[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question about the end of Saints/Bucs game

gilthorp

illegal contact ?

Here's the video Honestly, I don't know. I would have been upset if I were a Bucs fan because I don't see the point of the rule, but it is the rule. Again, I'll take it regardless & the way I see it, it made up for the bogus no int call for Harper even after the review. I know a lot of people are going to point to that last play, but the INT play would have been a 14 point swing.

Also, regarding the rule, I believe that either player can make contact once the QB is out of the pocket because the WRs then may be allowed to block down field. Not certain of this, but it may be the reason the defenders are allowed to make contact down field as well..I know last year it was questioned when Jake Locker rolled out & the WRs on the opposite side of the end zone were blocked out of the play.

ETA:

Edited by rajncajn

Thanks for the link. That's the first time I'd seen the whole play. Freeman clearly out of the pocket, so the shove was completely legal. Great play by the Saints DB. That's a player that knows the rules. Williams has to be smarter/stronger than that. Can't allow himself to be shoved out of bounds.

Edited by CaptainHook

So a QB is scrambling out of the pocket, a LB or DB can simply knock a receiver to the ground before a pass is thrown. I did not know that was legal.

So if this is the rule, it's the rule. Doesn't make much sense to me, especially if the QB hasn't crossed the line of scrimmage, but so be it.

Seems like teams should do this routinely then - when Locker, BigBen, BobIII, or anyone else starts a rollin' just push all the receivers down. Hard to imagine this is what the NFL intends. As long as it's not a hold or helmet-to-helmet and the ball's not in the air, go for it.