[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keeper League

Taylorjt4

Ive been in a yahoo league for about 7 years now, this year the commish wanted to make it a keeper league. You can keep one player that you drafted and kept all year.

The odd thing is, you lose a draft pick for the round you drafted that person last year.

For example, Arian Foster was drafted in the 6th round last year, so that owner keeps Foster and loses his 6th round pick, he still gets a 1st round pick.Is it just me or is that totally off the wall??

I've never done a keeper league so I dont think that is the norm, but it is really bothering me.

Thanks in advance for the replies

Ok, so it wasnt as crazy as I thought it was. Still not real happy about it but, oh well. My best keeper is gonna be Philip Rivers who was a 3rd round or Andre Johnson my 1st round pick.....

It's pretty well BS that they change the rules effective immediately. This is the kind of change that needs to have a year to take effect - people might have done different drafting, trading, or pickups last season had they known it was going to be a keeper league. The keeper method in and of itself is pretty standard and pretty neat - it really rewards those that do their homework and get it right in late drafts but it's not overly penalizing to those that miss.

Also, make sure you get an answer for:

1. Pickups - what is their keeper value?

2. Does Foster cost a 6th for the rest of his life? Or does this escalate somehow? Is there a limit to how long he can be kept?

Edited by flemingd

Our keeper league allows you to keep 2 at any position, but you lose your first two (2) picks ---round 1 and 2...I got Foster in round 8 last year, but no such luck for me to get a 2nd round pick....of course I'm keeping Chris Johnson-Titans & Arian Foster....also had McFadden & Rodgers so two keepers is a shame..like to keep about 6 off my team that was 12-2 last year...oh well...drafting strategy with the base I have can't complain... :wacko:

So on the heels of this topic, I need to decide on a keeper. Here are my top choices and the round pick I would lose

Andre Johnson Rd 1

Philip Rivers Rd 3

Antonio Gates Rd 5

Knowshon Moreno Rd 11

Im leaning towards Moreno just because of the value..

any other opinions?

So on the heels of this topic, I need to decide on a keeper. Here are my top choices and the round pick I would lose

Andre Johnson Rd 1

Philip Rivers Rd 3

Antonio Gates Rd 5

Knowshon Moreno Rd 11

Im leaning towards Moreno just because of the value..

any other opinions?

No point in keeping Andre of Rivers since you could probably get them in that round or later in the actual draft....maybe Gates or maybe Moreno. Not high on Moreno personally so i would go with Gates

For starters, the keeper league I played in was an optional up to 4 players but you lost picks off the front of the draft regardless of where you took them. However, I do like the rule about losing the pick you took them at because it opens things up a bit.

That said, you should establish that you're going to be a keeper league starting the next year, not this year. And especially if you're going to set it up like this. Seems to me like the guys who grabbed Vick off the waiver wire or picked up Foster late would be pushing for this and that's not right. In short, no rule should be adopted that automatically benefits some players over others. And this one certainly does. Just like you shouldn't change to PPR scoring after the draft or something like that.

For starters, the keeper league I played in was an optional up to 4 players but you lost picks off the front of the draft regardless of where you took them. However, I do like the rule about losing the pick you took them at because it opens things up a bit.

That said, you should establish that you're going to be a keeper league starting the next year, not this year. And especially if you're going to set it up like this. Seems to me like the guys who grabbed Vick off the waiver wire or picked up Foster late would be pushing for this and that's not right. In short, no rule should be adopted that automatically benefits some players over others. And this one certainly does. Just like you shouldn't change to PPR scoring after the draft or something like that.

Definitely this. That is a huge FF pet-peeve of mine when people complain about pre-existing rules when they work against them, and definitely more so to lobby to change scoring/rules that works to their advantage (which I agree, it's probably the ones who got a Foster, Hillis, Vick for cheap that want to have their cake and eat it too)... All owners have the right to know what rules they're playing under before you begin, and especially in this situation, it is not fair to owners who were not planning for a keeper situation and might have acted differently with that knowledge.

Definitely this. That is a huge FF pet-peeve of mine when people complain about pre-existing rules when they work against them, and definitely more so to lobby to change scoring/rules that works to their advantage (which I agree, it's probably the ones who got a Foster, Hillis, Vick for cheap that want to have their cake and eat it too)... All owners have the right to know what rules they're playing under before you begin, and especially in this situation, it is not fair to owners who were not planning for a keeper situation and might have acted differently with that knowledge.

I don't see the problem there. After i picked up Vick last year, as commish i instituted a rule that only players that have spent time in jail can be kept for the following season.

Well it doesnt look like the commish is going to budge on this keeper league so Im stuck....

In addition to the keepers from earlier, I can also keep Mike Williams from TB and lose my 17th round pick.

I might keep him again because of the value...

Any opinions?

Also my league starts 2 QB's each week, does that drive up the value of Philip Rivers who I could keep with my 3rd round pick?

1) Keep the team/league-specific questions in the advice forum, because this one is close to being moved there now. FYI, with keepers, it always matters what your other options are when making that decision, as well as lineup requirements, scoring, etc.

2) Who died and made your commish king of the league? A commish's job is to enforce the rules of the league, not to make them up himself after the fact and say "deal with it"... It needs to go to a league vote (particularly if there's opposition), and honestly, if the league votes in favor of the change without a restart year to allow everyone the same opportunities, then I would leave the league, because they're only acting in their own interests, not in the best interests of the league. That should never be tolerated, IMO.

Edited by delusions of granduer

In one of my leagues we do it this way... you can only keep 1 player that was drafted in any round after round 4 from the year before, and you automatically give up this year's 4th round pick regardless of who it is or where he was drafted. Works out pretty slick.

1) Keep the team/league-specific questions in the advice forum, because this one is close to being moved there now. FYI, with keepers, it always matters what your other options are when making that decision, as well as lineup requirements, scoring, etc.

2) Who died and made your commish king of the league? A commish's job is to enforce the rules of the league, not to make them up himself after the fact and say "deal with it"... It needs to go to a league vote (particularly if there's opposition), and honestly, if the league votes in favor of the change without a restart year to allow everyone the same opportunities, then I would leave the league, because they're only acting in their own interests, not in the best interests of the league. That should never be tolerated, IMO.

Sorry about that, feel free to move it.

Well he said he had a majority that was for it, but I have only seen only 2 other people that approved, and 2 that didnt approve...

I said it should be unaminous if it was to be done this year but he didnt agree. Ive thought about leaving but what does that do?

Well it doesnt look like the commish is going to budge on this keeper league so Im stuck....

In addition to the keepers from earlier, I can also keep Mike Williams from TB and lose my 17th round pick.

I might keep him again because of the value...

Any opinions?

Also my league starts 2 QB's each week, does that drive up the value of Philip Rivers who I could keep with my 3rd round pick?

I would keep Rivers for a 3rd if it's a 2 QB league. In normal leagues with 1 QB Rivers is going in the late 3rd usually, so I would bet in a two Qb he goes in the early-mid 2nd.