[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best handgun for the tacos

nuke'em ttg

both

These are what I carry...

http://www.waltherpistols.com/category/39-Walther_P22_Handguns.aspx

Not alot of stopping power, but it would still get the point across. This one is great because shells are $20.00 for 550, you can fool around and shoot this thing all day with little out of pocket. And it wont go through 5 or 6 walls in your house if you have to use it in an emergency.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2SW103038FC-1.html

Like this one alot too. But the ammo gets kinda expensive just to be shooting. Both are easy to carry and shoot.

Is it time for the "Less Filling.....Tastes Great!" argument between 9mm and .45 ACP? :woot:

see i was thinkin 45 right off the bat, are they cheeper?

But if you are wanting to conceal and carry you dont want everybody to know you have a hand cannon on you.

But if you are wanting to conceal and carry you dont want everybody to know you have a hand cannon on you.

You don't have to. I have a Glock G36 that's much smaller than the G17 DMD is talking about. The Sig P250 compact is also fairly small and in the price range. Sigs are nice (although I have not fired that particular model).

EDIT: My Dad has This Ruger LC9, which for a 9mm that you want to carry would be hard to beat for size.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

It all depends on what you want but if you only wanted to own one gun, I would opt for the 9 mm over the .45.

Using Glock as an example (Taurus and Ruger would be a little less expensive and still good):

Model 17 - weighs 22 oz (33 oz loaded), holds 17 bullets with a 4.49" barrel, 50 bullets = $15.19 - Gun cost about $499

Model 21 - wieghs 26 oz (38 oz loaded), holds 13 bullets with a 4.61 barrel, 50 bullets = $23.79 - Gun cost about $550

You can get cheaper guns with the Taurus or Ruger equivalents. And bullets can be a little cheaper with reloads or such.

But if you only had one gun, I would get a longer barrel over a short one for accuracy. The .45 is a great gun to be sure and has more knockdown power than most other calibers to be sure at short range. But they are heavier and more expensive. At 50 yards, the 9 mm will drop maybe 1/2" but the .45 will drop 2.5".

And of course there is nothing wrong with a revolver either since they are far simpler to use. They just carry fewer shells obviously and yet never have any problems with shells ejecting incorrectly or jamming (rare as they are though).

My favorite three guns and the ones I would purchase if I was starting over:

Glock 9mm

Smith & Wesson or Colt .357 Mag revolver with 6" barrel

Something like the Keltec PMR .22 mag

Yep, obviously DMD knows his guns...

I have an old Colt .357 my Grandad left me, and I'd never dream of letting it go (not only for the sentimental reasons)... You know a Colt is built to last, and suprisingly alot of them went for around $500 or less when I looked up prices a while back. If you're looking for a revolver, it's hard to beat, and you can use much cheaper .38 bullets for target practice.

But yeah, you're not going to find anyone who'll dispute that a Glock is going to be one of your best bangs for your buck, regardless of what you want it for... My bro does have a Taurus though (pretty much a poor man's glock). I think you can get some really nice ones for as little as $300, and his shoots very nice. I would recommend it if you don't want to spend that much on a glock....

I love Berettas too, but not as sure about price/value of them.

Speaking of guns, I've never owned one, but have always been interested. My wife has put the kabosh on having one in the house with kids.

I remember hearing talk a long time ago about inventors trying to come out with guns that would have fingerprint technology so that only that person could fire it or ones that you have to wearing a bracelet transmitter for it to fire, etc. Are their guns like this in the market nowadays?

Speaking of guns, I've never owned one, but have always been interested. My wife has put the kabosh on having one in the house with kids.

I remember hearing talk a long time ago about inventors trying to come out with guns that would have fingerprint technology so that only that person could fire it or ones that you have to wearing a bracelet transmitter for it to fire, etc. Are their guns like this in the market nowadays?

I sure wouldnt' want to rely on non-mechanical technology for my gun to fire in the heat of the moment. No way in hell.

I sure wouldnt' want to rely on non-mechanical technology for my gun to fire in the heat of the moment. No way in hell.

I also wouldn't want an inquisitive child blowing away a friend or themselves. No way in hell... anyway, I was thinking this may be a middle ground for my wife and I. So are there "smart" guns in the market place nowadays.

I also wouldn't want an inquisitive child blowing away a friend or themselves. No way in hell... anyway, I was thinking this may be a middle ground for my wife and I. So are there "smart" guns in the market place nowadays.

They make lock boxes for that very reason. I'll explain my statement a little. If you are buying a handgun for home protection, and god forbid you get a home invasion or burglary, how would you feel if you were unable to stop the dude because of a computer chip malfunction. And you would think that would have to be powered at all times as well. Nope...not for me. But I do think there are some smart phones out there....

If there are any - and I have never seen them - they would be far too expensive. You can get a sealed metal box to hold a pistol that works off a finger print for not too much (a biometric safe) for a few hundred and maybe even less. But if it were me and I was worried about self defense, I would rather have a baseball bat and my phone programmed for 911 than to worry about electronics in the heat of a moment.

So no, no smart guns of any practicality.

I own a Glock 19 and I like it. Fun to shoot and I can get shells pretty inexpensively. 115 grain FMJ for targets. Hollow points for personal defense (though I would choose my 12 gauge over my 9mm in the event I ever have an intrusion). But I digress...

One thing I am always careful to point out to anyone who handles the gun or asks about it (which makes it worth mentioning here) is the Glock's lack of an external safety. Some folks have no problem with it. Some would rather have one. At the very least, someone should be aware of it before handling a handgun without an external safety (Glocks are not the only ones) and its something to keep in mind before making a purchase.

They say the only real safety is the one between your ears. While that is true, some folks feel better about owning a handgun that wont necessarily go bang if something unintended happens to put force on the trigger. Probably the best a person can do is go to the range and try handling/shooting a few different models until they find something they're comfortable with. My $0.02