[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steve Smith (NYG) to Philly

montster

I never mentioned the 2010 season but was more speaking of the current, 2011 season :wacko:

It's the actual long term contracts that actually cause the rift. It backs them into a corner for if the become weak in other areas they either need to trade those players out to fix the holes or just hope they can draft to fix the holes. Not to get off on baseball, but one only needs to look at the 2000-2005 Rockies to see how this can devastate a team. Granted, those pitchers they spent the farm on were older pitchers, but just as an example.. Or look at the 2003 World Series winners, Florida Marlins.

The Eagles have historically been one of the best teams with regards to managing the salary cap so I am willing to defer to them on the matter and trust what they are doing or attempting to do.

I never mentioned the 2010 season but was more speaking of the current, 2011 season :wacko:

It's the actual long term contracts that actually cause the rift. It backs them into a corner for if the become weak in other areas they either need to trade those players out to fix the holes or just hope they can draft to fix the holes. Not to get off on baseball, but one only needs to look at the 2000-2005 Rockies to see how this can devastate a team. Granted, those pitchers they spent the farm on were older pitchers, but just as an example.. Or look at the 2003 World Series winners, Florida Marlins.

You are comparing a capped sport to an uncapped sport (Baseball). The Rockies and Marlins fell apart because they didn't WANT to spend the money to keep the players.

Brilliant move by Philly... When you have one of your top receivers wanting a new contract and the other still sick from an undisclosed disease, your best move is to bring in a WR who should be ready by around midseason for competition... Situation resolved. [/sarcasm]

Apparently a little earlier then midseason:

Eagles | Steve Smith unlikely to start on PUP list

Thu, 11 Aug 2011 08:07:45 -0700

Philadelphia Eagles WR Steve E. Smith (knee) is expected to contribute early on and not start the season on the Physically Unable to Perform list.

kffl

Definitely stings considering it's the Eagles and Smith's popularity with the fans (jersey owner here). That said, I can't blame Smith for taking the 2 mil guaranteed coming off the knee surgery.

He's talking up the knee and being ready, but do you really think he was going to say anything different without a long term deal in place? I want to see how it plays out before passing judgement. If he's back early and racking up catches on us in Week 3, we'll know who was right and who was wrong.

Ugh....one of the worst blunders of my FF career was to drop Manningham (while drunk to make it worse)cause I thought Smith was the sure fire #2 in NY. yes...you're welcome Zooty. :wacko:

Don’t forget giving me Maclin for a bag of magic beans :tup:

You should change your name to Costanza

Definitely stings considering it's the Eagles and Smith's popularity with the fans (jersey owner here). That said, I can't blame Smith for taking the 2 mil guaranteed coming off the knee surgery.

He's talking up the knee and being ready, but do you really think he was going to say anything different without a long term deal in place? I want to see how it plays out before passing judgement. If he's back early and racking up catches on us in Week 3, we'll know who was right and who was wrong.

IMO you do what you need to do to take care of a player of his caliber. The Giants know from experience that good WR's don't grow on trees. I'm not saying bet the farm on him being healthy and make a crazy offer, but this kid is popular and a homegrown talent. Everyone saw the dropoff with Eli when he wasn't playing.

Now they are bitching about Smith not giving them a chance to match the offer. Sour grapes, they blew it. Kind of disheartening as they used to be a lot better at this stuff.

Smith said that he could be ready to play by Week Two, possibly by Week One. He explained that the Eagles had been talking to his agent “for weeks,” and that he had been waiting for the Giants to make a decision.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/...ins-assessment/

I've got Smith on my dynasty, so I hope it's true.