[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Auction keeper leagues: Anyone have experience with tiered budgets, based on last year's record?

Swiss Cheezhead

My long-time worldwide military league is transitioning to an auction this year. It's a keeper league, so we've always done draft order based on reverse of prior year's standings. With an auction, the only way I can think of to mimic that concept is to give the bad teams a few extra dollars to spend. My tentative proposal:

1st-, 2nd-, and 3rd-place finishers (including me) = $200 budget

4th- through 6th-place finishers = $202 budget

7th- through 9th-place finishers = $204 budget

10th- and 11th-place finishers = $206 budget

12th- through 14th-place finishers = $208 budget

Curious to know what others think about this, and if I'm not the first to try it, I'd love to know HOW to implement it within the constructs of a live online auction. I don't think ESPN or MFL accommodates that option, but I could be wrong.

A couple of extra bucks like that probly won't make much difference--and you're right, I don't think any online sites will be able to accommodate different budgets for different teams. Your best equalizer would be to charge each team fair market value (use the average values from the site you're planning to use) for the keepers they intend to keep--the teams with the best players will then naturally start out with less money than the teams with crappier keepers.

You can even charge market value + 10% (or more) if you want to encourage players being thrown back into the pool rather than being kept, and then increase their cost by another 10% (or more) for every subsequent year they are kept, or something like that.

You see how well that worked for my Detroit. : )

Ive been in leagues that converted over but we always just kept everyones budget the same. it would be a friendly thing to do though especially as I am sure there was a few people that had to be convinced to switch in the 1st place

Tford runs a 12-team auction dynasty league here (No Guts, No Glory)... The dollar amounts for the rookie auction range from roughly $60 to $200 (If I remember correctly), but the annual blind bid allotment is $100/team.

• 2 weeks later...

Tford runs a 12-team auction dynasty league here (No Guts, No Glory)... The dollar amounts for the rookie auction range from roughly $60 to $200 (If I remember correctly), but the annual blind bid allotment is $100/team.

MFL, I assume? Or do you guys do it some other, more manual way?

Not sure how to do keepers for first year other then valuing per a couple websites.

in the future, you can base it on what was paid for them plus a percentage. I would put that every player kept cost at least a certain amount though.

I'm not sure how happy I'd be with rules like that in my auction league. Those last few dollars are pretty big. That's 3 or 4 dollar-derby guys I can snipe, or it's the difference between landing Calvin Johnson and not. The bad teams are going to self-correct in many ways with late season trades - you'll see a couple of owners every year sell the farm to compete now. For example a couple years ago Drew Brees ($40) and Brandon Marshall (not eligible to keep) to a contender for Matt Ryan ($11) and Jordy Nelson ($1). Ryan and Nelson owner was far more competitive last year. Giving him 8 extra dollars would have been even worse.