[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Younger People Are Angry

WaterMan

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are the police making these protests violent?

Maybe because a bunch of hippie freaks are throwing sh*t at them and not obeying orders to disperse?

During the evening protest, a number of officers were assaulted, doused with hazardous materials and hit with large rocks and bottles, which resulted in the declaration of an unlawful assembly and the order to disperse. To assist in the dispersal efforts, officers used less lethal force tactics.

At approximately 10:00pm this evening, a group of approximately 300 protesters in the area of Frank Ogawa Plaza began throwing large rocks and bottles at officers after receiving the order to disperse, which again prompted the use of less than lethal munitions

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Surprised this hasn't been posted:

Though I found something interesting...

In 1980 the F&C part of the "welfare" budget was $14 billion. In 2010 it was $95.1billion, a 600%+ increase... And the government is doing less to redistribute wealth?

Welfare = giving someone a fish

Opportunity = teaching someone to fish

IMO, handing out more welfare only increases the divide between the haves and the have nots. Is there more welfare today than in 1980, judging from your numbers I would say "yes". Is there more opportunity to succeed today than in 1980? To me, that is the real question.

Welfare = giving someone a fish

Opportunity = teaching someone to fish

IMO, handing out more welfare only increases the divide between the haves and the have nots. Is there more welfare today than in 1980, judging from your numbers I would say "yes". Is there more opportunity to succeed today than in 1980? To me, that is the real question.

Indeed. As well as that, there's the point I made in post #520 - if welfare has increased that much, it points to wages being suppressed beyond inflation and thus goes to the heart of the entire OWS point.

Police put an Iraq Veteran in the hospital during the Oakland protests two nights ago. Why are the police making these protests violent?

http://www.ivaw.org/blog/press-release-mar...y-oakland-march

See this kinda crap happens when there is no one there to yell "INCOMING!!!!!"

But, seriously, other report I have read say that it is not conclusive as to what the ex-marine was hit with as the protesters were also throwing bottles and heavy rocks...

Police put an Iraq Veteran in the hospital during the Oakland protests two nights ago. Why are the police making these protests violent?

The Flea Bagger protesters have been looking for their Kent State moment the entire time. Could this be it?

How will it look when it comes out that the dude got hit by a bottle or rock thrown from one of the protesters instead of the police?

are those figures adjusted for inflation and the growth of the economy?

Not sure. But, if you use the handy dandy inflation converter online, 14.0 billion in 1980 is = $36.56 billion of 2010 dollars. So, let us assume it was not, F&C still increased by 2.6 times it's 1980 level.

ETA: and then I would also ask, were the numbers cited in the article adjusted for inflation. I would also ask is the study based on same households over that time period?

Edited by SEC=UGA

Maybe because a bunch of hippie freaks are throwing sh*t at them and not obeying orders to disperse?

Good thing the police were in riot gear before getting hit with all those rocks that line the streets. OWS recaps don't show rocks, etc being thrown. Too bad our awesome media didn't seem to catch that on film either. Everyone caught the tear gassing though. :wacko:

http://occupywallst.org/article/ows-respon...-occupyoakland/

The violence is coming and it won't be a one way street.

It won't be long now............

Maybe if we just put the OWS people in timeout and then explained the situation to them they would go on their merry way...

Good thing the police were in riot gear before getting hit with all those rocks that line the streets. OWS recaps don't show rocks, etc being thrown. Too bad our awesome media didn't seem to catch that on film either. Everyone caught the tear gassing though. :wacko:

http://occupywallst.org/article/ows-respon...-occupyoakland/

You mess with the Bull, you get the horns.

The violence is coming and it won't be a one way street.

It won't be long now............

Which is EXACTLY what the Flea Baggers were hoping for. I say, good for them. I couldn't think of a more deserving bunch of people to be on the business end of a billy club.

OWS recaps don't show rocks, etc being thrown.

The ones I saw did. But keep believing that these unemployed, lazy, uninformed dumbasses are standing up in the name of liberty and freedom. :wacko:

[OWS]Dude, they're camping in tents downtown and I hear there's some awesome Josh Gordon floating around and we can piss and sh*t on the floor and not have to clean up after ourselves or shave or shower. I have no idea why the f*ck they're protesting, but who gives a sh*t when we can piss and sh*t on the floor. You in?[/OWS]

[OWS's Buddy]We're there dude[/OWS's Buddy]

Why are the protestors setting up confrontation with municipal police? Why are they not on federal land or taking action against the institutions with which they have a beef? Their draining of the resources of overtaxed municipalities who are suffering this economy along with them makes no sense. If I have a beef with my neighbor I do not take a dump on my boss's desk.