoot the remaining airplanes out of the sky?

I think what he did was absolutely appropriate. Take 45 seconds, finish the book, tell the kids you need to leave due to an unexpected event and go and take care of the problem. Do you think that without orders from the president that the military wasn't already reacting to the situation? Do you think that the president knew this was going to go down and instead of doing something about it he decided it would be cool to go into a first grade class and read them some book about spot chasing a ball thrown by billy?

To me, making a big deal about how the president handled the situation is one of the most idiotic arguments one can make or allude to to demonstrate that Bush was inept. He maintained his composure, he was most certainly thinking of the events and how to react to them, but finished his book and didn't freak out the kids.

So tell me, bright guy, what should the president have done?

Given you don't even have the facts straight why don't you go look them up and redo your rant?

45 seconds...more like 8 minutes. :wacko:

Given you don't even have the facts straight why don't you go look them up and redo your rant?

45 seconds...more like 8 minutes. :wacko:

What would you have had him do? Did that 8 minutes make a difference? No need to redo it, I stand pat.

Just watched the video, from the time that the staffer/ss agent, whoever, whispers in his ear to the time he leaves is a little over 5 minutes, so there is some exaggeration on your part as well.

Edited by SEC=UGA

What would you have had him do? Did that 8 minutes make a difference? No need to redo it, I stand pat.

Talk about a red herring . . . :wacko:

Of all the stupid things to argue over . . . calling out Bush for his reaction and reading a book on 9-11 has to be the dumbest ever.

SEC . . dont fall for the stinky, stinky bait.

Just watched the video, from the time that the staffer/ss agent, whoever, whispers in his ear to the time he leaves is a little over 5 minutes, so there is some exaggeration on your part as well.

When you are President and there's an attack on the country it does stand to reason you are a potential target. Furthermore, when you are in the middle of a publicly known event the sakes might be getting a little higher, since you are not in the security envelope of the White House.

So yeah, someone in his staff, or even after a couple of minutes Batman himself, should have said - uh, we're under attack and you/I just might be a target. We better start moving in order to ensure our safety and the safety of the children around us.

It isn't THAT hard to figure out - he vaporlocked along with his staff. And it wasn't sitting at LAX getting a haircut vaporlock either.

And your video was edited, he read form 905 to just past 912am. But thanks anyways. :wacko:

When you are President and there's an attack on the country it does stand to reason you are a potential target. Furthermore, when you are in the middle of a publicly known event the sakes might be getting a little higher, since you are not in the security envelope of the White House.

So yeah, someone in his staff, or even after a couple of minutes Batman himself, should have said - uh, we're under attack and you/I just might be a target. We better start moving in order to ensure our safety and the safety of the children around us.

It isn't THAT hard to figure out - he vaporlocked along with his staff. And it wasn't sitting at LAX getting a haircut vaporlock either.

And your video was edited, he read form 905 to just past 912am. But thanks anyways. :wacko:

So the school wasn't secure... Sorry, I missed the clock in the background. So the two videos I watched, obviously shot on different cameras, that run 5:09 are both wrong, got it.