[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

John Brown losing ground?

Alphashado

"Coach Bruce Arians said Michael Floyd is "probably going to take back" the starting job from John Brown opposite Larry Fitzgerald."

Grrr.. Brown has been great barring injury. He has done nothing to warrant getting dropped down on the depth chart. Plus I had them both and dropped Floyd because Brown was the one producing AND he was higher on the depth chart... Floyd came in and did well while Brown was hurt, so now Brown loses his spot on the pecking order? Kinda crappy.

Edited by Alphashado

I still think John Brown is useful and will still be productive.

I hope so. You would think so. BA would be foolish to stop using Brown. He is incredibly fast and he has great hands. He is a big time play maker. Now the beat writers are hastily correcting themselves, saying that this only means Floyd will be more involved in 3WR sets... But when the coach says things like "Floyd will be taking his job back" that sounds to me like they never considered Brown to be anything more than a fill-in for Floyd, which doesn't jive very well with everything this staff was saying at the beginning of the year about how John Brown reminds them of Marvin Harrison blah blah blah.

Something stinks here.

It smells like an owner or GM playing the "we used a high draft pick on this guy so we better be using him" card.

Isn't Floyd bigger/taller like Fitz, while Brown is a fast smaller guy? Maybe they simply feel that having 2 big WR in there more often gives them more of an advantage against defenses.

Too many mouths to feed. I know he had a hammy injury last week, but was active then stood on the sideline all game waiting to play, eventually getting rid of his helmet. Maybe it was just depth in case other WR got hurt, so they still had good players to use in 3/4/5 wide sets.

And I highly doubt it is a decision based on where he was drafted and they look bad if they're not starting him guys ballin and his size helps. Brown will still get his maybe just not quite as much as you expected at seasons start... It happens

You are kidding yourself if you think that draft position doesn't play a part in an owner's or GMs decision to put pressure on a coach to give a guy more playing time. GMs and coaches will ride a sinking ship to the bottom of a watery grave while sticking with the guys they picked. it's happened time and time again in the NFL. Too many examples to even bother giving any.

They probably didn't get the memo that you dropped Floyd and kept Brown... Better send it again so they can make the adjustments

Thanks for the brilliant commentary. I don't think I would have to look around very hard for me to find something you got bent about. Maybe I will, just so I can chirp in with equally constructive feedback.

GMs and coaches will ride a sinking ship to the bottom of a watery grave while sticking with the guys they picked. it's happened time and time again in the NFL. Too many examples to even bother giving any.

i feel like this mainly happens with QBs. can you give an example actually for WR or RB? i feel like they more often don't give new guys a shot with the "training wheels" or whatever, or wait till they're "used" to the new scheme.

i'm not saying you're wrong, i just can't think of any good examples myself. on the other hand i'm coming up with jimmy graham for instance.

Edited by pun

Brown got the starts because Floyd was hurt imo....sooooo makes sense that Floyd gets the spot back now that hes healthy.

Floyd is a very good WR imo ....and it was that nasty hand injury that kept him off the field this year....but i honestly

think this is more of a "holy crap Fitz is still here" sort of thing.

Fitz is obviously having a GREAT year but theres no way anyone was expecting anything close to what hes doing ....hes actually on pace for his best year ----ever.

and it wasn't that long ago that a lot of people thought his days were numbered in AZ.

Brown can be the 3rd WR for a bit ... hes only 25 (same age as Floyd)

AZ will keep riding the Fitz train knowing that they have 2 real good young WRs behind him --the future is good for AZ in the WR dept

• Like 2

i feel like this mainly happens with QBs. can you give an example actually for WR or RB? i feel like they more often don't give new guys a shot with the "training wheels" or whatever, or wait till they're "used" to the new scheme.

i'm not saying you're wrong, i just can't think of any good examples myself. on the other hand i'm coming up with jimmy graham for instance.

That's a pretty good point. Now that I reflect on it, this seems to happen much more often with QBs. However there are examples of it happening with other positions. Matt Millen comes to mind with Detroit. His insistence on drafting WRs with early picks year after year and insisting on using them is what eventually cost him his job. Also, there are recent examples of RBs, like Denver using Monte Ball last year to a fault until he got hurt, despite his poor performance or S.D doing the same with Melvin Gordon this year.

The big difference here of course is that Floyd is playing great. The only point I was making is that draft position can and will influence positions on the depth chart, even if both players are doing well or not. I can easily see someone high on the Arizona pecking order saying "Yeah, Brown is doing great, but Floyd is also doing great and we drafted him higher, so lets get him the ball more". That's all I'm saying.

Edited by Alphashado
  • Like 1

Saw this developing as Floyd got healthy and deep balls started being thrown his way. Not saying Brown can't do the same thing but his targets are going to decrease into the 3rd receiver range and his big games are going to be more sporadic and less consistent.

It's like when your mom goes through the basement with a Goodwill box and starts gathering all the toys you haven't touched since you were 7. "Noooooo, not Stretch Armstrong, he's the best!". You take Stretch everywhere with you - to school, to baseball practice, he displaces that nasty ass stuffed giraffe at the edge of your pillow. Then, once mom is off her rampage, you slide Stretch right back into that toybox to gather dust for 4 more years while you fire up some Mattel Football.

• Like 1