[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Univerity of Miami...

fingfootball

This is really a defining moment for the NCAA. Things are so far out of hand that they have to do something. I am not saying death penalty, but if there was ever going to be one it would be in a situation just like this.

I am... How can it not be? If it's not then they are more hypocritical than people make them out to be.

I am... How can it not be? If it's not then they are more hypocritical than people make them out to be.

Well, first of all I beleive there are criteria that have to be met in order to give the death penalty and I am not sure if I know what they are. Also, the NCAA saw what happened, and is still happening, to SMU and I doubt they want a program the size of The U going down for 20 years.

And like I said, if they do ever issue the death penalty again it would in a situation just like this one. But we still have to see what is true, and more importantly, what the NCAA can prove.

I have to disagree with giving the death penalty... and that goes for any team. My reason for this is that it hurts mostly people who weren't involved and the innocent. The coaches and all but approx. 10 players are all gone from Miami now. Instead you are essentially punishing a new full coaching staff and players that were preteens when this stuff went down. Secondly, you are punishing all those that rely on the business that the U of Miami football provides. The stadium crews, vendors, workers, etc., the businesses, restaurants, etc around the stadium. You hurt the ACC and all the teams within it. And for what? To punish those that are not even there anymore? Instead, they need to go after those that actually committed the offenses.

I'm not saying you can't punish them harshly, just not the death penalty.

I have to disagree with giving the death penalty... and that goes for any team. My reason for this is that it hurts mostly people who weren't involved and the innocent. The coaches and all but approx. 10 players are all gone from Miami now. Instead you are essentially punishing a new full coaching staff and players that were preteens when this stuff went down. Secondly, you are punishing all those that rely on the business that the U of Miami football provides. The stadium crews, vendors, workers, etc., the businesses, restaurants, etc around the stadium. You hurt the ACC and all the teams within it. And for what? To punish those that are not even there anymore? Instead, they need to go after those that actually committed the offenses.

I want them to get the death penalty just to see your BIL cry at the start of every football season.

That very same argument is made nearly every single time a school gets punished. More times than not, this stuff comes out after the offending players and/or coaching staff are already gone. It's the right argument, yet the school still gets punished. I just don't see how this can be any different.

I have to disagree with giving the death penalty... and that goes for any team. My reason for this is that it hurts mostly people who weren't involved and the innocent.

Yes, but it would set the precedent in modern times for if your program gets this out of control, their are severe disincentives for your school. Of course much of this stuff still needs to be corroborated, but if most of it is true I think it has to be pretty close to the death penalty. SMU got the death penalty for 60 grand. Wilfork (allegedly) received 50K himself. This also answers a lot of questions when you heard a recruit was looking at Oklahoma, USC, Texas, and Nebraska and then at the 11th hour you hear they committed to Miami.

Yes, but it would set the precedent in modern times for if your program gets this out of control, their are severe disincentives for your school. Of course much of this stuff still needs to be corroborated, but if most of it is true I think it has to be pretty close to the death penalty. SMU got the death penalty for 60 grand. Wilfork (allegedly) received 50K himself. This also answers a lot of questions when you heard a recruit was looking at Oklahoma, USC, Texas, and Nebraska and then at the 11th hour you hear they committed to Miami.

SMU got the death penalty because they continued to pay kids after the initial probation. They had kids on a payroll and were afraid if they stopped paying the kids would start talking and the true depth of the violations would come to light. Which, by the way, is exactly what happened.

SMU got the death penalty because they continued to pay kids after the initial probation. They had kids on a payroll and were afraid if they stopped paying the kids would start talking and the true depth of the violations would come to light. Which, by the way, is exactly what happened.
I agree there are some major differences between the two situations. I guess compared to the Reggie Bush/USC & Pryor/Ohio State situations, the Miami issue (even if only 50% of it is true) is heads and shoulders above the other issues. I mean, USC lost 30 scholarships and a 2 year bowl ban. Ohio state did a lot of self imposed things but I don't think the NCAA has officially said it's final verdict. With that being the precedent, what do you do to a university where 7 coaches knew of violations and 72 players were being paid, given items, or entertained with prostitutes? The NCAA would have to bring the hammer (although they probably won't give the death penalty).

I agree there are some major differences between the two situations. I guess compared to the Reggie Bush/USC & Pryor/Ohio State situations, the Miami issue (even if only 50% of it is true) is heads and shoulders above the other issues. I mean, USC lost 30 scholarships and a 2 year bowl ban. Ohio state did a lot of self imposed things but I don't think the NCAA has officially said it's final verdict. With that being the precedent, what do you do to a university where 7 coaches knew of violations and 72 players were being paid, given items, or entertained with prostitutes? The NCAA would have to bring the hammer (although they probably won't give the death penalty).

What do I do? I give them the death penalty. What will the NCAA do? Beats me, I was pretty suprised Cam Newton got off scott free after a week long or so "investigation".

While I do not glory in the potential demise of a college football program,

? Ones like this I do.

Sadly, its "demise" isn't about to happen and I doubt is even possible. The most that would happen (and don't hold your breath) is the "death penalty" - a weak name since even that is not permanent.

The NFL has been a joke for a long time, I guess it shouldn't surprise that the NCAA gradually began following suit.

Edited by BeeR