[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cruise Ship Tragedy

i_am_the_swammi

Cruising is ridiculously safe. You're far more likely to die from driving your car to work than you are on a cruise ship. It's like people being afraid to fly. Somehow people think that if they aren't behind the wheel than there is some higher risk that they are going to die. It's plain illogical.

My wife is terrified of flying. Also she's been bugging me to take a cruise for years and no longer wants any part of it because of this incident. :wacko:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife is terrified of flying. Also she's been bugging me to take a cruise for years and no longer wants any part of it because of this incident. :tup:

Years ago when I worked at the water park here, they had an e-coli "outbreak" :wacko: from a kid messing in a pool. It was all over the news and everything, and so the place was empty after that.... I always thought that was funny, knowing full well that the park had probably never been cleaner than it was right then, with them not wanting anymore bad publicity on top of that...

Just the same, you're probably better off buying your tires from a company after a recall, or in this case taking a cruise with them.... Not kidding, I think you might be safer to take a plane from an airliner that just had a crash, than an airline that has a perfect track-record but might have gotten complacent (just don't tell your wife that last part or you'll probably never get her on a plane again)....

My wife is terrified of flying. Also she's been bugging me to take a cruise for years and no longer wants any part of it because of this incident. :tup:

50 people died on the first cruise ship accident I can remember. 50 out of 4100. Still, at least with a plane crash it'd be over within 2-5 minutes. 5 hours with several thousand people? Whoa. :wacko: Pass.

Years ago when I worked at the water park here, they had an e-coli "outbreak" :wacko: from a kid messing in a pool. It was all over the news and everything, and so the place was empty after that.... I always thought that was funny, knowing full well that the park had probably never been cleaner than it was right then, with them not wanting anymore bad publicity on top of that...

Just the same, you're probably better off buying your tires from a company after a recall, or in this case taking a cruise with them.... Not kidding, I think you might be safer to take a plane from an airliner that just had a crash, than an airline that has a perfect track-record but might have gotten complacent (just don't tell your wife that last part or you'll probably never get her on a plane again)....

I remember that, Whitewater park...is that place still open?

I remember that, Whitewater park...is that place still open?

We always got a good laugh that the incident happened on "Little Squirts Island" :wacko:

Apparently it's still open, but I checked the park map, and in the 15+ years since Six Flags bought them out, they haven't added 1 single ride.... Though the way people keep getting amputated at Six Flags parks, maybe that's a good thing....

Edited by delusions of granduer

No - I disagree that its not about being behind the wheel. I think its that three seconds after a plane lifts off the ground, my chance of surviving a crash are pretty nil. Ive been in auto accidents and walked away.

I guess I don't know exactly where it comes from for every person. But however they try to rationalize it, it is an irrational thought. :wacko:

“First-world airlines are almost incomprehensibly safe,” he said, citing other research that reported a passenger would take a domestic flight every day for 36,000 years, on average, before dying in a crash

Physorg,com link

Shame on you people for making unfounded accusations against an innocent captain.

I tripped and fell into the lifeboat

Apparently he was helping a passenger, tripped, and fell into a lifeboat. And you guys are out there trying to cruficy the poor guy without knowing all the facts.

http://news.yahoo.com/cruise-captain-says-...--abc-news.html

You got me on ignore again mullet-boy? :wacko: