[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kansas Speaker O'Neal

detlef

OK, so this is the same guy who forwarded an e-mail about Michelle Obama that included some rather racially insensitive phrasing. Posted here with the obligatory whining from BeeR that it's no fair that we can't make fun of black people.

Whatever, while quite lame, that was essentially harmless.

Now there's this.

Same dude is basically suggesting that we pray for Obama's death. He has also sent around an e-mail essentially saying that he's finally found a bible verse for our president:

'When he shall be judged, let him be condemned: and let his prayer become sin.

Let his days be few; and let another take his office.

Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow.

Let his children be continually vagabonds, and beg: let them seek their bread also out of their desolate places.

Let the extortioner catch all that he hath; and let the strangers spoil his labor.

Let there be none to extend mercy unto him: neither let there be any to favor his fatherless children.'

Stay classy a-hole.

Dude's gonna be a hero in many parts of Kansas (and this country), sadly.

I was perusing the comments posted under the account of the GA court hearing on Obama's citizenship, kindly posted by Lady.Hawke a couple days back. Many of those comments make your hair stand on end.

I guess constant exposure to the likes of Limbaugh, Savage, Fox et al is bound to affect the "thought processes" (such as they are) of people who are already profoundly stupid but some of those folks may as well have written a letter to the Secret Service saying "Hey, come and put me under close observation, I'm a total nutjob".

I was perusing the comments posted under the account of the GA court hearing on Obama's citizenship, kindly posted by Lady.Hawke a couple days back. Many of those comments make your hair stand on end.

I guess constant exposure to the likes of Limbaugh, Savage, Fox et al is bound to affect the "thought processes" (such as they are) of people who are already profoundly stupid but some of those folks may as well have written a letter to the Secret Service saying "Hey, come and put me under close observation, I'm a total nutjob".

You leave Savage Beatings out of this . . he is a good person!!

:wacko:

Dragging spouses and children into matters is bad form. I would hope we can all agree on that, and yet I suspect there are some who would not, using some twisted reference to the bible passage referenced. Not knowing my Bible I would hope the passage is one demonstrating the thought process of the ignorant and vengeful, and that in context the passage is condemed.

I guess constant exposure to the likes of Limbaugh, Savage, Fox the Grand master et al is bound to affect the "thought processes" (such as they are) of people who are already profoundly stupid but some of those folks may as well have written a letter to the Secret Service saying "Hey, come and put me under close observation, I'm a total nutjob".

Fixed.

Most of the people in this region don't even know the names you are referring to ... that would take at least a little edumactaion on their part.

Dragging spouses and children into matters is bad form. I would hope we can all agree on that, and yet I suspect there are some who would not, using some twisted reference to the bible passage referenced. Not knowing my Bible I would hope the passage is one demonstrating the thought process of the ignorant and vengeful, and that in context the passage is condemed.

I've actually been wondering about that myself. Can we get a ruling on this from someone in the know?

Let's let the good people of the State of Kansas decide how much indignation to feel.

Let's not. It's not like Kansas is its own country.

I'm actually amazed at the degree to which people are deciding not to care based on their particular opinion of Obama. As if that should matter at all.

Let's not. It's not like Kansas is its own country.

While I agree KS isn't its own country, why do you say that people in other states should get a voice as to whether or not any duly elected official in another state should be subject to being kicked out of office by the opinion of people in some other state?

I'm actually amazed at the degree to which people are deciding not to care based on their particular opinion of Obama. As if that should matter at all.

I'm a Kansan.

I'm generally fairly conservative.

I do not anticipate voting for Obama in the next cycle.

I do not condone the Speakers' view or his action in this matter.

I do not condone the Speakers' view or his action in this matter.

Yet you sort of poo poo the notion of a citizen of the US but not of Kansas being outraged by the depths that an elected official in this country has stooped with regard to the president.

Regardless, I'm entitled to opine as to what I feel the fine citizens of Kansas should do with this a-hole, just as you and your fellow citizens of that state are free to say that you apparently have no regard for the office of the president and therefor don't feel that your elected officials should either.

Edited by detlef

Yet you sort of poo poo the notion of a citizen of the US but not of Kansas being outraged by the depths that an elected official in this country has stooped with regard to the president.

Look, I think the publicly stated views of SotH of Kansas on this matter are pretty idiotic and are wholly questionable.

Do I think he's a real threat against Obama or his family? Nope. Not in a million years.

Would I feel differently had he quoted the Quran, Torah, or some other text in some sort of bizzaro "if I quote it, it's going to come true" threat? Nope. This isn't a Kevin Costner movie...

To draw a dark line underneath my thinking on this, using the Bible to try to publicly castigate or otherwise impune someone says more about the person doing the quoting than the person at whom the quote is directed.

Regardless, I'm entitled to opine as to what I feel the fine citizens of Kansas should do with this a-hole, just as you and your fellow citizens of that state are free to say that you apparently have no regard for the office of the president and therefor don't feel that your elected officials should either.

Ah. Well, given you don't know whether or not I've ever voted for this particular person, would vote again for this particular person, emailed, called or somehow otherwise voiced my displeasure over the matter with my elected officials, I'm not sure how the condescention fits me. :wacko:

I'm a big fan of the office of the POTUS and to imply anything else is misguided.

Look, I think the publicly stated views of SotH of Kansas on this matter are pretty idiotic and are wholly questionable.

Do I think he's a real threat against Obama or his family? Nope. Not in a million years.

Would I feel differently had he quoted the Quran, Torah, or some other text in some sort of bizzaro "if I quote it, it's going to come true" threat? Nope. This isn't a Kevin Costner movie...

To draw a dark line underneath my thinking on this, using the Bible to try to publicly castigate or otherwise impune someone says more about the person doing the quoting than the person at whom the quote is directed.

Ah. Well, given you don't know whether or not I've ever voted for this particular person, would vote again for this particular person, emailed, called or somehow otherwise voiced my displeasure over the matter with my elected officials, I'm not sure how the condescention fits me. :wacko:

I'm a big fan of the office of the POTUS and to imply anything else is misguided.

So, in other words, I was supposed to infer your distaste with the speakers comments from "Listen Skippy, why don't you let those in Kansas decide how pissed they want to be." Gotcha.

And, for the record, you haven't exactly shown more than "Meh, I think it's pretty stupid but, it's not like the POTUS is in any danger or anything."

Understand that my stance is not that this guy has actually make a threat on Obama's life, but rather he's crossed a line that I haven't seen others cross in my lifetime. That, if I had to endure 8 years of Bush and Cheney questioning the patriotism of anyone who wasn't on board with what what they were doing. So, forgive me if I find evoking this "prayer" against the POTUS to be a bit more egregious than simply not supporting his policy or rationale for sending our troops into harms way.

Whatever. Tell you what, I'll take back any implications that you, specifically, aren't blase about the whole deal.

While I agree KS isn't its own country, why do you say that people in other states should get a voice as to whether or not any duly elected official in another state should be subject to being kicked out of office by the opinion of people in some other state?

Because we're Americans and there's a degree of common decency by which we should expect our elected officials should conduct themselves. And if the body that he leads feels he's violated that based on the opinions of everyone in this country who voiced an opinion, then my goodness, let them act.

I will say this, not seeing the whole email, I imagine that he just quoted verse 8, without acknowledging verses 9-15. That's taking the Bible out of context, something people do all the time to justify anything and everything. It's also not exactly calling for the death of the POTUS.

So, in other words, I was supposed to infer your distaste with the speakers comments from "Listen Skippy, why don't you let those in Kansas decide how pissed they want to be." Gotcha.

And, for the record, you haven't exactly shown more than "Meh, I think it's pretty stupid but, it's not like the POTUS is in any danger or anything."

Understand that my stance is not that this guy has actually make a threat on Obama's life, but rather he's crossed a line that I haven't seen others cross in my lifetime. That, if I had to endure 8 years of Bush and Cheney questioning the patriotism of anyone who wasn't on board with what what they were doing. So, forgive me if I find evoking this "prayer" against the POTUS to be a bit more egregious than simply not supporting his policy or rationale for sending our troops into harms way.

Whatever. Tell you what, I'll take back any implications that you, specifically, aren't blase about the whole deal.

O'Neal's comments aren't magically contained to one state in the country. It only takes one mentally deranged Jared Lee Loughner-type anywhere to read something like that and say "Damn, the bible says that?"

Being in a position of power himself, I wonder if O'Neal would shrug if some Democrat in the Kansas state legislature had emailed out the same thing about HIM?

Because we're Americans and there's a degree of common decency by which we should expect our elected officials should conduct themselves. And if the body that he leads feels he's violated that based on the opinions of everyone in this country who voiced an opinion, then my goodness, let them act.

I will say this, not seeing the whole email, I imagine that he just quoted verse 8, without acknowledging verses 9-15. That's taking the Bible out of context, something people do all the time to justify anything and everything. It's also not exactly calling for the death of the POTUS.

Particularly out of context, I might add. Because you'd have to interpret "let his days be few" mean, specifically, that his days in office be few. Something that you'd not only have to ignore the adjacent passages, but also specifically imply means something other than what it does at face value.