[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best Chain Burger

Brent

why would you pay someone to make you a burger when they are so easy to do yourself? Its like grilling a steak

:tup:

:wacko:

I figured that would come up. You know, I think the main reason is that, every freaking time we want to make burgers at home, we can never find a decent bun. It's always the limiting factor and we end up faking it with some lame-ass substitute. And every time it's the topic, "Why doesn't anyone sell a decent hamburger bun?"

Well, that and the fact that, unlike the Steakhouse experience which always sets you back plenty, you haven't really saved all that much money. After all, with the steakhouse, it's not just the steak, but the jacked up bottle of wine, and the $8 side of asparagus. I can go to Dain's Place on 9th St. Get a delicious hamburger and a craft beer and I'm out the door for just over $10 after tip. I save, what? $5 if I replicate the same meal at home?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I'll take a Hardees thick burger over either 5 guys or In and out. Never got the hype on either place.

Not that the thickburger is such a great burger, but it's reliable and the fries aren't soggy.

Fortunately, there's enough good indy burger joints around that I can always go to one of them if I want a burger.

This. If I'm out on the road, Hardess is my default stop spot for a decent quick meal (or Steak N' Shake if time isn't a factor). At least Hardee's burger has some semblance of grilled flavor, but in the end is like pretty much every other chain burger spot, where the goal isn't the best taste, but rather the least offensive form of blandness they can achieve. I wish burger chains were as good about their burgers as they are their fries, which to me is the best part about 5 guys...

Surprisingly though, the best burger I've ever had was a cajun-spiced burger at a gas station/restaurant in Lousiana (which are oddly common with good eats in both LA and MS). Man can those Cajuns cook!

Had an in N out burger and fries today. It was solid, but tasted alot like a double from jack in the box with secret sauce. The fries tasted like soft shoe string potatoes.

I have to say 5 Guys is the best Ive ever had from a chain.

2. Whataburger

3 Culvers

3A. In N Out

Had an in N out burger and fries today. It was solid, but tasted alot like a double from jack in the box with secret sauce. The fries tasted like soft shoe string potatoes.

I have to say 5 Guys is the best Ive ever had from a chain.

2. Whataburger

3 Culvers

3A. In N Out

I went back to Cathy's burgers off of 377 in Aubry yesterday. It is, without a doubt the greatest burget I've ever had. Not sure if you, or any of the other local huddlers are ever in that area, but it is a must try.

They only have 30 locations nationwide, so I'm not sure it's a "chain" in the true sense of the word, but I was recently introduced to Gordon Biersch. The burger was outstanding. Great bun, interesting selection of toppings, and garlic fries done perfectly.

Okay, just returned from the In-N-Out in Frisco. It is in the front of a huge strip mall and you follow signs saying "Drive Thru" from pointing person to pointing person until you realize you are hopelessly stuck in the middle of something. End up being assigned a parking spot in the parking lot and then waiting for me row to be released to start to actually wind around the In-N-Out. Give order to one woman who writes it onto a ticket and gives that to me to later hand over to someone with a walkie-talkie. By the time I reached the actual window, it had been 42 minutes (started at 11 AM) and I had gone past literally 8 people employed just to make all the cars do the "Drive Thru Dance" correctly.

Having lived in Northern Cali for 22 years, it was a memory refresher. It was a very good basic burger and I like their fries. I put them about the same as What-a-burger but given I can get through there in 5 minutes instead of 42 minutes, it will be a while before I get back to In-N-Out.