[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jags D

SecondString

The Huddle ranks Jacksonville 29th in the ROS team defense rankings. Consider:

Team Defensive Position Rankings

QB - 8

RB - 9

WR - 3

TE - 30

K - 5

Not too shabby. Single digits everywhere except for the proportionately lower producing TE position.

Remaining Schedule

Cleveland

Houston

San Diego

Tampa

Atlanta

Tennessee

No monsters there.

Why the low ranking? Am I missing something?

I think you're mixing two things here.

The ROS rankings are for how the defense will score (fumbles, turnovers, sacks, points, allowed, etc).

The positional rankings (if you're talking about the ones in the pred/proj articles) are relative to how the well the team prevents fantasy points.

Just becaues they don't give up a lot of fantasy points doesn't mean they are a high scoring defense.

Hope that helps.

I think you're mixing two things here.

The ROS rankings are for how the defense will score (fumbles, turnovers, sacks, points, allowed, etc).

The positional rankings (if you're talking about the ones in the pred/proj articles) are relative to how the well the team prevents fantasy points.

Just becaues they don't give up a lot of fantasy points doesn't mean they are a high scoring defense.

Hope that helps.

Yep, you're right about that, but still would expect better than 4th worst.

It's so subjective depending on how your league scores team defense. Last week I picked them up in my local that uses a free ESPN setup and they scored 19 points vs Indy based mostly on 3 points scored against.

Yeah, I had them last week in an ESPN league too, got 18 points. That's why I was doing the research, trying to figure out whether to hang on to them or not, D/ST's are slim pickings in my 14-team league right now. I just kind of figured them to be middle of the pack at worst, which is why I was surprised at the Huddle rank.

Yeah, I had them last week in an ESPN league too, got 18 points. That's why I was doing the research, trying to figure out whether to hang on to them or not, D/ST's are slim pickings in my 14-team league right now. I just kind of figured them to be middle of the pack at worst, which is why I was surprised at the Huddle rank.

League scoring has a lot to do with how you value, obviously. ROS isn't taking into account all different scoring methods. What are you going to do, try and trade for a Defense? Stick it out, I bet the rest of your team got you where you are by now, not Jax D. They are like Tebow, a game manager, not a fantasy game loser.

League scoring has a lot to do with how you value, obviously. ROS isn't taking into account all different scoring methods. What are you going to do, try and trade for a Defense? Stick it out, I bet the rest of your team got you where you are by now, not Jax D. They are like Tebow, a game manager, not a fantasy game loser.

No, can't trade, deadline is past. I've been picking up D/ST's this year based on matchups, but trying to see if there's one I can lock in on for the ROS now that the playoffs are near, that's all. No clear choices, your assessment of Jax is dead-on, I believe. I don't want this thread to become an advice issue, I just thought maybe somebody had some insight on why Jax was ranked so low despite pretty good performance.

Appreciate it.

Especially with a position like defense where scoring varies by league. Looking at my league and some stats, Jags are only 7th among the free agent Ds, and 21 overall. Some stats

INT=9

SAFETY=0

FUMBLE RECOVERED=4

SACKS=21

TD=0

POINTS=166

While points allowed are very low compared to other teams, the other categories are pretty low, except for sacks.

So the only way they are scoring well as a defense is if you reward lots of points based on points allowed. And based on the schedule, they play teams that won't score a lot, so they should be good.

One more thing I've noticed since we added team defenses a few years ago, DEF TD (no spec teams TD for us) really skew things and are not something you can rely on. Right now the top 4 Ds (BAL, DET, CHI, GB) in our league all have 3-4 TDs, but if I look at their weekly scoring it varies more than say a team with 1-2 in the season who gets lots turnovers and sacks.

Hope that helps.

Especially with a position like defense where scoring varies by league. Looking at my league and some stats, Jags are only 7th among the free agent Ds, and 21 overall. Some stats

INT=9

SAFETY=0

FUMBLE RECOVERED=4

SACKS=21

TD=0

POINTS=166

While points allowed are very low compared to other teams, the other categories are pretty low, except for sacks.

So the only way they are scoring well as a defense is if you reward lots of points based on points allowed. And based on the schedule, they play teams that won't score a lot, so they should be good.

One more thing I've noticed since we added team defenses a few years ago, DEF TD (no spec teams TD for us) really skew things and are not something you can rely on. Right now the top 4 Ds (BAL, DET, CHI, GB) in our league all have 3-4 TDs, but if I look at their weekly scoring it varies more than say a team with 1-2 in the season who gets lots turnovers and sacks.

Hope that helps.

Yep...good stuff. Thx

No, can't trade, deadline is past. I've been picking up D/ST's this year based on matchups, but trying to see if there's one I can lock in on for the ROS now that the playoffs are near, that's all. No clear choices, your assessment of Jax is dead-on, I believe. I don't want this thread to become an advice issue, I just thought maybe somebody had some insight on why Jax was ranked so low despite pretty good performance.

Appreciate it.

I can see both sides of the issue

draft a highly ranked D/ST high

wait

wait even more and play the wire

D's are tough to gauge year to year and if you wait, you're asking the question you're asking now.

I'm of the opinion that I take my D in the 9th or so and more often than not, I'm not asking these q's in Week 11.

In a normal start

1 QB

2 RB

2 WR

1 TE/WR

1 Flex

1 K

1 D

5 Bench

12 teams

you wait until round 12-14 for your K and D , you may hit paydirt. But a lot of the time, you're here asking who should I pick up for the playoff run.

Not a bad way to go but do you really want to be stressing over a freakin Defense now?

I can see both sides of the issue

draft a highly ranked D/ST high

wait

wait even more and play the wire

D's are tough to gauge year to year and if you wait, you're asking the question you're asking now.

I'm of the opinion that I take my D in the 9th or so and more often than not, I'm not asking these q's in Week 11.

In a normal start

1 QB

2 RB

2 WR

1 TE/WR

1 Flex

1 K

1 D

5 Bench

12 teams

you wait until round 12-14 for your K and D , you may hit paydirt. But a lot of the time, you're here asking who should I pick up for the playoff run.

Not a bad way to go but do you really want to be stressing over a freakin Defense now?

No, but the way this league works (auction draft), it's taken all year to get the rest of the roster in place. This is a 14-team league with 8 starters and only two bench spots. Waiver wire moves are critical week to week. You hope you drafted well, dodge the injuries, struggle through the byes, spend the waiver selections trying to win the weeks while solidifying the six key roster spots (QB/RB/FLEX/WR/WR/TE). It's a battle to get those solid. TE is the lowest priority of those, but once you get those, you then have the luxury to think about K and/or D/ST. I have just now gotten there. Sure, there are owners who spent draft $$ or waiver selections to make sure they got good D's, but sometimes at the expense of the other positions. I'm good, 7-3 atop my division, favored by 38 points this week and solidly in the playoff picture. I could actually play matchups to finish the year on my D, but if I can lock in on one D/ST, all the better. I'm pretty set everywhere else, well positioned.

I know there's holes in my strategy but I still like taking a d high rather than week by week

I agree with that, I usually go for a good D and decent kicker (high scoring team or one that struggles getting TDs), then fill the bye week when the time comes. And since we have a fee for roster moves (player added) people rarely play the hot defense each week (like start the D against some team that gives up sacks, turnovers, etc).

PS Jags should be a good start against the Browns this weekend, figure another 6-12 pts, sacks, turnovers etc. :wacko:

No, but the way this league works (auction draft), it's taken all year to get the rest of the roster in place. This is a 14-team league with 8 starters and only two bench spots. Waiver wire moves are critical week to week. You hope you drafted well, dodge the injuries, struggle through the byes, spend the waiver selections trying to win the weeks while solidifying the six key roster spots (QB/RB/FLEX/WR/WR/TE). It's a battle to get those solid. TE is the lowest priority of those, but once you get those, you then have the luxury to think about K and/or D/ST. I have just now gotten there. Sure, there are owners who spent draft $$ or waiver selections to make sure they got good D's, but sometimes at the expense of the other positions. I'm good, 7-3 atop my division, favored by 38 points this week and solidly in the playoff picture. I could actually play matchups to finish the year on my D, but if I can lock in on one D/ST, all the better. I'm pretty set everywhere else, well positioned.

I probably mentioned this before, that 8 starters 2 bench spots league structure must make things very tough. Kudos to you for managing to do so well. I'd be doing lots of this :tup: and :lol: and :wacko:

I probably mentioned this before, that 8 starters 2 bench spots league structure must make things very tough. Kudos to you for managing to do so well. I'd be doing lots of this :tup: and :lol: and :wacko:

Yep, there is a lot of that. But I am in five leagues, and this is the one I enjoy the most, and the one I spend the most time on. Everybody says that two bench spots is drastic, and it is, but it makes it a greater challenge. Tough decisions every week, and every decision is magnified. Of all the leagues I'm in, this is the one I will most likely stay with the lonngest, and the retention is great. We are even starting another one next year because everybody is recruiting new owners because they enjoy it too. The league was actually started by owners who were tired of leagues with 7 bench spots, thin ww's, and little strategy week to week. If you want to draft your team and then relax, this is not the league for you.