[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which Keeper Format is the best?

robert terni

We've been doing redrafts for yrs ..we decided to do a keeper..we had a league meeting and came up with 2 different options..Which option do you all think is the best..or what can we take away or add. here they are

NOTE: All teams can keep 2 players for up to 3 yrs

Option 1) Teams lose the rounds of the keeper players..and free agent pickup keepers lose a 8th rounder...So for an example..I keep ray rice(who i drafted in 1st round) and cam newton (who i picked up in free agency) I would lose a 1st and 8th rounder for however long i keep them (up to 3 yrs)...If i decide to keep other players then I just lose the round that i drafted them in

Option 2) Teams lose the rounds of the keeper players ONLY for the 1st draft and after the 1st draft all keepers would be considered a 1st rounder or 2nd..So ill use the same players and scenario as option 1..so if i keep rice and newton then this yr i would lose a 1st and 8th rounder..and have to rank them 1 or 2..So i rank rice as 1 and newton as 2...then next yr rice would be considered as a 1st rounder and newton as a 2nd rounder...this goes for all teams keepers...unless a team decides to keep a player that they drafted and was not a keeper,then u would lose the round that u drafted that player for the next draft..so for an example say i keep newton and fred jackson (who i drafted in 4th round this yr) i would lose a 2nd rounder and a 4th following yr..then if i decide to keep newton and jackson for another yr it goes back to losing a 1st and 2nd rounder..I hope this made sense..(a team just brought this up and still trying to make sense out of it) lol....

We all decided on option 1 but a team has expressed concerns of fairness..He doesnt think its fair that a team can keep cam newton for 3 yrs and only lose a 8th rounder....So Option 2 is what he came up with...But dunno if i like it..Whats ur thoughts..

Edited by robert terni

I suggest a slight hybrid of the two.

Owners give up the round +x to keep a player. So if we set x to 2, you would give up a 6th to keep Newton and then a 4th, etc. Players drafted in the first 2 rounds can't be kept.

Now, there are a lot of possible variations to this, such as allowing owners to give up the round a player was drafted the first year they are kept and then increasing by the agreed number of rounds.

This kind of format rewards owners for finding values late, but doesn't allow them to keep paying an exorbitantly low price forever. It also forces top players back into the draft pool a little more frequently. It also causes some thinking at keeper time as you may hav to decide between being able to hold say a Fitzgerald for 1 year only at the cost of a first, or be able to protect a AJ Green type for say a 7th, and know you could have him for another 3 years - at increasing cost of course

So, who is the one that suggested the keeper rule, and what is his relationship to the commish and the Newton owner?

You posted this same topic last year, why is this being discussed now? Were the keeper rules not established at last year's draft?

Edited by flemingd

So, who is the one that suggested the keeper rule, and what is his relationship to the commish and the Newton owner?

im the commish..Im best friends with the guy..but him and I never see eye to eye when it comes down to fantasy lol...i just think his suggestions too confusing..at least option 1 is reasonable...

im the commish..Im best friends with the guy..but him and I never see eye to eye when it comes down to fantasy lol...i just think his suggestions too confusing..at least option 1 is reasonable...

I edited my question while you were posting, check it out now. If the rule was posted last year for keepers this year, then roll with it unchanged and screw the complainer. He knew the keeper rules, he had his shot to draft Newton, he passed.

If the rule weren't established last year, then you can't just slam them in this year. This is rule #1 of keepers. You have to go into the draft knowing the rules, and you can't change rules that would have affected how people drafted.

our keeper lets you keep 1 player from the first 3 rounds and 1 players from the rest of the draft/FA. then your keepers become your round 1 and 2 picks. this allows you to keep 1 player for multiple years (you could cap the amount of years if you want) and also is fair where the 3rd round is really the 1st round of actual drafting. just another option if your league isnt sold on the idea of losing the actual round you draft someone in.

yes it was discussed...we decided on option 1 but we have a league meeting next month and the team who suggested option 2 is proposing what he thinks we should do..just getting ur guys opinions..

Regardless of what he proposes and the league decides, any change shouldn't go into effect until after next season. The current teams were drafted and built with particular keeper rules in place, those rules should be honored and teams given at least the season to adjust accordingly for the change.

Keeper Leagues are a lousy format.

However, if you must play in these types of leagues, that always upset other owners, then for every player you keep you lose a draft pick at the front of the draft. Keep 3 players then you start picking in round 4. That is the only way to keep it fair with so few keepers.

I wouldn't play that format ever but good luck.

Dynasty is fine, Redraft is fine. I get to keep 1-3 players I drafted last year; stupid. Better stop or the ranting will ensue.

However, if you must play in these types of leagues, that always upset other owners, then for every player you keep you lose a draft pick at the front of the draft. Keep 3 players then you start picking in round 4. That is the only way to keep it fair with so few keepers.

This.

I never understood the rationale for losing a pick in the round that you drafted the guy the year previously.

Keeper Leagues are a lousy format.

I wouldn't play that format ever but good luck.

Dynasty is fine, Redraft is fine. I get to keep 1-3 players I drafted last year; stupid. Better stop or the ranting will ensue.

I guess we're all entitled to our opinions.

We have a 5 man keeper (I know how stupid right), and they cost your first 5 draft picks. I've argued for some flexibility in number of keepers (so you could keep say anywhere from 3-5 players) but that hasn't been accepted.

I think option 2 is more fair than option 1, but after having a draft and going with that assumption, I agree that changing it now has some issues.