[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The LAST Shuttle flight

jetsfan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the next space craft?

The United States has chosen to get out of manned-spaceflight (launch vehicles) and leading the world in technology development. We will be fully reliant on the Russians to get astronauts to the ISS. It is a sad state of affairs our country has put itself in.

? So all that "space station of the future" bit is billions pissed away?

Not completely. We will be flying the ISS until at least 2020, probably 2028. There is a ton of ground-breaking science going on up there right now. We (USA) will not have a means of getting people up there, or to anywhere outside of the Earth without a significant change in policy.

manned-space flight is overrated (at least for the next 50 or so years)

unmanned probes are the way to go

(and I say this as someone who LOVES the space program)

jetsfan, I'm sorry about the shuttle program ending for you--that has to be difficult :wacko:

? So all that "space station of the future" bit is billions pissed away?

I think the money they are going to save going forward pays for about one week of the current wars. So we got that going for us.

But do we have peace and eternal contenment?

Lotta memories (mostly good a few bad) about the shuttle - remember one pit-stopping at the base I was stationed at in 85. Wasn't Challenger but not longer after, that happened. Some indirect connections work-wise too, mostly through people I knew working at NASA.

manned-space flight is overrated (at least for the next 50 or so years)

unmanned probes are the way to go

absolutely, 100% agree with you. until our technology advance to where we can counteract micro-gravity and find a feasible fuel solution to speed up long term flights we're not going back out there, it's just too dangerous and expensive. robotic explorers are the way to go and i predict that within the next 30 years we'll be actively mining asteroids for minerals. I personally feel that we needed to mothball the fleet and direct funding to other areas in NASA (no offense, jets). the reality is that we have been stuck in 1970 mode in regards to space flight objectives. we're not really doing too much new. Humans have been going out into orbit since the 60s, we went to the moon, yeah but humans have been putting up space stations since the 70s (Salyut 1 in '71, then Skylab, Mir and the ISS). I will say that for me, the ISS is the pentacle of the human spirit and will and it amazes me we have it orbiting overhead.

Let's be honest, the only area that has really flourished in the past 40 years has been probes which now spawned robotic exploration. The soviets put one on Venus and took pictures (amazing it survived in that atmosphere), Voyagers shooting out of our solar system as we speak, the 1st rover, spirit and opportunity, the Saturn probes (with amazing findings) and we have one that will enter Pluto's orbit in a few years. Not to mention the planning for putting a robotic probe under the ice covered sea of Enceladus (i think that's the moon i'm thinking of, could be one of jupiters). We even saw the landscape of Titan when the probe went in and took pics. Man space flight has resulted in nothing new outside of the activity on the ISS. We still can't take sustain trips let alone travel back to the moon, there's no reason for us to do so. It's cheaper to put up a probe than a shuttle.

But by moving space delivery methods into the private sector I think we'll progress much more rapidly then with space flight being exclusive to the government. This way the government can diversify its space funding out to different start ups instead of being forced to pump billions more to a single program like the shuttles. I think by 2015 we will have regular trips by Virgin to space for those who can afford it. We'll see a crop of new companies spring up to develop better payload ability that are contracted to both the government and private sector (we already use private sector for satellites now). While the private sector gives rise to cost effective orbital transportation (We'll have an active vacation/hotel space station by 2025 for people to book flights like what Virgin is doing but go into orbit and dock with a hotel) the government can devote more energy and focus on our robotic explorers which will save the goverment a little bit of cheese.

is there an unclassified list of stuff that has been discovered,invented from the space program? I know for a fact that most Russians are Bills fans :wacko:

Cordless Power Tools

Smoke Detectors

CATScan and MRI software

Artificial Limbs

Firefighter Breathing Systems

Jaws-of-Life

Airplane Collision Avoidance

plus other stuff you may, or may not, find helpful. Tech Transfer Site

We are still a go for launch.

Cordless Power Tools

Smoke Detectors

CATScan and MRI software

Artificial Limbs

Firefighter Breathing Systems

Jaws-of-Life

Airplane Collision Avoidance

plus other stuff you may, or may not, find helpful. Tech Transfer Site

We are still a go for launch.

dangit, that wasn't easy runnin that Bills smack on the backend, could you at least acknowledge it :wacko: thanks for the list :tup:

Hubble has been pretty great for a non expert like me. I am assuming the JWST can be launched without a shuttle.

Yup and if it wasn't for the Shuttle program, the Hubble would of been lost. A major fix right of the bat and another major overhaul, both done by astronauts, have been the key to Hubble beaming all those just phenomenal images back to Earth.

So far the weather is still an issue here. Overcast and some low clouds. A ton of tropical moisture is flowing into the state from the south and were expecting 2-3 inches of rain. The weekend looks iffy to. I have to work today so I'm really hoping it's a no-go until the weekend. Living 45 miles north of the Cape, I've seen every launch from the first one (we all were let out of school for the day to see the launch) to the Challenger disaster ( I was at a car stereo place getting a new system in my Audi Fox. The tech dude and I were outside the bay door watching the Shuttle go up on that freezing morning and then seeing the smoke trails go in 3-4 different directions. We looked at each other and both knew something was terribly wrong) to the awesome night time launches to this day.

It's really been a part of my life living here on the coast of Central Florida. It's a sad day for sure.

:wacko:

I'll at least correct my statement as I was referring to the telescope. The Republican led House Appropriations subcommittee proposed Wednesday to kill the James Webb Space Telescope (considered to be the crown jewel of NASA's astronomy plans for the next two decades). The committe proposed lopping 1.6 Billion off NASA's current budget. Here is a link to a New York Times article on the subject :tup:

So if you can find any real math on both current wars going that shows one week of both wars cost less than 1.6 billion, I'll concede that you win.

Is anyone seriously saying the shuttle program wasn't a good value?

It pains me to say this, but I am.

NASA could have gotten a lot more bang for its buck by concentrating on conventional rockets, unmanned probes and the like. For example, when you take all of the costs into account, each shuttle launch has cost more than $1 billion (in today's dollars)--that's a whole lot of money that NASA could have put to use for other projects.

(And note: I am NOT suggesting that the government shouldn't have given NASA the money, just that NASA could have put it to better use.)

Edited by wiegie

It pains me to say this, but I am.

NASA could have gotten a lot more bang for its buck by concentrating on conventional rockets, unmanned probes and the like. For example, when you take all of the costs into account, each shuttle launch has cost more than $1 billion (in today's dollars)--that's a whole lot of money that NASA could have put to use for other projects.

(And note: I am NOT suggesting that the government shouldn't have given NASA the money, just that NASA could have put it to better use.)

I respectfully disagree. The Shuttle is the largest, most efficient space transportation machine ever built. The Hubble telescope and the ISS would have been impossible to launch and build in space without the Shuttle.

I respectfully disagree. The Shuttle is the largest, most efficient space transportation machine ever built. The Hubble telescope and the ISS would have been impossible to launch and build in space without the Shuttle.

Hubble could have been launched via conventional rocket and the ISS was basically designed to give the Shuttle something to do once it became apparent that it wasn't going to be very cost-effective to use as a basic lift vehicle.

(And again, it pains me to say this stuff. I drove to Florida to watch a shuttle launch when I was 17 and have watched basically every launch with my boys since they were born.)

Edited by wiegie