[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Will Newton be the #1 pick?

Atlanta Cracker

It seems to me Carolina would be much better off to fill other holes than take Newton who, while he has tremendous upside, will obviously struggle adjusting to NFL schemes. Obviously their QB play was awful last year but Cam will take time to develop. I'd think taking Peterson or Dareus and looking to fill the QB spot next year would make more sense.

I can't imagine all of the QB talk is just a smoke screen but I have a really hard time plugging Newton into my mock with any confidence.

It's almost all I hear, but, like you, can't believe it will actually happen. Newton or not, they may as well go with Claussen next year anyway. So why not actually improve the product on the field and get a playmaker you can actually start?

The Panthers camp is being awfully quiet. Usually by now we are hearing about contract negotiations with the #1 pick. I personally wouldn't take Newton with the number one pick since Claussen looks to have decent upside, but I have no idea how high the Panthers are on Newton. If Newton does go #1, what do you think the Panthers could get for Claussen?

The Panthers camp is being awfully quiet. Usually by now we are hearing about contract negotiations with the #1 pick. I personally wouldn't take Newton with the number one pick since Claussen looks to have decent upside, but I have no idea how high the Panthers are on Newton. If Newton does go #1, what do you think the Panthers could get for Claussen?

Couldn't do that this year due to the lockout.

About nothing right now. Kid may have upside, but he hasn't shown anything since college to give you any reason to believe that.

Look . . they are going to suck anyways. I would take Peterson/Dareus and hope they suck enough to get the #1 pick again and draft Luck next year . .

Problem is this would be considered smart and well thought out. Their is a reason the worst team in the league IS the worst team in the league-they aren't smart.

Problem is this would be considered smart and well thought out. Their is a reason the worst team in the league IS the worst team in the league-they aren't smart.

I don't think the Panthers are a poorly run team. They're not the best run team, but it's not like they're some sad-sack team who's been stuck at the bottom rung forever or anything.

I don't think the Panthers are a poorly run team. They're not the best run team, but it's not like they're some sad-sack team who's been stuck at the bottom rung forever or anything.

They have consistently had trouble at QB though. The problem is they haven't shown any ability to evaluate talent either of QB free agents or players in the draft. So I guess in that vein, taking Newton 1st overall makes a ton of sense.

I wonder, if they do that and he struggles mightily, do they have the balls to take Luck #1 next year? Probably not unless they get a new GM.

They have consistently had trouble at QB though. The problem is they haven't shown any ability to evaluate talent either of QB free agents or players in the draft. So I guess in that vein, taking Newton 1st overall makes a ton of sense.

I wonder, if they do that and he struggles mightily, do they have the balls to take Luck #1 next year? Probably not unless they get a new GM.

Oh, I don't know, Beuerlein was good and I don't think they picked the wrong guy in Delhomme, they just picked the wrong guy to give the fat contract they gave him later on. Mind you, their hand was a bit forced since he'd led them to a SB. They got suckered into one of those "reward contracts" and those almost never work out.

They hardly reached for Claussen and it's too early to say either way how that will turn out.