[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Citi to BofA: 'Oh, yeah? Watch this.'

TheGrunt

UPDATE: A Citibank spokeswoman said customers can avoid the fee by opting for a “basic” checking account, having at least one direct deposit made into it each month, and making at least one automated bill payment from the account monthly.

I don't have a citibank but I do do this with Chase

Yep I again wonder why everyone doesn't belong to CUs vs banks.

Don't you have to pay some kind of a subscription fee to belong to a Credit Union? And if so, isn't that the equivalent of the types of fees that people are upset about and trying to avoid?

Credit Unions rock - at least mine does. I still use it as my primary account even though there are no branches in the new state I live in.

They call me when rates drop to see if it is OK to lower my loan payment - no fees attached. Ever had a bank do that? We've taken all of our loans through this CU, even though my wife has always worked for banks. A phone call and a fax and they'll have you a check for an auto loan in two hours. Will never give that up. :wacko:

Oh, and no - there are no fees - even account end ATM fees when using abother bank's ATM.

Credit Unions rock - at least mine does. I still use it as my primary account even though there are no branches in the new state I live in.

They call me when rates drop to see if it is OK to lower my loan payment - no fees attached. Ever had a bank do that? We've taken all of our loans through this CU, even though my wife has always worked for banks. A phone call and a fax and they'll have you a check for an auto loan in two hours. Will never give that up. :wacko:

Oh, and no - there are no fees - even account end ATM fees when using abother bank's ATM.

I think the only real disadvantage of CUs is their individual lack of wide presence e.g. ATMs but that can be compensated for by a bit of forethought and planning. If Wells Fargo makes me pay a red cent more than they do right now, I'll be joining the CU search too. I don't need WF as much as they need me.

This is my first time with a credit union. In terms of little to no fees and great customer service, I can see why CU's are awesome. However, the downside seems to be that I can't just walk into a nearby CU and take some cash out. I have to use an ATM, which of course has a $300 limit (although I know I can probably change that). So for those of you that have been with a CU for awhile - how do take take cash out, for example, if you need more than usual for like a vacation or something?

This is my first time with a credit union. In terms of little to no fees and great customer service, I can see why CU's are awesome. However, the downside seems to be that I can't just walk into a nearby CU and take some cash out. I have to use an ATM, which of course has a $300 limit (although I know I can probably change that). So for those of you that have been with a CU for awhile - how do take take cash out, for example, if you need more than usual for like a vacation or something?

I'm confused, I've never had any problems withdrawing cash. (Of course, I normally just use ATMs and I can't remember ever needing to withdraw more than $400 at a time.)

Can't you just write a check out to "cash" to get money out? Why wouldn't they let you withdraw money?

I'm confused, I've never had any problems withdrawing cash. (Of course, I normally just use ATMs and I can't remember ever needing to withdraw more than $400 at a time.)

Can't you just write a check out to "cash" to get money out? Why wouldn't they let you withdraw money?

What I mean is how there are Bank of Americas everywhere. So, heh.. Like, if I'm going to Vegas for a weekend I might takeout $1,000 or so and it's easy because I can just walk into the bank and get the money.

As for checks.. Not sure. I do know USAA has an app that allows you to deposit checks simply by taking a picture of it. Saves the hassle of driving...

I guess I'm just trying to see if there are any downsides to a CU. Thus far, it seems like there is no comparison and people are silly or lazy if they stick with the BofA, Chase, Citi banks that were all bailed out and plan to nickel and dime their customers. Heck, I was lazy for waiting this long to make the switch. Gotta thank BofA for giving me the last push to finally get out the door and never look back.

What I mean is how there are Bank of Americas everywhere. So, heh.. Like, if I'm going to Vegas for a weekend I might takeout $1,000 or so and it's easy because I can just walk into the bank and get the money.

I guess I still don't get why this is a problem--you can use any ATM that you want (and some credit unions reimburse you for using other banks' ATMs). And you can use your debit card to pay for stuff that require cash.

At worst, take out $300 per day for 3-4 days before you go on your trip. Then you can still use your ATM to get another $300 per day and use your debit card to pay for other things. (If you are blowing $1500+ dollars on a 3 day Vegas trip on things that you need to pay cash for, then I would say that perhaps you need to limit your use of drugs and hookers.)

I guess I still don't get why this is a problem--you can use any ATM that you want (and some credit unions reimburse you for using other banks' ATMs). And you can use your debit card to pay for stuff that require cash.

At worst, take out $300 per day for 3-4 days before you go on your trip. Then you can still use your ATM to get another $300 per day and use your debit card to pay for other things. (If you are blowing $1500+ dollars on a 3 day Vegas trip on things that you need to pay cash for, then I would say that perhaps you need to limit your use of drugs and hookers.)

+1

Vegas can get intense. Don't judge me. :wacko:

Don't you have to pay some kind of a subscription fee to belong to a Credit Union? And if so, isn't that the equivalent of the types of fees that people are upset about and trying to avoid?

Nope. Not mine anyway. Don't mean to speak for all, just have belonged to several w/very minimal fees, generally.

nope

Nope

Wow! This genuinely surprises me... I will definitely be looking into a Credit Union if Wells Fargo tries any of their experimental fees on me.

:wacko:

Wow! This genuinely surprises me... I will definitely be looking into a Credit Union if Wells Fargo tries any of their experimental fees on me.

:wacko:

Yeah, I think someone already mentioned it too but my CU reimburses me any fees that I'm charged for using out of network ATMs. I think there's a limit though - 5x IIRC