[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The LAST Shuttle flight

jetsfan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone seriously saying the shuttle program wasn't a good value?

I think that if you do a little research on it, you'll find many credentialed people who believe that the program was not worth the money.

It pains me to say this, but I am.

NASA could have gotten a lot more bang for its buck by concentrating on conventional rockets, unmanned probes and the like. For example, when you take all of the costs into account, each shuttle launch has cost more than $1 billion (in today's dollars)--that's a whole lot of money that NASA could have put to use for other projects.

(And note: I am NOT suggesting that the government shouldn't have given NASA the money, just that NASA could have put it to better use.)

I think that if you do a little research on it, you'll find many credentialed people who believe that the program was not worth the money.

I think you ought to look at the relative cost that I posted.

It pains me to say this, but I am.

NASA could have gotten a lot more bang for its buck by concentrating on conventional rockets, unmanned probes and the like. For example, when you take all of the costs into account, each shuttle launch has cost more than $1 billion (in today's dollars)--that's a whole lot of money that NASA could have put to use for other projects.

(And note: I am NOT suggesting that the government shouldn't have given NASA the money, just that NASA could have put it to better use.)

Well MY tax dollars probably contribued a fraction of a cent to NASA. I feel like I got an excellent bang-for my-buck for that fraction of a cent. Maybe the credentialed people don't think their farction of a penny was well spent but it's my faction of a cent and I approve.

I think you ought to look at the relative cost that I posted.

So what? Costs are costs.

If you paid 200 billion dollars (or whatever) to do something that you could have done for 100 billion dollars, you've wasted 100 billion dollars.

I read somewhere that each launch cost on the average of $1.6 billion dollars.

And costs aren't the only factor. They weren't safe. (14 people killed). They weren't reliable. 2 out of 5 (40%) exploded into smithereens . They didn't launch all that frequently and when they did, it was always after delays.

false comparison

If a sh|t-burger costs $1 while a sh|t-pizza costs $10, it still doesn't make spending a dollar on a sh|t-burger money well spent.

False math. If the cost for 39 years = $180 billion and the cost for "defense" over the same period is $20 trillion (to be generous), then you need your $hit burger costing $1 to be related to a $hit pizza costing $110.

So what? Costs are costs.

If you paid 200 billion dollars (or whatever) to do something that you could have done for 100 billion dollars, you've wasted 100 billion dollars.

I read somewhere that each launch cost on the average of $1.6 billion dollars.

And costs aren't the only factor. They weren't safe. (14 people killed). They weren't reliable. 2 out of 5 (40%) exploded into smithereens . They didn't launch all that frequently and when they did, it was always after delays.

And if the rocket route had been the one chosen, would everyone have said "Ooh, well done, you saved $90 billion over that Shuttle we never built"? I think not. It would have been "We should have done that shuttle, this isn't moving us forward at all". Hindsight is 20-20.

I doubt astronauts sign up for a safe ride in the airborne equivalent of a Toyota. Risk and death come as part of the program.

Hindsight is 20-20.

Well, when I judge whether something has been successful, I look back over time.

How do you do it?

And if you look at what the goals of the program were at the beginning (like you want to do, apparently), it was an abject failure.

Edited by Furd

Well, when I judge whether something has been successful, I look back over time.

How do you do it?

And if you look at what the goals of the program were at the beginning (like you want to do, apparently), it was an abject failure.

There are rare occasions our politicians push a program with unrealistic expectations. Perhaps this was one of those rare occasions. :wacko:

2 shuttles of 5 exploded for a 40% failure rate or 2 missions of 135 exploded for like a 1.5% failure rate. Irrelevant I suppose if you were on either of the shuttles that exploded.

I mean no offense to jetsfan or any of the NASA workers, but I simply find it a sad state of affairs that the program was reduced to launching the vehicle and basically hoping it didn't get too jacked on launch to return.

What would happen RIGHT NOW if they found tiles fell off during launch again? Would they go the rescue mission launch route or some other way? Anyone know?

What would happen RIGHT NOW if they found tiles fell off during launch again? Would they go the rescue mission launch route or some other way? Anyone know?

This mission has a four man crew instead of the usual seven. We can have them stay on the ISS (we flew extra supplies this mission just in case) and return in groups on Soyuz. The Shuttle can be flown remotely back to see if it would survive re-entry. We also have tile repair kits on orbit that they can use to fix problems on the vehicle.

Edited by jetsfan

This mission has a four man crew instead of the usual seven. We can have them stay on the ISS (we flew extra supplies this mission just in case) and return in groups on Soyuz. The Shuttle can be flown remotely back to see if it would survive re-entry. We also have tile repair kits on orbit that they can use to fix problems on the vehicle.

Thanks. I was curious about that as I was writing my post, because if I recall correctly ever since Columbia a second shuttle has more or less been on standby for each launch. And again, I'm not bagging on any employees, just the system that's allowed this to happen, and where I think the real failure of the shuttle program is...