[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Blaine Gabbert's new nickname

Bring Back Pat!!!

It's sounding more and more like he could end up in SF. I've given up my pipe dream that the CB from LSU is going to fall to us and I hope we're not stuck with taking the CB from Nebraska (horrible trap: There's one guy at a position that is ranked heads and shoulders above the rest and may be the best prospect in the draft, you miss out on him by one or two spots and then panic and reach for the next best one who really should go 5-10 picks later).

But I keep seeing mocks where Gabbert goes to SF at 7. Buffalo goes DL because their pass-rush sucks balls, Cinci passes on him hoping to convince Palmer to stay and AZ ends up with the kid from LSU. At least, that's the theory. That was certainly the theory before Gabbert's stock started to rise and, I assumed now that he was going to go sooner. But many of the mocks I'm looking at were updated as recently as Monday or Tuesday of this week and still have him going to SF.

Interesting thing is that, apparently Harbaugh recruited him (I assume at Stanford) and, while he did play in a spread O in college, he played in a pro-style in HS.

To be honest, I was hoping SF could address the need through trade or FA, but it looks, more and more, like that's not going to happen because of the lock-out. However, if Harbaugh likes him, I'm going to assume kid has the goods. And if that's the case, I can think of few situations that involve immediate PT where the kid would have a better chance to excel. The Niners have an improving young OL, pass-catching threats, and assuming Gore is healthy, a very solid RB to take the pressure off. That and a coach who seems like he knows how to teach the position.

Gabbert is the #1 QB on most boards I presume. With several teams needing QB, I can't imagine he'll fall to 7. I could see CAR, BUF and DEN all passing on QB since CAR and DEN have recently drafted a QB and BUF seems to have a viable option in Fitzpatrick. But then you have CINCY sitting there and if Carson Palmer is really leaving, then they could definitely use a QB. After them ARI is definitely going to take a QB (I would think) and unless they go with Newton as the 1st QB overall (and also assuming nobody before them goes QB), they would probably go with Gabbert.

Bottom line: while it's certainly feasible that Gabbert could fall to SF, I say it's unlikely. We'll find out 1 week from today.

Gabbert is the #1 QB on most boards I presume. With several teams needing QB, I can't imagine he'll fall to 7. I could see CAR, BUF and DEN all passing on QB since CAR and DEN have recently drafted a QB and BUF seems to have a viable option in Fitzpatrick. But then you have CINCY sitting there and if Carson Palmer is really leaving, then they could definitely use a QB. After them ARI is definitely going to take a QB (I would think) and unless they go with Newton as the 1st QB overall (and also assuming nobody before them goes QB), they would probably go with Gabbert.

Bottom line: while it's certainly feasible that Gabbert could fall to SF, I say it's unlikely. We'll find out 1 week from today.

I would agree with the logic. It's just that I keep seeing his name come up at 7. Oddly enough, I see the LSU's Peterson come up plenty as well. Frankly, I'd prefer it works out that way.

Honestly, they both seems unlikely, but, then again, I just keep seeing them.

I would agree with the logic. It's just that I keep seeing his name come up at 7. Oddly enough, I see the LSU's Peterson come up plenty as well. Frankly, I'd prefer it works out that way.

Honestly, they both seems unlikely, but, then again, I just keep seeing them.

Well, I really can't see CAR, DEN or BUF drafting a QB - it just wouldn't make much sense. BUF maybe but certainly CAR can't give up on Claussen just yet and there's no way DEN drafts a QB with Orton and what's his face. I really see ARI going with Gabbert at 6 and then SF would have to go DEF, imo, because I would NOT draft Newton that early. SF would be wise to wait until round 2 (do they pick early in round 2?) to get a QB where there would be some viable QBs remaining (probably).

Well, I really can't see CAR, DEN or BUF drafting a QB - it just wouldn't make much sense. BUF maybe but certainly CAR can't give up on Claussen just yet and there's no way DEN drafts a QB with Orton and what's his face. I really see ARI going with Gabbert at 6 and then SF would have to go DEF, imo, because I would NOT draft Newton that early. SF would be wise to wait until round 2 (do they pick early in round 2?) to get a QB where there would be some viable QBs remaining (probably).

1) Everything I hear both Nationally and locally points to Newton going to CAR. Would I do it? Not likely, but that seems to be one of the few things that everyone can agree on. The only thing I hear besides that is that they're trying to trade back and pick up 2nd round pick to replace the one they literally gave away to move up into the 3rd and grab Armanti Edwards. Obviously, depending on who makes that trade would effect who goes at #1. But I don't see it happening anyway because this doesn't seem like a top-heavy year.

2) Everyone else says that Buffalo will grab Newton if, for some reason, CAR doesn't. That they have a QB good enough that they can take their time with Newton, but that they'd have to take a chance at the upside.

Honestly, I would love for the Niners to go D at #7 and then come back with Dalton or Ponder in the 2nd. I keep hearing that Dalton is jam-packed with intangibles.

1) Everything I hear both Nationally and locally points to Newton going to CAR. Would I do it? Not likely, but that seems to be one of the few things that everyone can agree on. The only thing I hear besides that is that they're trying to trade back and pick up 2nd round pick to replace the one they literally gave away to move up into the 3rd and grab Armanti Edwards. Obviously, depending on who makes that trade would effect who goes at #1. But I don't see it happening anyway because this doesn't seem like a top-heavy year.

2) Everyone else says that Buffalo will grab Newton if, for some reason, CAR doesn't. That they have a QB good enough that they can take their time with Newton, but that they'd have to take a chance at the upside.

Honestly, I would love for the Niners to go D at #7 and then come back with Dalton or Ponder in the 2nd. I keep hearing that Dalton is jam-packed with intangibles.

1 - I'm just not buying the Newton to CAR whispers. I know nothing about their organization or their GM but picking Newton makes zero sense to me. I think it's a ruse but we'll see.

2 - Same here. Maybe it's an ego thing with these GMs/owners - that they think THEY can be the ones who defy the odds in being able to turn a gifted athelete into an NFL QB. History has shown that the probability of turning a guy like Newton into an NFL QB worthy of a 1st round pick is extremely low. This doesn't preclude either of these teams from drafting him but I would be surprised.

3 - If I were a 49er fan, I'd hope for the same thing because even if a guy like Ponder or Dalton are gone in round 1, I still see some options out there at QB.