[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Injured reserve

aggiebones

When are players returned to the active roster after a previous season on the IR?

For instance, a player on IR for 2012 is active when?

At the start of 2013 training camp, after the 2012 Super Bowl, some random date in the offseason?

Thanks for help, we need this date to settle argument in league.

First time eligible to be active (if not "designated for Return") is right after their season is over. But no official desgination unti the start of training camp, when a player can be active or placed on PUP for an injury that is still lingering. A player can be taken off pre-season PUP anytime prior to the final cutdown day, where the player is either placed on the active roster, in-season PUP, IR or cut.

Big John,

Do you know what is the reason for putting players on PUP during pre-season. Does that allow them to add another player to roster (there is a limit during camp/pre-season, no?). Since they can come off at any time I just wonder what siginificance it has for the team/player.

I believe they are put there so they are still eligible for regular-season PUP. If the team declared a player on pre-season PUP ready to play/practice then he can be taken off that immediately without waiting the minimum 6 weeks.

Big John,

Do you know what is the reason for putting players on PUP during pre-season. Does that allow them to add another player to roster (there is a limit during camp/pre-season, no?). Since they can come off at any time I just wonder what siginificance it has for the team/player.

My understanding is that this is the reason - if on the pre-season PUP, the player does not count against the camp roster limit

I believe they are put there so they are still eligible for regular-season PUP. If the team declared a player on pre-season PUP ready to play/practice then he can be taken off that immediately without waiting the minimum 6 weeks.

Ok, gotcha.

BCs comment too, could be both things combined.

Edited by stevegrab

Actually, they do count against the 90-man roster limit.

Then I must've misunderstood some of the recent transactions about the injured/waived players not counting against the 90 man roster, etc. Not surprising as some of those roster rules can be confusing as hell.

As to the OP, technically speaking there is no injured reserve between the end of one season and the start of the next.