[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Don't Ignore That Rattling Sound

Footballjoe

Every now and then we would hear a little rattling sound from my wife's 2004 Nissan Sentra. Never thought much about it. Well, the AC went out. The cause of the problem was there was no freon in the system. A hole in the compressor and high pressure hose was caused by the loose heat shield bracket, rubbing a hole in them. :wacko: It would have cost $600 with a new compressor but I was able to get a used one for much less. Hopefully, a lesson learned. :tup:

Every now and then we would hear a little rattling sound from my wife's 2004 Nissan Sentra. Never thought much about it. Well, the AC went out. The cause of the problem was there was no freon in the system. A hole in the compressor and high pressure hose was caused by the loose heat shield bracket, rubbing a hole in them. :wacko: It would have cost $600 with a new compressor but I was able to get a used one for much less. Hopefully, a lesson learned. :tup:

My truck squeals for a while when I first start it up, especially if it is wet outside. It stops once it warms up and I drive a few blocks.

My truck squeals for a while when I first start it up, especially if it is wet outside. It stops once it warms up and I drive a few blocks.

My car does the same thing. Just had the belts replaced. I'm going to rub some chalk on the belts and hope the takes care of this slip when it's cold. I hope it isn't a sign of something else going on.

Could be a worn belt or a weak tensioner. If it has a automatic tensioner, I'd go with worn belt.

My car does the same thing. Just had the belts replaced. I'm going to rub some chalk on the belts and hope the takes care of this slip when it's cold. I hope it isn't a sign of something else going on.

Your belts probably just need to be re-tightened.

Just my :wacko: .

+1

There's also a knocking/pinging sound that speeds up as I speed up and my car over-heats after 15-20 minutes. It's sitting on the curb waiting for me to decide whether to repair it or buy a new one as it has 120,000 miles on it already.

In my expert opinion...it's broke. :wacko:

My '98 F-150 just crossed the 200K mile mark... no signs of slowing down, in fact, the mechanic at the dealer where I just had them do the oil change/tire rotation/full check of everything (endied up getting spark plugs and wires replaced) remarked that it was in very good condition for a car of it's age/mileage. Considering I am racking up 25K+ miles a year on it, I am hoping to get at least another 50K miles out of it if not another 100K.

I'm glad I didn't pay to have it diagnosed :wacko:

Would you bother doing extensive repairs to a 12 year old vehicle?

Depends on expected value of the vehicle, cost of repairs, how long you had planned on keeping the vehicle (ie are you in a position to replace it now if you had to) and how long you expect the vehicle to last if you do make the repairs.

For me, the general rule of thumb has been that is the cost of repair doesn't exceed the value of the vehicle, than I lean towards going the repair/maintenance route.

If the cost do exceed the value of the vehicle, then it is a bit more tricky, as I have to compare the cost of the repair/maintenance to the cost of a replacement vehicle and it's associated maintenance costs. If the cost exceeds the cost to replace the vehicle, then no brainer you replace the vehicle.

I'm glad I didn't pay to have it diagnosed :wacko:

Would you bother doing extensive repairs to a 12 year old vehicle?

I agree with BC on this one. I'd probably find out what's wrong with it first before I made any decisions.

+1

There's also a knocking/pinging sound that speeds up as I speed up and my car over-heats after 15-20 minutes. It's sitting on the curb waiting for me to decide whether to repair it or buy a new one as it has 120,000 miles on it already.

What kind of car and what engine is in it?

2000 jeep cherokee v6.

part of the issue is that my wife wants a minivan, she has a 2003 jeep liberty.

I would bet it is a straight 6 4.0 litre engine. Things to check... Water pump and thermostat. If the water pump is bad change the thermostat with it. Make sure whomever does the job knows how to bleed that system. Worst part is that cylinder head is known for warping when over heated.

Thanks! But I don't know what that part means. Are you saying that my engine might already have significant damage and that I'll need to replace the whole thing sooner rather than later?

thanks again for the insight.

If the head has warped it will be evident upon inspection of the cooling system. Just warning you of a possible serious consequence of overheating that particular engine.

I took the car in today to get the repair on the AC done. It actually only cost $360 so I saved a few dollars. Whats interesting is that the first compressor that was removed at the junkyard had the same problem as mine, the shield rubbed a hole in it. It took a few days to find another one. I suggest anyone with a Nissan Sentra inspect their heat shield. Mine is a 2004 model.

I took the car in today to get the repair on the AC done. It actually only cost $360 so I saved a few dollars. Whats interesting is that the first compressor that was removed at the junkyard had the same problem as mine, the shield rubbed a hole in it. It took a few days to find another one. I suggest anyone with a Nissan Sentra inspect their heat shield. Mine is a 2004 model.

I had never run across that before but will keep an eye open for it on customers that own that make and model.