[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dog owners - Questions

MrTed46

Australian Shepherd - Lab mix. Got her from the pound when she was three months old. She's six now and still highly active.

She's home alone 3-4 days per week, depending on my schedule.

When a puppy, through her first year, we crated her. Crating worked out well at first but she was just too high energy dog. I installed a doggy door in the door leading to the garage and we leave the garage door up enough for her to go in and out as much as she wants. Problem solved.

What kind of dog? Two mutts. One is a lab-hound mix, the other is a catahoula-chow mix Both medium size dogs. (~50 lbs)

Is someone home with them the majority of the day? These days, yes, because my wife has been working from home. Typically, however, they're alone from around 10am to 5pm. I do run them off-leash every morning and they get a second walk at night.

If not, how long do you leave them alone? Answered above.

If they are alone, do you leave them indoors or outdoors? They have a dog door, so they have access to both.

From what i understand, the owners of the junk yard left them there. One of their dogs just gave birth and they didn't want them. I hope they are not inbred.

Mastiffs can be a hand full.

OK...that said...here's 36 years w/ dogs in a capsule:

Cissy (1975),

A Dalmation mix from a kennel, paid $40 for her.

Once she licked me on the nose I was convinced.

She was a nightmare. Chewed everything in sight. Crates were considered cruel in those days so I made plywood barriers to keep her in the kitchen. She got over the first set 6' high so I extended it to the full door height. She then tried to eat thru the barrier. She got into the basement and ate my pool table, six steps of carpeting and more. Long story on that. We went thru 2 years of that, almost gave her up but got a trainer who's methods might seem cruel today, but it worked. No beatings...long story. Whatever, it worked. We took down the barriers, she had the run of the house and was fine. Too many stories here to explain, but she lived to be 15.5 yo and was a GREAT dog!

We left her w/ the run of the house from 2 yo till her death for 7-9 hours.. Never an accident until she had a stoke at age 15.5yo.

Hershey (1991)

A pure bred Chocolate Lab. Was sort of aggressive to the wife as a pup, not mean just wanted to be dominate. We crate trained him, but after 6 months gave him the run of the house. He went docile...loved everything and everybody. He was HUGH! 120+#'s ate like a field hand, but never chewed anything from day one. The kids in the neighborhood rode him like a pony. He loved it. Left him for 7-9 hours no problem.

Nilly (1999)

Pure bred Yellow Lab. She was a piece of work. Hershey was still here, but Nilly tried to dominate him. Really felt sorry for Hersh, so we penned up Nilly first in a crate and then in a room and kept Hershey roaming free. Nilly pooped and peed in her crate. When we put Hersh down we kept Nilly in a room that didn't matter if she dirtied it. She never did! Keeping her in a room that didn't matter helped a lot, because at ~6yo she got Cushings and couldn't control herself. She did pretty well actually. But it was a mix of times as I was retired. 2-7 hours alone, no problems.

Miley (2010),

What a goofy dog. A major nutball, but we love her dearly! She's a Catahoula mix, rescue dog. We got her from a rescue group and she was living w/ a family. If you're getting a rescue dog, don't believe everthing they tell you. They said she was crate trained. NOT! I tried to put her in a crate and it was a major job. She hated it. Barked the whole time.

They told us she loved the car. NOT she throws up after 10 minutes.

They said she was friendly. SPOT ON! She's a lover.

She has the run of the house. If we're gonna be gone for 6-8 hours, we enlist a neighborhood girl to let her out and/or take her for a walk about half way thru.. If she's not available we hire the local dog walker for $12 a walk again half way thru.

Understand we are retired, so long lonely sessions are pretty much holidays.

She hasn't given us any problems at all (1.5 years) Never chewed, but once we get home she'll bark at us for 10 minutes plus. Like she's angry that we left her! :wacko:

Hope this helps.

Last word...

Bull Mastiffs can be difficult dogs. Do training, crate him/her. And watch him closely! They can be twitchy!

Please read this closely. 4 Dogs all different, all w/ their own problems/characteristics/personalities, but we loved them all in a special way, knowing their differences.

RIP Cissy, Hershey, and Nilly. Yall gave us pleasure!

Miley....love you too!

Good luck!

rr26

Edited by rocknrobn26

5 year old portuguese water dog - very high energy.

He is left alone 5 days per week from 6.15 to 3.45, rarely makes a mess. I walk him 2 miles in the AM and 4 in the PM plus play frisbee. He is baby gated in the kitchen while we are gone - so its like a big crate for him

hey, you arent asking why everyone is gone and has dogs casue youre planning a little B and E are you??

If you own a dog:

What kind of dog?

Is someone home with them the majority of the day?

If not, how long do you leave them alone?

If they are alone, do you leave them indoors or outdoors?

- Weimaraner

- about 3-4 days a week

- he (and all our past dogs) hang out pretty much 9-6 with no problem

- indoors

Ted,

I hope you read my post. I put a lot of work/info in it AND can give my phone # if you have more questions for more info. As long as it was, it was brief. :wacko: But after 4 dogs over 36 years, w/ different scenarios, different doggy personalities, I think I can help.

Do hesitate to contact me here or PM.

RR26

I'm not as concerned as the dog going in the house as I am with the over all life quality of the dog. Don't get me wrong, I'd be upset if the dog goes in the house but my main concern is her happiness.

So it seems ok to leave the dog unattended for so long? I am sure she will just sleep. My other dogs slept regardless of being left alone or not but they he hated to be alone.

Do you have a neighbor with a 4th-10th grade kid that you could give $10 a week to come over an play with the dog for a few minutes every afternoon when they get home?

Ted,

I hope you read my post. I put a lot of work/info in it AND can give my phone # if you have more questions for more info. As long as it was, it was brief. :wacko: But after 4 dogs over 36 years, w/ different scenarios, different doggy personalities, I think I can help.

Do hesitate to contact me here or PM.

RR26

I do appreciate it!

My wife and I decided against it, it would be really difficult right now but I will not let them put the dog to sleep. So at a minimum we will watch her or someone we know will, until a home is found. (This by default might make the pup mine forever though :tup: )

I am already super attached to the pup!

Edited by MrTed46

Do you have a neighbor with a 4th-10th grade kid that you could give $10 a week to come over an play with the dog for a few minutes every afternoon when they get home?

Unfortunately, we can't rely on that because we are also in the process of relocating and our house is for sale on the market. Bad timing :wacko:

Too many unknown variables makes this a tough decision

I would agree--bad timing, and hopefully you can find him a home. A purebred Mastiff puppy, a Craiglist add should have people lining up at your door and you can choose the best home.

When you do get a dog, teaching a dog to be alone is a process. Some dogs do fine alone but dogs are pack animals and many feel very insecure and vulnerable when alone. This is what causes separation anxiety. What exacerbates separation anxiety is getting punished for destructive behavior when the owner gets home. It increases the stress they already are feeling, hence they chew, urinate or defecate more when alone. Often the punishment gets more severe, and then the dog cowers out of fear when the owner gets home--the cowering is not guilt, it is fear. The dog can't connect the dots that you are getting punished for something he did 8 hours ago, even if you show it to him.

The process starts by teaching a dog to look forward to being alone while you are home, but in another room. Close the room off with a gate, so he feels connected, so don't close the door. Give him a chew and let him chew for a few minutes and let him out before he finishes. His attitude will be darn, human arrived, and that means my bone goes away. Slowly increase the time, to the point where he is chewing more of the bone before it goes away, and then eventually allow him to finish and relax before letting him out. Then you do the same and leave the house for 5 minutes or so, then 15, and so on. Leave a bone or several when you leave. The dog will look forward to you being gone, especially if he doesn't get that special bone any other time. If you aren't starting wih a dog who already has SA, once you get past 30 minutes you are usually home free.

Studies using video feed have shown that dogs usually do their destructive behavior within the first 30 minutes of owners leaving. If dogs are punished for the behavior, often the dogs will start to destroy things within 30 minutes of the owner arriving home. Dogs chew due to stress (or boredom), and they can be stressed that their owner will be arriving home, and will come home angry at them.

BTW, I have drawn this info. from seminars I have taken by Animal Behaviorists on the subject of separation anxiety.

Two dogs.

One a 12 yr old malamute/Rotti mix. 140 lbs. Rescued him as a 70 lb six month old. Best dog I have ever had. Went everywhere with me. Hasn't in awhile as he is getting old and his hips are going. Could leave that dog for up to ten hours in the house without a mess, though usually he wanted to be outside as he is a tricoat. Never barked at all really, but his growl and maw were always deterant enough. Great with kids and adults alike, but did not like pitbulls. We are going to be putting him down in the next few months and it is killing me. Thank you Burton, you have been the one constant in my life the past 12 years. Truely this mans best friend. Also like a long lost brother from a different mother with DGF.

My gals dog is a rat terrier, probably 12 lbs. Little bisnotch is so ugly she is cute. Fearless and crazy as a sh*thouse rat. Can run very fast and jump over 6' high. She has her accidents for sure, knows she is in the wrong when she does as she is outside instead of at the door greeting us. Gets along great with Burt, but barks at the friggin wind blowing and shivers when it is 90 degrees out.. Purchased her through the paper for my womens birthday 3 years ago. She was eight weeks old had been wormed and first set of shots. Bought her on contingency that she would check out okay with my vet. She did. Great little dog for sure. Though I do believe we will be getting a pal for her sooner rather than later after Burt leaves us.

Both have access to indoor or outdoors during the day when we are gone at a average of 5 to 6 hours a day.

Only walk the little one now once a day. Up until a year ago Burt would be with me and get a bunch of exercise that way. Chasing geese, ducks etc on our course.. Now he just cools on the porch and watches the world go by in his own Burt way

I would agree--bad timing, and hopefully you can find him a home. A purebred Mastiff puppy, a Craiglist add should have people lining up at your door and you can choose the best home.

When you do get a dog, teaching a dog to be alone is a process. Some dogs do fine alone but dogs are pack animals and many feel very insecure and vulnerable when alone. This is what causes separation anxiety. What exacerbates separation anxiety is getting punished for destructive behavior when the owner gets home. It increases the stress they already are feeling, hence they chew, urinate or defecate more when alone. Often the punishment gets more severe, and then the dog cowers out of fear when the owner gets home--the cowering is not guilt, it is fear. The dog can't connect the dots that you are getting punished for something he did 8 hours ago, even if you show it to him.

The process starts by teaching a dog to look forward to being alone while you are home, but in another room. Close the room off with a gate, so he feels connected, so don't close the door. Give him a chew and let him chew for a few minutes and let him out before he finishes. His attitude will be darn, human arrived, and that means my bone goes away. Slowly increase the time, to the point where he is chewing more of the bone before it goes away, and then eventually allow him to finish and relax before letting him out. Then you do the same and leave the house for 5 minutes or so, then 15, and so on. Leave a bone or several when you leave. The dog will look forward to you being gone, especially if he doesn't get that special bone any other time. If you aren't starting wih a dog who already has SA, once you get past 30 minutes you are usually home free.

Studies using video feed have shown that dogs usually do their destructive behavior within the first 30 minutes of owners leaving. If dogs are punished for the behavior, often the dogs will start to destroy things within 30 minutes of the owner arriving home. Dogs chew due to stress (or boredom), and they can be stressed that their owner will be arriving home, and will come home angry at them.

BTW, I have drawn this info. from seminars I have taken by Animal Behaviorists on the subject of separation anxiety.

Pure Gold! Wish I had known you 35 years ago. It would have shortened our grief, w/ Cissy.

Good stuff, Shug!

I have a boston terrier, almost 6 years old now. wife is at home most of the time now. when he was a puppy, it was just me and him so he had to be at home alone all day. made a little pen for him (about 8' x 8') when he was tiny, then a crate when he was good and potty trained. it really wasn't a problem, as long as you can give lots of attention, play and activity when you get home. 8-10 hours is not a hugh problem for most dogs.

now, even though he's lucky and almost always has someone home, I can leave my dog for 12 hours and he won't even think about going in the house or doing anything destructive. he just finds a warm place to sleep.