[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Been there

bushwacked

Tourist falls into blow hole.

Unfortunate stuff. An undeveloped area with a basalt shelf that goes out into the sea. Massive sea wave erosion has worked away on said shelf and you get to see impressive geyser like spurts from the wave action ( :wacko:). I witnessed someone very close to this blowhole several months ago and gave him a friendly warning that it was probably a bit to dangerous to stand directly adjacent to it and stare down.

Tourist falls into blow hole.

Unfortunate stuff. An undeveloped area with a basalt shelf that goes out into the sea. Massive sea wave erosion has worked away on said shelf and you get to see impressive geyser like spurts from the wave action ( :wacko:). I witnessed someone very close to this blowhole several months ago and gave him a friendly warning that it was probably a bit to dangerous to stand directly adjacent to it and stare down.

I've been to the one on Oahu several times and it always amazes me how many people go near that thing.

Sad story.

Sad. I've seen some people do some very foolish stuff in Hawaii including getting too close to one of these. Once, in Volcanoes National Park along the shoreline we happened upon a group of guys sitting in a tide pool. They were all soaked and whooping it up so we knew something was up. What it ended up being was that when the waves would hit the 20' cliff below, the spray would shoot up into the air about another 20' and shower down on them in the tide pool. Where they were at was very well protected by a ridge & had a good sandy bottom, so we decided to join them and was having a blast. You couldn't imagine the force that water came down with, it was amazing. Then one of these guys had the bright idea of going and sitting on top of the ridge. We and his friends even told him it was a bad idea. When the next wave hit the guy disappeared. Luckily, he was able to just hold on and his friends were able to grab him before he washed off the cliff. Even if the guy had lived through the fall and gotten away before the next wave slammed him against the cliff, there was no where to get back up for miles around.