[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Infra red grilling

Ursa Majoris

I was looking at some gas grills today and noticed some use an infra red technology, like this one here.

Here's a brief explanation:

The older style barbecue grill heats the air surrounding the meat to raise the temperature. The hot air temperature is what cooks the meat. This is called convection because the heat is not applied directly to the meat or other food you are cooking. Instead the air surrounding the food is heated. With infrared bbq grills, the infrared grill burner, made of ceramic tile or stainless steel, is heated by either propane or gas. The temperature gets very hot, usually between 450 and 900 degrees Fahrenheit, which means the meat cooks fast and doesn’t dry out. The direct heating source produces uniform heat which also helps to cook the meat or other food more completely and thoroughly.

Anyone got experience of these? While they sound OK for steak, what about chicken, salmon, skewers, corn, etc, etc?

I have a sear station on my grill that I use all the time. It is incredible.

Steak's come out great - for a 1.5" filet I would sear 2 minutes per side and then regular grill it for maybe 3 minutes per side. Delicious.

As for chicken, it makes the most moist chicken I have ever had. I get boneless breast fillets, pound them a bit flatter and season them. Then sear then 45 seconds, turn 90 degrees for 45 seconds, then do the other side the same way. A total of three minutes and you have perfect crosshatch grill marks and very juicy chicken. It just does a great job with chicken.

Other stuff like shrimp I would not use it because they cook plenty fast on a grill anyway. I have had Mahi-Mahi and tuna on the sear station and they are very good as well.

I would not buy a grill without a sear zone to it. It cooks very fast and really helps seal in the juices. Most all those steaks you eat at high end steak houses are all done on sear stations that are 1000 degrees or so.

We bought an infrared this summer to replace a 17 yr old gas grill. LOVE it!!

I concur with DMD's assessment. Everything sears beautifully, sealing in the juiciness. Of course..stick with bonein chicken. Skinless/boneless....not so much.

Don't be afraid of the 'seasoning of the stainless grill plates'......seems everyone thinks their grill should stay shiny and new looking...lol.

We bought an infrared this summer to replace a 17 yr old gas grill. LOVE it!!

I concur with DMD's assessment. Everything sears beautifully, sealing in the juiciness. Of course..stick with bonein chicken. Skinless/boneless....not so much.

Don't be afraid of the 'seasoning of the stainless grill plates'......seems everyone thinks their grill should stay shiny and new looking...lol.

For use as a regular open flame grill, can the plates be slotted in and out? We do quite a lot of boneless chicken breast, salmon, fish in general........

For use as a regular open flame grill, can the plates be slotted in and out? We do quite a lot of boneless chicken breast, salmon, fish in general........

We have this exact grill.....except a 3 burner. The grates are the stainless z-wave design. I'd recommend using the fish baskets for fish, just for the ease of use and no real danger of the fish falling apart. Or maybe just use a piece of foil right on the grates and a little lemon butter.

For boneless chicken, pound out the chicken breast some with a meat mallet. Really thick chicken breasts will tend to dry out before they are cooked through. And even so, come up with some sort of basting liquid....teriyaki, lemon butter, BBQ sauce, etc. Or leave the skin on while grilling, then take it off for the last couple minutes and give it grill marks on both sides.