[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fair Playoff Waiver Wire order. Newer Commissioner, please help.

Nikö

Hello, I am Commissioner for a standard 10 Team League on ESPN (not a keeper league) that had a snake draft and a waiver order based upon the previous weeks results. Meaning the Team with the worst record picks first then to the best Team picking last and resets each week. My question that the League has brought up is...now that we are into the playoffs what is the most fair way to handle the waiver wire? I currently have the waiver wire open ONLY to those 4 Teams that are competing for the money spots.

The waiver order is currently set at the 4th place team will pick first then moving up to the Team with the best regular season record picking last. Some Managers have the argument that now that the playoffs are under way I should allow the best teams to pick first down to the forth place team as we do not have a "bye week" for 1st and 2nd. (Teams play each other in a 2 week playoff) Their argument is that the better Teams should get a "reward" for having a better record at this point in the season.

My belief is that it would only make the "better Teams" stronger getting the 1st grab at waivers. I want to make the most fair decision on this issue and would like some feedback to bring to our League.

As I mentioned I am Commissioner and also happen to be in that 4th seat for that playoffs and again I want my decision to be unbiased and fair.

Is it common for other Leagues to "invert" the waiver order for the playoff match-ups? I am also in another standard 10 Team League where the Commissioner has decided to give the 1st and 2nd ranked Team a "bye week" AND first access to the waiver wire. (10 Team League, top 6 Teams go to playoffs. 1 and 2 seat are on "bye week" for week 14) That seems WAY to advantageous to the better Teams. Am I wrong?

I appreciate your time and thoughts on the issue. Next year I will be using a FAAB Waiver Wire.

Have a great rest of the Fantasy Football year!!!

Niko

Agree with others, waiver order remains as it was (teams out of the playoffs cannot make them) no reason to reset to best team gets first pick.I'm guessing the team managers complaining are the 1/2 seeds that are afraid of losing to the 3/4 seed who may get a nice player off waivers.

Tell them "our rules don't say the waiver order resets for playoffs so why do you think it should". And before next season try to address that in your rules so it doesn't come up again.

I've never seen a league "invert" the waiver order for playoffs. Unless spelled out in the rules, stick with whatever waiver rules you have had in place.

For future years, you can also consider locking waivers for the playoffs - got to win it with what got you there. Pros and cons to that of course, but always an option.

I agree that there should be no changing of rules mid-season. Man up, and let the league know that any rules changes will be made during the off season.

Ugh...first to worst waivers are the worst

I disagree, as that is the only way I made the playoffs. I think that it lets teams who have the injuries, underperformers, etc. stay competitive. I had early priority a few weeks in a row and turned it into Theo Riddick, Jeremy Langford, Spencer Ware (for a week) and David Johnson. I ended the regular season in 2nd place. Without even one of those guys at the time I got them, I would not have made the playoffs. I feel like the playoff teams would have been decided around week 6 or 7 with any other waiver structure.

I do see where it would be frustrating to watch a 3-6 team rip off 4 wins in a row based on wire order, but every week my opponents left a lot of points on the bench, so I don't really think that there is much they can say about my winning with waiver wire players.

Edited by Boy Named Suh

I agree that there should be no changing of rules mid-season. Man up, and let the league know that any rules changes will be made during the off season.

I disagree, as that is the only way I made the playoffs. I think that it lets teams who have the injuries, underperformers, etc. stay competitive. I had early priority a few weeks in a row and turned it into Theo Riddick, Jeremy Langford, Spencer Ware (for a week) and David Johnson. I ended the regular season in 2nd place. Without even one of those guys at the time I got them, I would not have made the playoffs. I feel like the playoff teams would have been decided around week 6 or 7 with any other waiver structure.

I do see where it would be frustrating to watch a 3-6 team rip off 4 wins in a row based on wire order, but every week my opponents left a lot of points on the bench, so I don't really think that there is much they can say about my winning with waiver wire players.

I think you misread his post..... he said FIRST to WORST.... not WORST to FIRST

In my 12-team leagues we have two playoff brackets: A "Championship Bracket" for the 1st - 4th place regular season finishers and a "Consolation Bracket" for 5th - 8th place regular season finishers (Consolation bracket winner gets his entry fee back). Of course 9th -12th are locked out of waivers.

Our by-laws slightly modify the worst-first standard waiver order during the playoffs.

We allow the 4 teams in the Championship Bracket to go first in the following order: 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st. After those, then the 8th-5th place teams go. Obviously, during the regular season 8th - 5th would precede 4th - 1st, but since they are not playing for the big money, we reverse those 2 groups.

Edited by Dcat
  • Like 1

Gang, thanks for your time and thoughts on this matter. Your advice is much appreciated! I decided as most of you had mentioned to keep things as they have been all season long and have the team with the worst record of the 4 teams going to the playoffs pick first, moving up to the best team picking last. I will then keep that order moving forward each week beginning with the Team after the Team that picked the last FA player.

Again thank you for your time and opinion.

Niko