[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

15 team schedule

archiebonker

I'm looking to add a team to our league next season, it would make us a 15 team league. This year we came up with a great playoff format which starts in week 13 and runs for 4 weeks. I don't think we are going back to the old format again, but this makes it tough to make a schedule for a 15 team league. Would anyone know how I could figure this out?

15 Team

3 Divisions

12 week regular season.

Is it impossible or is there away I could use Double Headers and still have Division teams play each other twice?

Thanks

Somebody (maybe it was you) started this discussion a while ago. With an odd number of teams, you have one of two things every week. A team on bye not playing, or one team playing two opponents. There is no way around that.

So each week you have at least one team with no game, or two games. Not sure how you get around that and make any sort of schedule that makes sense or is fair.

Maybe your right stevegrab.... but I was wondering if I could some how make Double Headers with a few weeks with teams that are not division teams. And keep single game weeks for the rest. Maybe I can do it or maybe not. Guess we'll see if it works. Haven't had a chance to figure this out yet.

Maybe your right stevegrab.... but I was wondering if I could some how make Double Headers with a few weeks with teams that are not division teams. And keep single game weeks for the rest. Maybe I can do it or maybe not. Guess we'll see if it works. Haven't had a chance to figure this out yet.

You are putting 5 teams in a division

1 plays 2

3 plays 4

5 plays ?

Yes, be easy to figure out 16....but maybe if I use Double headers on odd weeks I could figure this out.

Lets say you have 15 teams, ignoring divisions and who you want playing who you have

week 1 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, 9-10, 11-12, 13-14, 15-?

week 2 2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9, 10-11, 12-13, 14-15, 1-?

Every week you have one team without an opponent, they either need to have a bye or play somebody that already has a game. So each week you're going to have an odd number of teams either

1) on bye

2) playing DH

You could say, ok in week 1 team 1 plays 2 and 15, ok but now you have some teams in some weeks having a DH while others do not, and have a combined 2 game results (W/L) instead of 1 like others.

The only way I can see this POSSIBLY working is every week every team has multiple opponents, in this case 2, for example

1 plays 2 & 3

2 plays 3 & 4

13 plays 14 & 15

14 plays 15 & 1 <- hmm, but 1 didn't play 14 above so maybe 1 plays 14 & 2 15 plays 14 & 13

An odd number of teams creates an overly complex scheduling scenario. If you cannot resolve the simple "who plays who in a single week (without regard to divisios and balanced play)" it won't be possible. If you're looking past that you'll think you have all sorts of solutions until you actually try doing a schedule.

Maybe try this excercise write 1-15 down two sides of the same sheet of paper. Then draw lines between the two sides to indicate a single weeks games (pretend it is a non division week, so you don't care about that). Does every team play somebody? Do they each play the same number of games?

Who knows maybe there is some simple way of dealing with an odd number of teams, but I just don't see it.

Edited by stevegrab

Lets say you have 15 teams, ignoring divisions and who you want playing who you have

week 1 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, 9-10, 11-12, 13-14, 15-?

week 2 2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9, 10-11, 12-13, 14-15, 1-?

Every week you have one team without an opponent, they either need to have a bye or play somebody that already has a game. So each week you're going to have an odd number of teams either

1) on bye

2) playing DH

You could say, ok in week 1 team 1 plays 2 and 15, ok but now you have some teams in some weeks having a DH while others do not, and have a combined 2 game results (W/L) instead of 1 like others.

The only way I can see this POSSIBLY working is every week every team has multiple opponents, in this case 2, for example

1 plays 2 & 3

2 plays 3 & 4

13 plays 14 & 15

14 plays 15 & 1 <- hmm, but 1 didn't play 14 above so maybe 1 plays 14 & 2 15 plays 14 & 13

An odd number of teams creates an overly complex scheduling scenario. If you cannot resolve the simple "who plays who in a single week (without regard to divisios and balanced play)" it won't be possible. If you're looking past that you'll think you have all sorts of solutions until you actually try doing a schedule.

Maybe try this excercise write 1-15 down two sides of the same sheet of paper. Then draw lines between the two sides to indicate a single weeks games (pretend it is a non division week, so you don't care about that). Does every team play somebody? Do they each play the same number of games?

Who knows maybe there is some simple way of dealing with an odd number of teams, but I just don't see it.

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure this will not work with 15 teams regardless, and definitely not if you add in divisions (I'll leave that part out of the discussion and just focus on what we can more easily determine):

1) Double-header - How is it even rectified by a double-headers, because you can't just have just 1 team play a double header, it takes 2 to play a game. This does not solve your odd number dilemma whatsoever.

2) Byes - a 12 week schedule would most likely not work even with byes. 13 weeks would, since you could have 1 team on bye per week, but 3 on 1 week for the extra 2 (unless you want to go with a 15 week schedule of course). The reason why 12 won't work is because the number of teams on bye has to be an odd number of them, 1, 3, 5 etc., or again we'd be right back where we started with an odd number of teams playing. You try to figure out how to do that over 12 weeks, whilst keeping an even number of teams playing... I assure you, you can't.

I think you guys are right....the more I see what you wrote and the more I look at it. It might be impossible. I really thank you guys for looking at this with me.

What I might do is this. Try to change the starting lineups and less on the bench. See if I can't add two teams and make it 16. Come up with a schedule for 4 Divisions of 4 or 2 Divisions of 8. (I'm just worried that this might be too many teams and it will be too hard to pickup on waivers even though we have a blind bidding rule).

Thanks again guys...very good discussion.