[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just when I was about to Keep P. Manning...

Dcat

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves here :wacko:

Why is that? Manning has a significant injury, he isn't getting any younger, isn't going to get as much help from the rest of the team, and IND is going to have to find a replacement for him in the very near future because it's pretty obvious Painter isn't going to be the guy.

it's pretty obvious Painter isn't going to be the guy.

Speaking of that...who is left that could possibly fit Indy's complex offense? Whoever it is, would have to know they would obviously be surrendering the gig upon Mannings return. Would a trade happen? I'm just having a hard time coming up with somebody that would fit.

Speaking of that...who is left that could possibly fit Indy's complex offense? Whoever it is, would have to know they would obviously be surrendering the gig upon Mannings return. Would a trade happen? I'm just having a hard time coming up with somebody that would fit.

Orton?

:wacko:

Why is that? Manning has a significant injury, he isn't getting any younger, isn't going to get as much help from the rest of the team, and IND is going to have to find a replacement for him in the very near future because it's pretty obvious Painter isn't going to be the guy.

because all that is in question at the moment is his availability for the start of the season...which still hasn't been ruled out. The injury was in no way considered career threatening, and at 35, he still has 2-3+ productive years left...maybe not at prime-Manning production levels, but productive nonetheless.

BTW, my comment wasn't so much directed at your post regarding a Favre-like slide...it was more of the "take manning out of the equation" posts. But since you brought up Favre....if Manning can play another five years, and take Indy to the brink of yet another Super Bowl (as Favre did with MIN)....is that such a bad thing? Oh, and if comparing him to a Favre-like slide....you do know that 2007 & 2009 Favre out-stated 1992, 1993, 1999, 2000, 2002 & 2005 Favre? Even in the twilight of his career, except for the final year, he was still better than 75% of the starting QBs in the NFL.

I think there are still some solid-to-great years left for Manning.

because all that is in question at the moment is his availability for the start of the season...which still hasn't been ruled out. The injury was in no way considered career threatening, and at 35, he still has 2-3+ productive years left...maybe not at prime-Manning production levels, but productive nonetheless.

I think there are still some solid-to-great years left for Manning.

Manning himself on his injury

“If I said that missing training camp had no impact on that season (2008), then that would be going against everything I believe about off-season work. When I get back to being healthy, I will give you as accurate a description as I can. It is hard for me to predict, because it is a different injury. I want to get back very soon, but I certainly have some work to do.”

More Manning on himself and more

"I won't play in [the] preseason. I am going to need these next two weeks, every single second," Manning said. "I think in two weeks I'll have a better answer for you. I'm going to need these next two weeks to get even healthier."

and from the second source above via Bill Polian

“Once the nerves regenerate properly, he’ll be ready," vice chairman Bill Polian told ESPN Saturday. "When that happens, he’ll be ready to ramp up immediately. It’s impossible to predict.”

Sounds like you know a whole lot more than the Colts' organization or even Manning himself. You aren't sleeping with Peyton, are you?

BTW, my comment wasn't so much directed at your post regarding a Favre-like slide...it was more of the "take manning out of the equation" posts. But since you brought up Favre....if Manning can play another five years, and take Indy to the brink of yet another Super Bowl (as Favre did with MIN)....is that such a bad thing? Oh, and if comparing him to a Favre-like slide....you do know that 2007 & 2009 Favre out-stated 1992, 1993, 1999, 2000, 2002 & 2005 Favre? Even in the twilight of his career, except for the final year, he was still better than 75% of the starting QBs in the NFL.

Why don't we ask the Jets and the Vikes how Favre worked out for them?

Manning himself on his injury

“If I said that missing training camp had no impact on that season (2008), then that would be going against everything I believe about off-season work. When I get back to being healthy, I will give you as accurate a description as I can. It is hard for me to predict, because it is a different injury. I want to get back very soon, but I certainly have some work to do.”

More Manning on himself and more

"I won't play in [the] preseason. I am going to need these next two weeks, every single second," Manning said. "I think in two weeks I'll have a better answer for you. I'm going to need these next two weeks to get even healthier."

and from the second source above via Bill Polian

“Once the nerves regenerate properly, he’ll be ready," vice chairman Bill Polian told ESPN Saturday. "When that happens, he’ll be ready to ramp up immediately. It’s impossible to predict.”

Sounds like you know a whole lot more than the Colts' organization or even Manning himself. You aren't sleeping with Peyton, are you?

Uh....I posted the cliff notes of what you posted back on page 1 of this thread :wacko: its kinda what got this whole conversation going. But thanks for playing :lol:

And please don't evey try to compare the drama that was Favre retiring and unretiring and holding teams hostage to Manning. You are making yourself look silly. If you want to compare stats, I'll play...to answer your question, I would bet that the Vikings were exceptionally pleased by his 4200/33 TD season in 2009. :tup: Which is exactly why I stated that I think Manning, at only 35, still has some good-to-great seasons left.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

This could be the beginning of a Favre-like slide (minus the sexting) for Manning. He's 35 yrs old and this is a pretty serious injury. I know how well he ended up last year, but he also threw for WAY more attempts last season than any other time in his career. He doesn't have any running game to support him and the D is looking slow. His risk factor looks to be way up from previous seasons, which would make me lower his expectations a bit given where you are going to have to draft him to roster him.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see a sub-Manning season this year, followed by the drafting of his successor high in the draft next year. With the lack of running help, teams are going to come after him full bore, and it wouldn't take much for that neck injury to reoccur. We could be seeing some of the last snaps that the guy who is probably the greatest QB in NFL history may be taking in his superb career.

Without a 100% Manning, this is going to be a pretty vulnerable Colts' team, meaning they're going to have to rely on him even more. That seems to spell a nasty cycle where Manning is going to take a beating, and I don't know if he can take that anymore..

I think you are being overly dramatic here. Favre played extremely well at 40. Peyton is only 35. He can easily have three to five good years left. If this injury was that serious, there is no way the Colts sign him to that extension. There is no way they don't sign a quality veteran free agent. He'll be fine. He'll play Week 1.

Uh....I posted the cliff notes of what you posted back on page 1 of this thread its kinda what got this whole conversation going. But thanks for playing

And yet here you are like Kevin Bacon in Animal House. "All is well!"

And please don't evey try to compare the drama that was Favre retiring and unretiring and holding teams hostage to Manning. You are making yourself look silly. If you want to compare stats, I'll play...to answer your question, I would bet that the Vikings were exceptionally pleased by his 4200/33 TD season in 2009. :wacko: Which is exactly why I stated that I think Manning, at only 35, still has some good-to-great seasons left.

And how do you suppose Vikes' fans see that INT that Favre threw in that fabulous '09 season that ended their last shot at a Super Bowl for the foreseeable future? Do you think all those gaudy regular season stats are more important to them than that awful pass in the playoffs?

Silly? Oooh, that hurts. Manning isn't Favre, and I've never made that claim other than to use Favre as an example of a stud QB who when the wheels fell off saw his career erode quickly. But Favre's last 3 years - 2 very forgettable disasters of seasons with loaded teams sandwiched around a terrible playoff loss - are hardly the stuff of legend. QBs who are getting old, getting hurt, and watching their awesome careers decline before their eyes while they could be enjoying their health and their well earned riches may think differently than you do - comparing Manning to Favre the way that you are.

Silly

Edited by Bronco Billy

I think you are being overly dramatic here. Favre played extremely well at 40. Peyton is only 35. He can easily have three to five good years left. If this injury was that serious, there is no way the Colts sign him to that extension. There is no way they don't sign a quality veteran free agent. He'll be fine. He'll play Week 1.

A neck injury with nerves that apparently are very slow in regenerating? Yeah, I guess that's nothing worse than having a cold.

Guess I had it all wrong. Sorry.

A neck injury with nerves that apparently are very slow in regenerating? Yeah, I guess that's nothing worse than having a cold.

Guess I had it all wrong. Sorry.

I'm sure you know more than the Colts doctors and orgainization BB. :wacko:

Comparing Manning to Farve is silly?

:tup:

Edited by CaptainHook

I'm sure you know more than the Colts doctors and orgainization BB. :wacko:

You read the material and the links I posted just above, right?

I hope I'm wrong - I love watching Manning play even though I could give a rat's patoot for the Colts as a whole. The best doesn't come around very often. I just don't like this kind of injury on a QB, I don't like how slowly he's progressing in his recovery, and I sure don't like what Manning's own prognosis is for himself in this recovery.

I also hate to see him come in cold when all other teams are battle tested and ready for the season to start, and I don't like that the team has shown absolutely nothing in his absence. I mean bottom-of-the-barrel McKay TB Bucs type awful without him.

Here's to hoping I am way off base.

Yes. I've read them. But I also think the Colts are saying and behaving identically as they did in 2008 with Manning's knee injury.

And their front office moves speak louder than anything. If there is legitimate concern about Peyton's neck, you don't sign the guy to a 5 year $90 million contract. What you do is go find a veteran QB that can lead the team for however long he is out.

They did neither of these things, which tells me, he is gonna be fine. Will he be rusty? Absolutely. He was in 2008. But he'll be out there. There was also a quote about how he has not thrown a football, but he has been seen doing just that on at least one occasion.

I'm basing this on the Colts actions. Not their words.

I would love to see Favre join the Colts.

I would rather they signed Jeff George. Hell I would rather they signed Mike freaking Pagel.

Actually I thought Orlsavsky (sp) looked OK the other night vs the Skins. They should cut Painter, keep 'ski, and take their chances for the game or 2 that Manning is out if needed.

Edited by BeeR

Actually I thought Orlsavsky (sp) looked OK the other night vs the Skins. They should cut Painter, keep 'ski, and take their chances for the game or 2 that Manning is out if needed.

The Sirius NFL guys were in Indy camp last week and were all over this guy's jock. Not sure where all the Painter talk is coming from, it sounded to me like Orlavsky was head and shoulders the man behind Manning.

And their front office moves speak louder than anything. If there is legitimate concern about Peyton's neck, you don't sign the guy to a 5 year $90 million contract.

I guess that's why Irsay is in Hattiesburg twittering about which way to turn at the Firechief?

Edited by Bronco Billy

And their front office moves speak louder than anything. If there is legitimate concern about Peyton's neck, you don't sign the guy to a 5 year $90 million contract.

You do when it's Manning and you know your team is a joke without him so trying to find another QB is like putting a band-aid on a crack in the Hoover Dam.

I have no idea what the deal is on his injury, just saying that the contract and lack of finding another QB (pretending there's much of anything out there anyway) doesn't mean much.

Edited by BeeR