[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Worth Watching

Lady.hawke

Dude actually makes very valid points. The WTC photos were a bit over the top, but, all the same he lays it out like it is.

In case you guys don't want to watch, the producer of the video accurately points out that our politicians in DC have set us on a course for insolvency. The federal budget is out of control with regard to spending. "Entitlement Programs", as I have pointed out previously, are the largest burden weighing down the budget, defense is next and then tax receipts are too low.

The producer points out the problems and then alludes to the solutions, painful solutions. Everyone in this country needs to help in shouldering the burden. Entitlements need to be cut, defense needs to be cut, and tax codes need to be reformed. He doesn't go into much detail on the scope of his plan as it is a short video, but it is evident that something needs to be done.

I've often been a champion of a modest increase in Income taxes across the board, or lowering the tax rates and removing numerous deductions that are currently allowed (or moving to a consumption tax.) I am also a champion of decreasing defense spending through the shuttering of foreign bases and dropping all other defense spending categories to their 2007 levels. If we further reduced spending on entitlements to their 2007 levels, current tax receipts would leave us with a very modest deficit. A 1 to 3 per cent increase in all tax brackets would lead to a surplus. It's gonna be painful, but as a nation we must all make some sacrifice to build a better tomorrow for our children.

• Like 1

The problem is neither side will give an inch on this. This government clearly spends too much, but those who need the votes of the dependent classes will not cut SS/medicare, and those who depend on the military won't cut defense. And since no one is willing to cut spending, people bow their necks about paying more taxes (and rightly so, in my estimation). There is CLEARLY a spending problem with fedgov. Until that's addressed the politicians have no moral authority to raise any taxes of any kind.

Dude actually makes very valid points. The WTC photos were a bit over the top, but, all the same he lays it out like it is.

In case you guys don't want to watch, the producer of the video accurately points out that our politicians in DC have set us on a course for insolvency. The federal budget is out of control with regard to spending. "Entitlement Programs", as I have pointed out previously, are the largest burden weighing down the budget, defense is next and then tax receipts are too low.

The producer points out the problems and then alludes to the solutions, painful solutions. Everyone in this country needs to help in shouldering the burden. Entitlements need to be cut, defense needs to be cut, and tax codes need to be reformed. He doesn't go into much detail on the scope of his plan as it is a short video, but it is evident that something needs to be done.

I've often been a champion of a modest increase in Income taxes across the board, or lowering the tax rates and removing numerous deductions that are currently allowed (or moving to a consumption tax.) I am also a champion of decreasing defense spending through the shuttering of foreign bases and dropping all other defense spending categories to their 2007 levels. If we further reduced spending on entitlements to their 2007 levels, current tax receipts would leave us with a very modest deficit. A 1 to 3 per cent increase in all tax brackets would lead to a surplus. It's gonna be painful, but as a nation we must all make some sacrifice to build a better tomorrow for our children.

Amen!!

The problem is neither side will give an inch on this. This government clearly spends too much, but those who need the votes of the dependent classes will not cut SS/medicare, and those who depend on the military won't cut defense. And since no one is willing to cut spending, people bow their necks about paying more taxes (and rightly so, in my estimation). There is CLEARLY a spending problem with fedgov. Until that's addressed the politicians have no moral authority to raise any taxes of any kind.

Double Amen!!

It will truly suck to be you when the USA is bankrupt. Laugh and disparage all you want, it will still suck to be you.

It will suck to be everyone, what's your point? At least he's happy now laughing & disparaging while you wallow in misery waiting for something that may or may not happen. :shrug:

It will suck to be everyone, what's your point? At least he's happy now laughing & disparaging while you wallow in misery waiting for something that may or may not happen. :shrug:

THis, too.

I was having lunch the other day with a fairly intelligent gentleman. He began to get onto the subject that if we don't do something TODAY, something DRASTIC, that within the next five years we undoubetdly will go the way of the Roman Empire.

Now, I think we need to do something quickly, but we need to make prudent decisions not knee jerk reactions. But some of these people who think the sky is going to suddenly fall in the next 4 years are chicken little's with issues bordering on clinical diagnoses.

THis, too.

I was having lunch the other day with a fairly intelligent gentleman. He began to get onto the subject that if we don't do something TODAY, something DRASTIC, that within the next five years we undoubetdly will go the way of the Roman Empire.

Now, I think we need to do something quickly, but we need to make prudent decisions not knee jerk reactions. But some of these people who think the sky is going to suddenly fall in the next 4 years are chicken little's with issues bordering on clinical diagnoses.

Unfortunately my Father-In-Law is like this. Every time I go over his house he starts talking politics & it inevitably goes downhill with the "End Times" & "New World Order" "They want this country to fail" crap. Finally I got fed up with it one day, looked him in the eye and said "I guess I made a huge mistake having children then." That at least shut him up for a day.

Edited by rajncajn