[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Inactive owner

tylcook13

Here's a scenario for you OP. My girlfriend and I are in a league, she's Undefeated. Half her team is on bye last week Brown, Brees, Barnidge ect. ect.. She's playing an inactive owner who hasn't set his lineup in a couple weeks, just like your scenario. He ends up playing two inactive players, Alshon and someone else, I forgot. And my Girlfriend's team craps the bed, it's a close game but she's winning by 30 points. Her opponent still has Lynch starting... again because of his neglect. One of the other members in the league sees this happening and gives the owner a call and tells him Lynch is sitting and he needs to switch in Rawls.

Well the rest is history, but my Girlfriend obviously lost. She was obviously pissed about it, because the other owner just wanted her to lose and had no real stake in the game. Now is that a wrong thing for that owner to do? I told my girlfriend it didn't even matter since she clinched the playoffs anyway, but she's a sore loser. But honestly even if the game did matter and even if it cost her the playoffs... I still don't think it's really "unfair."

Curious as to what you guys would think.

I think you are making a huge mistake playing fantasy football with your girlfriend...and that the dude who made the phone call should have minded his own business...and that the guy staring inactive players shouldn't be in the league next year.

Now if the busybody had alerted the league that there were inactive players on rosters that would be different, but it sounds like he was just doing it so the undefeated team would lose.

Commissioner's job to monitor this kind of thing. You can't do much if it's a one week occurrence -- anybody can make a dumb move or have an oversight. But it the situation repeats, then the commish should step in -- it's best if the league has some established guideline (automatic forfeit going forward, commish / computer set lineup?) I agree that there should be some repercussion for future involvement in the league. Inactives is a problem that has no good solution other than to have league members who don't do it. For your situation -- no solution -- just have to live with the "unfairness."

I think you are making a huge mistake playing fantasy football with your girlfriend...and that the dude who made the phone call should have minded his own business...and that the guy staring inactive players shouldn't be in the league next year.

Now if the busybody had alerted the league that there were inactive players on rosters that would be different, but it sounds like he was just doing it so the undefeated team would lose.

Interesting, the way I look at it is that if the owner is doing his due diligence he should've started those players anyway. Sure it's a duck move to make sure the negligent owner starts the right players. This situation muddied the waters even more as it was clear at that point that the team in question had a good shot at winning as long as he replaced Lynch. But ultimately the responsibility falls on the owner to win their game. I mean it's hard to get seriously angry that your team didn't win because the other owner didn't start his inactives... It's dangerous to get into the mentality of blaming other people in situations like this and I feel like that's a common mentality these days.

As for the topic of playing with my GF, I'd also be curious to hear your views on why it is a mistake. I personally think it was a bit more detrimental to my team as I'm much more inclined to help my GF out and suggest waiver picks, she ended up picking up barnidge and mcfadden based on my advice. Now would that be considered collusion I wonder? I wouldn't think so.

Edited by Inziladun

Here's a scenario for you OP. My girlfriend and I are in a league, she's Undefeated. Half her team is on bye last week Brown, Brees, Barnidge ect. ect.. She's playing an inactive owner who hasn't set his lineup in a couple weeks, just like your scenario. He ends up playing two inactive players, Alshon and someone else, I forgot. And my Girlfriend's team craps the bed, it's a close game but she's winning by 30 points. Her opponent still has Lynch starting... again because of his neglect. One of the other members in the league sees this happening and gives the owner a call and tells him Lynch is sitting and he needs to switch in Rawls.

Well the rest is history, but my Girlfriend obviously lost. She was obviously pissed about it, because the other owner just wanted her to lose and had no real stake in the game. Now is that a wrong thing for that owner to do? I told my girlfriend it didn't even matter since she clinched the playoffs anyway, but she's a sore loser. But honestly even if the game did matter and even if it cost her the playoffs... I still don't think it's really "unfair."

Did your GF roll with bye week players? Did she make the moves she would have made had she been facing an active owner? If she saw that she was playing an inactive owner and decided she could win by standing pat then it is a risk she took. Either way it is the owner's right to sub out Lynch for Rawls, there is nothing that can be done about that. I don't think there is anything you can do about an owner that calls another to encourage him to start his best line up either.

we'll need pics of the girlfriend to give a good, well thought out answer

• Like 1

Did your GF roll with bye week players? Did she make the moves she would have made had she been facing an active owner? If she saw that she was playing an inactive owner and decided she could win by standing pat then it is a risk she took. Either way it is the owner's right to sub out Lynch for Rawls, there is nothing that can be done about that. I don't think there is anything you can do about an owner that calls another to encourage him to start his best line up either.

I agree. And she fielded the best team she could. As I mentioned she had about 4 players on bye.

Interesting, the way I look at it is that if the owner is doing his due diligence he should've started those players anyway. Sure it's a duck move to make sure the negligent owner starts the right players. This situation muddied the waters even more as it was clear at that point that the team in question had a good shot at winning as long as he replaced Lynch. But ultimately the responsibility falls on the owner to win their game. I mean it's hard to get seriously angry that your team didn't win because the other owner didn't start his inactives... It's dangerous to get into the mentality of blaming other people in situations like this and I feel like that's a common mentality these days.

As for the topic of playing with my GF, I'd also be curious to hear your views on why it is a mistake. I personally think it was a bit more detrimental to my team as I'm much more inclined to help my GF out and suggest waiver picks, she ended up picking up barnidge and mcfadden based on my advice. Now would that be considered collusion I wonder? I wouldn't think so.

I should have added that your girlfriend can't really be mad, as her lineup obviously wasn't good enough to win had the owner been playing a full lineup himself. Sure, it sucks, but you should never expect to win. I have seen partial lineups that haven't been altered in weeks beat guys who start full lineups because of a good day or bad day from guys who all happen to be on the same team.

In regards to why I think it's a bad idea to play with your girlfriend, it is hard to give advice or make trades without the appearance of colluding, and then when you do try to help, if you are wrong, I could see it starting trouble if she thinks you are trying to sabotage her. I just think it would be better to keep relationships out of fantasy. I personally like that fantasy is something that I can do independent of my wife. If it is something that is enjoyable for the two of you, though, by all means, don't listen to me. At least it means that your girlfriend probably isn't complaining about you watching football all day.

Edited by Boy Named Suh

If she had been playing the 2nd best team in the league ... would she have started the same lineup?

I would imagine so.. she had noone else really to rotate in. She could have started welker over hurns.. but I can't imagine that would have been the smartest thing to do. She didn't have much room to move people around. I suggested she dig through the waivers for a better QB than tannehil but she ignored my advice. Maybe she may have tried a little harder if it were the no. 2 team? It's impossible for me to speculate that tbh. Within the confines of her team she didn't have any choices other than welker vs. Hurns due to bye week troubles. (Brown, brees, barnidge, snead)

Now I suppose maybe she could have dropped Welker for a different option to play over hur s. Do I suppose she may have considered it were she up against a high ranked team? I doubt it.

Edited by Inziladun

He was inactive playing bye week players and players he should have known weren't going to play. Maybe those owners the last few weeks are his friends. I am in competition with those owners over a playoff spot. By not setting his lineup over the past few weeks it helped them, may have even got them some wins. A couple of those games were very close. Now he has decided to maximize his lineup against me out of nowhere with no hope of improving his last place position even if he wins out. It is a game and I'm sure he would like to win still but if he wanted to pull some wins just for fun why take a few weeks off in the first place? He probably still had a chance to make the playoffs a few weeks ago and now that it doesn't matter he decides to set his lineup?

I think you vote to change the rules next year giving YOU power to override any lineup you don't like.

OR, live with it, it's the way FF works. Not always perfect but still a lot of fun. Don't worry yourself so much you lose sight of the fun!

:shades:

Yes I have decided to live with it and perhaps bring it up sometime after the season is over. Not really sure what the right time to bring it up would be. The commish is a great guy and he does a wonderful job, I have all the respect in the world for him so I don't want to start a stink over something like this. manure happens, hopefully I win. Like Boy named Suh said there is more satisfaction beating a full lineup, so let the best team win! Thanks for the advise guys.

Same thing happened in my league. Everyone who isn't close to making the playoffs just stopped bother particpating for like, two weeks now. It kinda sucks because trading is one of the fun parts of Fantasy Football and you can't do that if half the league is inactive. I even emailed the league owner and asked if he could send out a email to everyone stressing to be more active in their league but he just said "People don't care anymore that their not close to the playoffs, just get over it."

I'm playing a dude who has Laveon Bell, Adrian Foster, and Jamaal Charles in the starting line up and had them there since week 8.

Same thing happened in my league. Everyone who isn't close to making the playoffs just stopped bother particpating for like, two weeks now. It kinda sucks because trading is one of the fun parts of Fantasy Football and you can't do that if half the league is inactive. I even emailed the league owner and asked if he could send out a email to everyone stressing to be more active in their league but he just said "People don't care anymore that their not close to the playoffs, just get over it."

I'm playing a dude who has Laveon Bell, Adrian Foster, and Jamaal Charles in the starting line up and had them there since week 8.

You are simply playing with the wrong people.

• Like 1

lmao this is great.

we have someone in our league that hasnt been setting a line up and i brought up to someone that i should set a line up for him each week. but then after talking about it it would be unfair for whoever plays him afterwards has to play a full line up when everyone has been playing him with a faulty line up . i just decided to leave it alone.

IMO this falls back on the commish. It reflects the people you associate with. If people are irresponsible in other aspects of their lives there is a good chance that will carry over. In the leagues I've been commissioner there was only one [1] point I stressed before inviting new members - they be active for the entire season, meaning field an active roster each week. That's it. Doing this I've never had a problem with lame duck owners.

I'm in a new league this year and it's been a joke where a number of teams have started bye week players. I chalk this up to lack of leadership and direction from the commissioner. When you lower the bar you invite this sort of BS.

Edited by MothAudio

I agree with an earlier poster. If the commish decided to adjust the line up after leaving it for a few weeks its an issue. Especially if the lineup was allowed when the neglected team played the commish. Had this happen to me a few years ago. League allowed an inactive lineup for several weeks and then the week I was due for a free win, they decided to set its lineup.

we have been dealing with an inactive owner in my local but the commish is setting his lineup.....

except when he played him last week and I had to call him out because he had a kicker on a bye starting for that team that he "overlooked" but as soon as Lacy was inactive the week before he was all over that honda and scooped up Alfred Morris.....and then conveniently left Morris in for the game against him leaving Gore and Lacy (nobody saw that coming) on the bench....

I hate suspect commish's :bash:

anyways I didn't notice the kicker thing until Monday and he tried ignoring me.....luckily Carpenter was still available and he tried to make it like I was making a big deal out of nothing and added Carpenter after the game started......what about all those other kickers on waivers prior to Sunday? Crosby scored 22 points....

and he ended up losing to that team by about 7 points while Carpenter scored 9.....

the morale of the story is don't be in leagues with people who abandon their teams....?...and hindsight is 20/20

Well my opponent this week left in Ryan Mathews this week from my original post. Mathews was projected by CBS for around 10 points PPR I beleive when he set his lineup. So he isn't paying very close attention besides looking at projected points earlier this week.

Happy Thanksgiving

Edited by tylcook13