[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

More than enough QBs to go around?

Curt Dallas

A big talk of the upcoming draft and FA (when the lockout ends) is teams that need quarterbacks. I took a look at the teams that need QBs and here are the ones that come to mind:

MIN

SEA

ARI

CAR

CIN (If Palmer is serious about not playing)

BUF (If they don't think FItzpatrick is good enough)

MIA

OAK

The QBs that have been talked about being available for trade or FA:

Kolb

Orton

McNabb

Volek

V. Young

J. Johnson

Hasselbeck

QBs to be drafted (in no paticular order):

Newton

Gabbert

Locker

Dalton

Mallett

Ponder

Kaepernick

With the teams that need QBs and all of the ones available through the draft and FA, is it possible a team that we think is in need of a QB doesn't draft one and waits until FA to find one? Or drafts one late to develop and picks up a stop-gap QB that would only play for a year or two?

A big talk of the upcoming draft and FA (when the lockout ends) is teams that need quarterbacks. I took a look at the teams that need QBs and here are the ones that come to mind:

MIN

SEA

ARI

CAR

CIN (If Palmer is serious about not playing)

BUF (If they don't think FItzpatrick is good enough)

MIA

OAK

The QBs that have been talked about being available for trade or FA:

Kolb

Orton

McNabb

Volek

V. Young

J. Johnson

Hasselbeck

QBs to be drafted (in no paticular order):

Newton

Gabbert

Locker

Dalton

Mallett

Ponder

Kaepernick

With the teams that need QBs and all of the ones available through the draft and FA, is it possible a team that we think is in need of a QB doesn't draft one and waits until FA to find one? Or drafts one late to develop and picks up a stop-gap QB that would only play for a year or two?

I think you flat out missed SF, TEN, and WAS; and can add CLE & JAX to that list, at least to get quality depth at a minimum.

That's at least 11 and possibly 13 teams looking at adding some real quality QB component to their roster.

Of that list of names, I see 3 guys who have proven they can put up reliable regular starting NFL QB numbers and 2 who have proven they can win while doing it.

Yep, it's a sellers' market alright.

Obviously the problem is that they can't address Free Agents before the draft, and that makes for a very risky proposition to wait, particularly if only one or two of those FA QBs even fit into their system or they have interest in...

This is why I think it's highly unlikely that many QB-needy teams would forego grabbing a QB in the draft, and why many believe that QBs will go flying off the board. You could certainly wait for FA, but there is no guarantee that you're going to get the guy you want to try to land, with so many teams in the hunt for a QB. So if you don't land THE guy, what do you do then?

Though just because a team drafts a QB does not necessarily preclude them from picking up a Free-Agent as a stop-gap or second option, and in fact would likely necessitate it, with no certainty that any of these rookie QBs are anywhere near ready for a starting gig.

Needless to say, it should be an very interesting rookie draft and FA period (whenever that happens)...

Edited by delusions of granduer

I think you flat out missed SF, TEN, and WAS; and can add CLE & JAX to that list, at least to get quality depth at a minimum.

That's at least 11 and possibly 13 teams looking at adding some real quality QB component to their roster.

Of that list of names, I see 3 guys who have proven they can put up reliable regular starting NFL QB numbers and 2 who have proven they can win while doing it.

Let's not start the McCoy debate ,,, HE is the future of Cleavland and Homogren is blowing smoke

Edited by MustOfBeenDrunk

Let's not start the McCoy debate ,,, HE is the future of Cleavland and Homogren is blowing smoke

I own McCoy in a dynasty league and am ecstatic to get him where I did in the draft to back up Brady. I would be surprised if they didn't bring in one of the late 2nd/early 3rd kids in this year's draft or go after at least a good quality backup to at least push McCoy or to have a fallback just in case.

Yep, that was a list several teams too short in the need department and several QBs long in quality options department.

There is nothing about that list of FAs or incoming rookies that tells me "there's more than enough to go around".

Chargers need a back-up QB. Last year it was Rivers and Volek after they traded Whitehurst. Volek may be departing.

Not saying they take anyone in the 1st or 2nd round, but I can see them killing one of the rookie's future hopes of starting.

I don't see a single QB on that list that is currently playing at an elite level. I guess Newton, Gabbert, Mallett and Kolb would be the best options. The rest only have starting jobs because of the lack of quality QB's currently playing.

And don't forget Denver! Granted, I think Tebow and Orton return, there IS currently a QB controversy in Denver!