[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Whos sick of Matt Ryan?

robert terni

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's with all the hate for Ryan? Did you pick him in the 1st or 2nd round? Dumb on you. Did you pick him in the 6th or 7th? Then you should be OK.

I took him at 5.06 but not without some trepidation as I certainly don't consider him more than a second tier guy. I covered him with the IMO very underrated Fitzpatrick and it's worked out pretty well so far.

I agree that Ryan's best games are likely still to come.

the great jumbo has hit on almost everything except ryan, he had him #5 or #4b behind brees if I recall correctly. You should still pay for this info, I mean these huddle guys have the sports almanac from Back To The Furture 2. Some misses but all in all great info. EXCEPT RYAN ERRRR!

Yep, big whiff. I ranked him 6th. Rodgers, Rivers, Brady, Vick, Brees, Ryan. Can't hit 'em all. The weird thing is, there's been no excuse (injury, schedule, game plan, etc).

Much like Cutler (was actually reading an article about this today), I'm really starting to think that the O-line getting Ryan killed back there is getting to him mentally... The O-line did play a bit better in the GB game despite injuries, but Ryan is definitely a QB who relies on getting into a rhythm with his WRs.

I think this is also why you still see him forcing to ball to Roddy and Tony G, and keeping it simple for Julio... Ryan and Roddy were able to tear defenses apart last year through anticipation, which Ryan is as good at as anyone... Literally as soon as Roddy comes out of his break, the ball is already on him.

He just doesn't have that big arm to just put it up and let his receivers make plays (though hopefully he'll improve on that with a weapon like Julio when they get into a rhythm), so especially with the O-line woes, it seems to be working better to disrupt his timing than to try to take away his receivers....

But Ryan being a bit two-faced is nothing terribly new. I still think that as the season goes on and he gets more comfortable back there, you'll see the return of Matty Ice who makes big plays when you have to have them...

I hear they're going back to the basics. Run, run, pass. Like they should.

I got sick of Ryan. I traded him. Taking a chance. Ryan, Steve Smith, Witten for Rodgers, Pettigrew and S. Holmes. From the outside, it's a little tilted towards him, but I gotta feeling Smith is going to get hurt at some point and Ryan plain old stinks.

:wacko: someone might make a buck. W can't let that happen.

I guess one could go read what the "experts" at the free sites have to say, but of course one only gets what one pays for.

The staff of the Huddle has helped me (and certainly more than a few others) win quite a bit of scratch over the years, the minimal investment has been more than worth it :tup:

So why would I pay for a FF prediction site when I don't play FF for money? Especially the amount of money some of you play for.

The Huddle costs roughly $30/year, which means that for .08/day you could absolutely dominate the rest of the kids in your kindergarten class :wacko:

Atlanta's offense is trying to be something they're not. The Julio Jones pickup is right in line with this. They felt that they had everything they needed except for the explosive element so they spent a well publicized fortune's worth of draft picks to trade up for Julio. The offensive scheme last year was a conservative, short passing, establish the run, time of possession approach. This year it's been a lot more throwing the ball downfield, higher risk. It's not working as well, and their time of possession is way down, as are Matty's numbers.

They'll get better and Matty's numbers will get better as they acclimate to the offense, but it's a growing process, and as they're discovering, that's not the type of QB Matty is. Look for them to start trying to control the ball more too.

As a local & long time Falcons fan, I never bought in to the approach. I always felt that they needed a breakaway back, which would open up the offense way more than another WR to complement Roddy. Turner is good for what he is, which is no great speed, no great cutting ability, not much breakaway ability, strictly a downhill runner. The O-line has been outstanding for the past couple of years, and Turners numbers are more a testament to them rather than to Turner. Hell, if they even had a Sproles type back to keep those linebackers honest, or a Kendall Hunter...would love to see them make a move like that....too late now though.

Edited by SecondString

Atlanta's offense is trying to be something they're not. The Julio Jones pickup is right in line with this. They felt that they had everything they needed except for the explosive element so they spent a well publicized fortune's worth of draft picks to trade up for Julio. The offensive scheme last year was a conservative, short passing, establish the run, time of possession approach. This year it's been a lot more throwing the ball downfield, higher risk. It's not working as well, and their time of possession is way down, as are Matty's numbers.

They'll get better and Matty's numbers will get better as they acclimate to the offense, but it's a growing process, and as they're discovering, that's not the type of QB Matty is. Look for them to start trying to control the ball more too.

As a local & long time Falcons fan, I never bought in to the approach. I always felt that they needed a breakaway back, which would open up the offense way more than another WR to complement Roddy. Turner is good for what he is, which is no great speed, no great cutting ability, not much breakaway ability, strictly a downhill runner. The O-line has been outstanding for the past couple of years, and Turners numbers are more a testament to them rather than to Turner. Hell, if they even had a Sproles type back to keep those linebackers honest, or a Kendall Hunter...would love to see them make a move like that....too late now though.

good thoughts, and I agree they have changed the offensive scheme that doesn't suit their style and personnel. However, if used correctly, the addition of a quality WR such as Julio Jones can be just as effective as having a breakaway back. Basically the same thing you said, just with a WR used properly in conservative, short passing gaming. Much in the same vein as a Lance Moore is in New Orleans. But Mularkey HAS to design plays that allow for YAC... not out patterns to the sideline and curl routes where the WR's come to a stop to catch the ball. They're getting nothing beyond the yardage from the catch.

The Falcons are one of the tops with passing attempts in the NFL and only around 12th in passing yards. THe ones that do it correctly are giving their WRs a chance to break away from the defenders and make those extra yards.

Edited by millerx

good thoughts, and I agree they have changed the offensive scheme that doesn't suit their style and personnel. However, if used correctly, the addition of a quality WR such as Julio Jones can be just as effective as having a breakaway back. Basically the same thing you said, just with a WR used properly in conservative, short passing gaming. Much in the same vein as a Lance Moore is in New Orleans. But Mularkey HAS to design plays that allow for YAC... not out patterns to the sideline and curl routes where the WR's come to a stop to catch the ball. They're getting nothing beyond the yardage from the catch.

The Falcons are one of the tops with passing attempts in the NFL and only around 12th in passing yards. THe ones that do it correctly are giving their WRs a chance to break away from the defenders and make those extra yards.

You're right, it can work with Julio, will take some time though. I have felt for a long time that they need an upgrade at RB. I mean, do you see the holes they open for Turner, particulaly the last two years? A breakaway back would have a career. I've long felt that Turner is overrated.

You're right, it can work with Julio, will take some time though. I have felt for a long time that they need an upgrade at RB. I mean, do you see the holes they open for Turner, particulaly the last two years? A breakaway back would have a career. I've long felt that Turner is overrated.

There's a Huddle player news item re: Gonzo suggesting they should go to no-huddle. This means less Turner and more Snelling (or maybe Rodgers). I'll tell anyone who'll listen...the offense runs better overall when Turner is not on the field. Gonzo's comment isn't so much a dig at Turner as it's a dig at Smith and Mularkey's philosophy and stated preference to get back to a run heavy/play-action game.

I don't agree Turner is overrated. If anything he was underrated, carried a heavy load a few years ago, took 2 years to fully recover, now 4 months shy of 30 and on a team that wants to commit to him but really shouldn't. He's a good back but good in the way Cedric Benson is good...he needs the offense to run a certain way (ie. a sustained commitment to the run) but it's a recipe for scoring in the low 20s and the defense just isn't good enough. Roddy, Jones, Gonzo, Douglas, Weems and (to a lesser extent) Snelling or Rodgers are a dynamic group of guys who under a dynamic system like the Colts or Pats or GB could do a lot of damage even with a guy like Ryan at QB. They'd need a little more depth (another athletic TE would help) but the core guys could do it.

Ryan will probably be stuck at what he did last year but they need more and that's really up to Smith and Mularkey.

Edited by kingfish247

There's a Huddle player news item re: Gonzo suggesting they should go to no-huddle. This means less Turner and more Snelling (or maybe Rodgers). I'll tell anyone who'll listen...the offense runs better overall when Turner is not on the field. Gonzo's comment isn't so much a dig at Turner as it's a dig at Smith and Mularkey's philosophy and stated preference to get back to a run heavy/play-action game.

I don't agree Turner is overrated. If anything he was underrated, carried a heavy load a few years ago, took 2 years to fully recover, now 4 months shy of 30 and on a team that wants to commit to him but really shouldn't. He's a good back but good in the way Cedric Benson is good...he needs the offense to run a certain way (ie. a sustained commitment to the run) but it's a recipe for scoring in the low 20s and the defense just isn't good enough. Roddy, Jones, Gonzo, Douglas, Weems and (to a lesser extent) Snelling or Rodgers are a dynamic group of guys who under a dynamic system like the Colts or Pats or GB could do a lot of damage even with a guy like Ryan at QB. They'd need a little more depth (another athletic TE would help) but the core guys could do it.

Ryan will probably be stuck at what he did last year but they need more and that's really up to Smith and Mularkey.

Yeah, I would absolutely love to see them try to get Rodgers more involved, and I'm sure they will, but probably not any time soon. You're right about the D...and yes, Turner has carried a heavy load, I'm just a believer that their offense would benefit more from a different type of back. Either way, Matty's gotta get better, and you're right that Mularkey & Smith have gotta get it figured out. They entered pre-season like a couple of kids with a new toy (Julio & their accompanying new offensive scheme).

Throughout the off-season, their mantra (including coming from Dimitroff) was that they had all of the pieces in place for a championship, but needed the dynamic offensive spark-plug, game-breaking ability. I doubt they'll abandon ship altogether on that idea, but I bet they temper the game plans some to more resemble last year's.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/i...ld-help-falcons

Here's a related atrticle I stumbled across this morning.

Edited by SecondString