[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lawn gurus

rajncajn

Let me start off first by saying that we're in the middle of a bad drought. Although the Gulf Coast region has had plenty of scattered rain, my neighborhood is on somewhat of a point and it take a bit more for it to make it down to us. Honestly, I can't remember the last time we had rain since before Summer started other than a few days with a short, light drizzle. I've been watering my lawn, but not nearly as much as I should and as a result a lot of my grass is dying. That part I understand, it needs more water or rain & that will solve that problem. However, there is this very large section in my back yard where the grass died much more quickly and the odd part is that it creates what looks like a perfect right angle of dead grass.

In this first picture, I didn't get it in the shot, but there is a valley in my yard that follows a similar line just to the right of the dead grass. Due to the low spot, the grass grows thicker & greener there. it starts about at the top edge of the picture. Also, I couldn't get the entire dead strip in the frame. It's about 30 ft long.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v482/raj...current=001.jpg

This is it from the opposite angle.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v482/raj...current=002.jpg

All this grass is St Augustine which is mostly what's in my back yard. I did de-thatch it with a rake and as you can see, the root system is still there and some plugs have sprouted. What I'd really like to know is what the heck could have caused the grass to die in a pattern like this, what can I do to help prevent it in the future & what I can do now to help nurse it back to health before the weeds take over that patch.

My first thought was grubs, but if you can't pull the grass up like a carpet, its probably something else.

Someone asked if it might be mole crickets & we've had infestations before, but nothing near the damage this has done and there's no telltale dirt mounds where they burrowed in. We've also had at least one mole recently, but again, I've never seen one do that kind of damage.

I think you should just plant a vegetable garden instead. :wacko:

That's what the box is at the end of the picture is supposed to be for, but I still have small kids so I like having a lot of open lawn for them to play.

Ironically, I just got this in my email from a garden newsletter I follow

The summer season can be a very trying time for homeowner’s and their lawns. So, here are a few general tips to help keep your lawn looking its best this summer. 1.) Keep mowing on a regular basis. Never remove more than 1/3 of the grass blades each time you mow. 2.) Keep your mowing height at least 2 ½ to 3 1/2 inches. Longer grass blades mean less stress on the turf, the crowns are shaded and protected from the heat of the sun, grass roots should grow deeper, and your turf will do much nicer during the summer than the lawns mowed close and stressed. 3.) Change your mowing pattern each time you mow. Mow east to west one week, then north to south the next. Then take it diagonally. 4.) Throw those clippings back into the turf. Returning those clippings is like one additional fertilizing each year. 5.) Have those mowers blades sharpened on a regular basis. Dull blades shred rather than cut which will give your lawn a yellowed look, and will make the grass more susceptible to disease. 6.) Clean out under the mower deck when you’re finished mowing. 7.) Water as needed. Remember the golden rule of 1 inch of rainfall every 10 days or so. If you have to supplement, do it all at one time. A deep, thorough watering makes the lawn much sturdier during drought situations, as well as being a much healthier lawn. One thorough watering is much better for the lawn, than frequent watering teases! (Best time to water the lawn is between 5 and 9AM.)

Rain Gauge Tells All! If it rained in your yard this week, or is raining right now, will you know exactly how much total rain fell in your yard? Well, you should! As a general rule of thumb, during the growing season, established plants in your yard would like about 1 inch of rain fall every 7-10 days (2 weeks max) for optimum growing conditions. And if Mother Nature doesn’t come through, then you need to! So, how will you know how much rain fall your yard had? Don’t let pop up showers fool you. Get a rain gauge. Rain gauges come in all shapes and sizes and designs, so which one you choose is really up to you. The important thing is to have that rain gauge positioned in your yard, so that it’s in an open and unobstructed area – like 15-20′ away from single story buildings, 30′ from 2 story buildings, and away from trees and shrubs. Read your gauge either after each rain fall, or at the end of each day, and chart it for the 7-10 day period – that will tell you whether or not you need to water, and how much needs to be applied. Compare your totals to the Local 12 weather center to see how much your yard varied from the area’s overall totals. If you have a problem reading the gauge, try putting a drop of food coloring in the gauge – colors the water and makes it easier to see. Remember, 1 inch of rain fall every 7 – 10 days or so during the growing season. If Mother Nature doesn’t come through, it’s up to you to fill the gaps. Do that all at one time with a deep and thorough watering. And now you’ll know for sure how much your yard needs, after reading your rain gauge!

Regarding the pattern you see in the pictures: I would water the grass at least twice as described above. Any grass that went dormant should start to revive. Your lawn could just have randomly gone dormant in that pattern. It's not a mole. You'd see the dirt mounds. Might be grubs. But if you haven't been watering well, it is most likely just going dormant IMO.

Also, get your soil tested. Its easy and a great tool to know exactly what to add. You should be able to get a kit from your local state university extension office or a state/county water conservation department. I've heard these kits are more accurate than the kind you might buy at a HD/Lowes.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

I've got some crabgrass creeping in the backyard. I'm thinking of burning the whole yard. :wacko:

Check your local nursery, there are sprays that work pretty well for that and pre-emergents that you can put down in the spring to prevent more next year.

Ironically, I just got this in my email from a garden newsletter I follow

Regarding the pattern you see in the pictures: I would water the grass at least twice as described above. Any grass that went dormant should start to revive. Your lawn could just have randomly gone dormant in that pattern. It's not a mole. You'd see the dirt mounds. Might be grubs. But if you haven't been watering well, it is most likely just going dormant IMO.

Also, get your soil tested. Its easy and a great tool to know exactly what to add. You should be able to get a kit from your local state university extension office or a state/county water conservation department. I've heard these kits are more accurate than the kind you might buy at a HD/Lowes.

On the article, I try to cut my grass higher, but right now it's just not growing much with the drought. Also, I get a lot of Live Oak leaves on the ground. So much so that if I mulch every time they will totally coat my grass. I usually bag my first two cuts in the Spring & then mulch from there. Otherwise I'm afraid the acid in the leaves will kill the grass all together. I do change my mowing pattern, though never diagonally. Some areas are difficult to do that though due to the trees. I do need to sharpen more often, actually every time I mow more likely due to the high sand and leaf content. I hate having to clean the dirt & grass out of my garage so I always use the blower on the mower before putting it up. I usually water every day & saturate, but I kinda have to do it in sections because my water pressure sucks and I can only run one or two sprinklers at a time and get a decent flow.

I did think about getting the soil tested. My biggest worry is that there is some type of run-off or drainage problem & chemicals are poisoning my yard and possibly us and I was hoping that someone here might be able to confirm or debunk that possibility.

Take a sample from the effected area and the non-effected area and have it tested. Many things could cause this, amoung them critters, PH level, etc. The test results will tell you more often than not. You might need to aerify the area also, and not by hand mind you.

Oh and btw Scotts dry products don't work very well at all and are overpriced too boot.