[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Foo Fighters Back and Forth Documentary

bushwacked

Very entertaining. I think someone on this forum may have really hit the nail on the head with this band....a comment that went something along the lines of .....although they may have not made one great album, they sure have written a lot of good rock songs. I was a bit taken aback by how many good songs they have written that were played on the film itself (maybe due to longevity and me getting older with lack of memory).

The new album sounds promising, maybe a bit heavier than recent? I've always hoped Grohl would be a little bit truer to his roots (i.e...always surprised and generally a bit dissapointed in how melodic and poppy) when it comes to the Foo Fighters. Nevertheless, still one of the best all around rock bands out in the last 15 years.

Very entertaining. I think someone on this forum may have really hit the nail on the head with this band....a comment that went something along the lines of .....although they may have not made one great album, they sure have written a lot of good rock songs. I was a bit taken aback by how many good songs they have written that were played on the film itself (maybe due to longevity and me getting older with lack of memory).

I've quoted at least once or twice some critic's comment that the Foo Fighters are like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - never really knocking out a quote-unquote "Brilliant" album, just steadily and consistently churning out very, very good albums with very, very good singles year after year. Then you suddenly look around and realized they've crafted a remarkable career.

I've quoted at least once or twice some critic's comment that the Foo Fighters are like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - never really knocking out a quote-unquote "Brilliant" album, just steadily and consistently churning out very, very good albums with very, very good singles year after year. Then you suddenly look around and realized they've crafted a remarkable career.

I thought it may have been you. Ironically, in the film he talks about how difficult it was to turn down the opportunity to be Tom Petty's drummer in lieu of starting the Foo Fighters.

Edited by bushwacked

Hold on there shipmate...Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are in the HOF. I love the accolades being a pretty big Foo Fighters fan... just keep them in perspective.

Edited by tazinib1

I thought it may have been you. Ironically, in the film he talks about how difficult it was to turn down being Tom Petty's drummer to start the Foo Fighters.

Dave Grohl may be rock's most prolific musician - for a while, it seemed the guy was EVERYWHERE and I swear just about every side project he's done is pretty cool on some level - for those not keeping track, he's played with Queens of the Stone Age, drummed on Killing Joke's apocalyptic s/t return album, played with the D...Tenacious D, put out the Probot album, drummed on the Backbeat soundtrack, which featured a mid-90s Murderers Row of alternative musicians covering the Beatles, and probably a bunch of stuff I missed. Yeesh. I need a nap just typing it.

Dave Grohl may be rock's most prolific musician - for a while, it seemed the guy was EVERYWHERE and I swear just about every side project he's done is pretty cool on some level - for those not keeping track, he's played with Queens of the Stone Age, drummed on Killing Joke's apocalyptic s/t return album, played with the D...Tenacious D, put out the Probot album, drummed on the Backbeat soundtrack, which featured a mid-90s Murderers Row of alternative musicians covering the Beatles, and probably a bunch of stuff I missed. Yeesh. I need a nap just typing it.

Probot is great along with many of the other side projects. I have a great affinity for Songs for the Deaf by QOTSA, I still consider it one of best rock albums of the last whatever years.

Hold on there shipmate...Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are in the HOF. I love the accolades being a pretty big Foo Fighters fan... just keep them in perspective.

I think it's valid.

Petty and the Heartbreakers::

s/t 1st album - top chart position of #55, cert gold

You're Gonna Get It! - #23, gold

Damn the Torpedoes - #2, 2x platinum

Hard Promises - #5, platinum

Long After Dark - #9, gold

Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) - #20, platinum

Into the Great Wide Open - #13, 2x platinum

They had a number of top 40 hits, but only two top 10s - "Don't Do Me Like That" and "Free Fallin" (oddly enough, his most iconic song, "American Girl" didn't even chart, not even on the US rock charts).

Foos:

s/t 1st album - #23, platinum

The Colour and the Shape - #10, 2x platinum

There is Nothing Left to Lose - #10, platinum

One by One - #3, platinum

In Your Honor, #2, platinum

Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace - #2, gold

...with two top 20 hits, "Learn to Fly" and "The Best of You"*

Fairly similar career arcs, as far as I can tell. Foo Fighters hit the ground at a bit faster trot, but Grohl had some name recognition from Nirvana. I think you're underrating the Foos - which is understandable, seeing as Petty had roughly a 20 year headstart.

* - Petty DID rack up a ton of songs that didn't crack the top 10, but hit the top 20, my favorite of which is "The Waiting"

I thought it was great too, and I had no idea their lineup has changed so much over the years. Also what I love about Grohl is his sense of humor, especially in their videos. It's refreshing to see a musician, especially a frontman, able to be really driven when it comes to the music but not take himself too seriously.

The new album sounds promising, maybe a bit heavier than recent? I've always hoped Grohl would be a little bit truer to his roots (i.e...always surprised and generally a bit dissapointed in how melodic and poppy) when it comes to the Foo Fighters. Nevertheless, still one of the best all around rock bands out in the last 15 years.

Very entertaining indeed. I got into it on the replay late on Sunday night and couldn't stop watching. It's a long freakin' documentary that keep me up hours longer than I wanted, but as I said " I couldn't stop watching". I just like the fact that these guys are truly less about the money and fame and more about putting out solid music.

ETA: I was also stunned to hear that Grohl was offered and then turned down the Tom Petty gig... When the FF first came out, I couldn't see him as a front man, but over time, he has changed my mind. Oh, and I still loved their "Rock Honors" tribute to "Queen"... they have a lot of wide ranging influences that doesn't always fit the grunge rock scene from which they were born. Pretty cool.

Probot is great along with many of the other side projects. I have a great affinity for Songs for the Deaf by QOTSA, I still consider it one of best rock albums of the last whatever years.

LOVE SftD. I had it on my "best of the aughts" list, IIRC.

If you haven't given Backbeat a listen, I recommend it. Dunno if I'd say "buy" but it's definitely fun.

And Ursa should be in here shortly to praise that Killing Joke album. I think Rolling Stone described Grohl's drumming on it as "imitating a weapon of mass destruction." THAT one I say buy, if only because Jaz Coleman might hate W and the American right-wing more than you do. (EDIT - Just take a look)

Edited by Chavez

I think it's valid.

Petty and the Heartbreakers::

s/t 1st album - top chart position of #55, cert gold

You're Gonna Get It! - #23, gold

Damn the Torpedoes - #2, 2x platinum

Hard Promises - #5, platinum

Long After Dark - #9, gold

Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) - #20, platinum

Into the Great Wide Open - #13, 2x platinum

They had a number of top 40 hits, but only two top 10s - "Don't Do Me Like That" and "Free Fallin" (oddly enough, his most iconic song, "American Girl" didn't even chart, not even on the US rock charts).

Foos:

s/t 1st album - #23, platinum

The Colour and the Shape - #10, 2x platinum

There is Nothing Left to Lose - #10, platinum

One by One - #3, platinum

In Your Honor, #2, platinum

Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace - #2, gold

...with two top 20 hits, "Learn to Fly" and "The Best of You"*

Fairly similar career arcs, as far as I can tell. Foo Fighters hit the ground at a bit faster trot, but Grohl had some name recognition from Nirvana. I think you're underrating the Foos - which is understandable, seeing as Petty had roughly a 20 year headstart.

* - Petty DID rack up a ton of songs that didn't crack the top 10, but hit the top 20, my favorite of which is "The Waiting"

:wacko:

I knew you were holding off on a comment to put up some numbers ... and damnit if they don't support your comment.

:tup:

I knew you were holding off on a comment to put up some numbers ... and damnit if they don't support your comment.

If I didn't think the Petty = Foo Fighters (roughly) comparison held water, I wouldn't repeat it. :wacko:

And Ursa should be in here shortly to praise that Killing Joke album. I think Rolling Stone described Grohl's drumming on it as "imitating a weapon of mass destruction." THAT one I say buy, if only because Jaz Coleman might hate W and the American right-wing more than you do. (EDIT - Just take a look)

Yea, I find no redeeming qualities in that video.

If I didn't think the Petty = Foo Fighters (roughly) comparison held water, I wouldn't repeat it. :wacko:

Yeah? But you're still from Wisconsin..so deduct 2 points for teacher inferiority.

Edited by tazinib1

Very entertaining indeed. I got into it on the replay late on Sunday night and couldn't stop watching. It's a long freakin' documentary that keep me up hours longer than I wanted, but as I said " I couldn't stop watching". I just like the fact that these guys are truly less about the money and fame and more about putting out solid music.

ETA: I was also stunned to hear that Grohl was offered and then turned down the Tom Petty gig... When the FF first came out, I couldn't see him as a front man, but over time, he has changed my mind. Oh, and I still loved their "Rock Honors" tribute to "Queen"... they have a lot of wide ranging influences that doesn't always fit the grunge rock scene from which they were born. Pretty cool.

:wacko:

you know Josh Homme is gay, right? (he is married with a child, so all the rumors of him being gay are really wrong)

Big Kyuss fan, here, which is Josh's first band of any importance, frontman Garcia the best metal vocals of the 90's.

QOTSA will go to their hotel room, unscrew anything hanging on a wall and paint great art behind the piece, then hang it back on the wall. Art behind mirrors, ironing boards and paintings. They would post the room numbers on their website so fans could go rent the same rooms and see the art. Very cool.

Eagles of Death Metal, his other band, had a great first album

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

So what have the Foo Fighters actually done these days. Just curious. Meanwhile....Tom Petty is in the HOF and continues to beat SHAM WOW! up.

New album coming out.

Also, if you're a big Petty fan, check out the Runnin' Down a Dream documentary. It's really good.

FWIW, I prefer Petty to the Foos.

Edited by Chavez