[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

new computer advice

Bier Meister

we are looking to get a new laptop for the family. just basic needs:

- fast browsing

- good for media (want to play blue ray dvd's on it, store pics, etc)

- basic word processing

- screen can be around 13-15 in

want to keep it affordable.

suggestions?

intel 2nd generation core i3 processor

or

amd a6 processor

would do what you want effortlessly

check slickdeals.net and search "laptop" and see wha deals are out there.

the intel 3nd generation i series (i3 i5 i7) are better processing chips than the amd a series chips. Without any onboard graphics cards (rare for a laptop), the amd chips perform better for playing games, but you do not list that on your list therefore I would get the intel core i3.

If you want to do what you listed faster, I would get an SSD hard drive. You will shat your pants on performance.

intel 2nd generation core i3 processor

or

amd a6 processor

would do what you want effortlessly

check slickdeals.net and search "laptop" and see wha deals are out there.

the intel 3nd generation i series (i3 i5 i7) are better processing chips than the amd a series chips. Without any onboard graphics cards (rare for a laptop), the amd chips perform better for playing games, but you do not list that on your list therefore I would get the intel core i3.

If you want to do what you listed faster, I would get an SSD hard drive. You will shat your pants on performance.

will want some gaming for daughter, but she is 5 so looking more at learning games right now

I'd check woot fairly frequently. they come out with a good deal on a laptop once a week or so. otherwise, I've had great luck just going to dell.com, spec-ing out what you want, and ordering. they are very competitive on price, you get exactly what you want/need, and I've had good luck with their machines.

will want some gaming for daughter, but she is 5 so looking more at learning games right now

Get the AMD A6. It is a balance of speed and some light gaming.

The intel's aren't that good gaming wise but will process stuff faster.

http://slickdeals.net/f/3837442-Lenovo-Ide...0-Free-Shipping

On sale right now

Lenovo is one of my favs too

Why do you need Blu-ray? On a screen that small, it won't make much of a difference. If you're already buying Blu-ray to watch on a bigger screen, most of them come with regular DVDs or digital copies so you can watch on a laptop or portable player.

Why do you need Blu-ray? On a screen that small, it won't make much of a difference. If you're already buying Blu-ray to watch on a bigger screen, most of them come with regular DVDs or digital copies so you can watch on a laptop or portable player.

Travel..... also want decent quailty for netflix..... so what- hd?

Travel..... also want decent quailty for netflix..... so what- hd?

Maybe others will correct me, but I don't think you need a Blu-ray player on a screen that small. If you already buy Blu-ray discs because you have a Blu-ray player for your living room, then the discs should come with a regular DVD or digital copy that you can save to your PC and watch it while traveling.

Maybe others will correct me, but I don't think you need a Blu-ray player on a screen that small. If you already buy Blu-ray discs because you have a Blu-ray player for your living room, then the discs should come with a regular DVD or digital copy that you can save to your PC and watch it while traveling.

Most hotel TVs are HD sets now and have connections to hook up your laptop to.

what percentage of BD's come with a DVD copy? I've seen them, but in my limited experience they're not that common, certainly not common enough that you can assume there will always be one. and if it's a digital copy you can download, who the hell wants to wait for that or try and do it on a hotel connection?

If you have movies on BD you want to watch, it seems to me like it's worth the fairly modest price break to go ahead and add that functionality for convenience, not for the increased picture quality on a 14" screen. :wacko:

what percentage of BD's come with a DVD copy? I've seen them, but in my limited experience they're not that common, certainly not common enough that you can assume there will always be one. and if it's a digital copy you can download, who the hell wants to wait for that or try and do it on a hotel connection?

If you have movies on BD you want to watch, it seems to me like it's worth the fairly modest price break to go ahead and add that functionality for convenience, not for the increased picture quality on a 14" screen. :wacko:

We have about 10 Blu-rays, all kid's movies. All but one ("Zookeeper," which probably should be limited to as few viewings as possible anyway) come with a DVD copy. The ones we have say across the top, "Blu-ray + DVD copy." I don't pay enough attention to Blu-ray to know if non-kids movies come with DVD copies, but I don't see why that shouldn't be the case. As for the digital copies, in my experience, they aren't downloads. They're lower-quality versions made for phones or an iPad, and they're included on the disc. You unlock them with a code included in the packaging.

I don't know what kind of premium you pay for a Blu-ray player on a laptop. Just pointing out that if bier was looking to keep his costs down as much as possible, I don't think he necessarily needs a Blu-ray player. If it's not much more to get one, then yeah, I don't see why he wouldn't.

Not sure what you consider affordable, but BD drives have come so far down in price, it isn't a burden to get one IMO. No need to over think that feature IMO - just get it. Newegg.com has a wide selection under 1K some even with i7 chips...