[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FCC considers petition to ban the name 'Redskins'

ImNotSoIgnorant

Ok if that is your logic, get ready for a domino affect with the following:

Golden State Warriors

Stanford Indians

St. John's Redmen

Edmonton Eskimos

Atlanta Braves

Chicago Blackhawks

Cleveland Indians

Pekin Chinks (they did change there name in 1980)

Kansas City Chiefs

Coachella Valley Arabs

Robstown Cotton Pickers

Were any of these teams founded by a proud racist or the last one to allow black players on the team?

Ok if that is your logic, get ready for a domino affect with the following:

Golden State Warriors

Stanford Indians

St. John's Redmen

Edmonton Eskimos

Atlanta Braves

Chicago Blackhawks

Cleveland Indians

Pekin Chinks (they did change there name in 1980)

Kansas City Chiefs

Coachella Valley Arabs

Robstown Cotton Pickers

While I think the whole idea of changing the name of the Redskins to something PC is inane ... how many of the names in your list are considered "derogatory"? If you call an Indian "Indian" is it a racial slur? If you call an Arab "Arab" is it a racial slur? Are the terms Chiefs and Braves racial slurs? Eskimos? Warriors?

Sorry you are reaching.

• Like 1

While I think the whole idea of changing the name of the Redskins to something PC is inane ... how many of the names in your list are considered "derogatory"? If you call an Indian "Indian" is it a racial slur? If you call an Arab "Arab" is it a racial slur? Are the terms Chiefs and Braves racial slurs? Eskimos? Warriors?

Sorry you are reaching.

Well, I suppose not considering Black-ish is now a tv show with a predominantly black cast.

Just don't give me a reach around and all is good

Edited by tazinib1

I'm so sick of all this PC. The Government needs to stay out of it. The Washington Redskins have been around like forever. Why now?? All this is BS. The Redskins is a proud name. I in no way think of it as a slur as some like the little man, Bob Costas does. Of course the N-Word is a slur. That's obvious. When someone uses that word, I think, that's bad, when someone says Redskins, I think of football. Enough of the PC already.

Sorry you are reaching.

Did you see that Chiefs game opening last week, with the whole crowd chanting like Indians, doing the Tomahawk chop? That isn't racist? And what about Cottonpickers, oh wait it just a small suburban school, not worthy of the attention of the media, so that can stay.