[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The curious case of Brian Hoyer's Skull...

anismith

I thought, and I could be wrong, that you cannot practice until you've been cleared.

I think there are different levels. For some levels you cannot attend practice even (this happened with Ryan Mathews) and then with some you can attend, but not actually practice (this happened to Bradford that same week). Maybe with other levels you can practice but not start?

Some more info on the NFL concussion protocol from a story on Robert Griffen back in August

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2015/08/29/explaining-nfl-concussion-protocol-the-five-step-map-for-rgiiis-return/

especially the part following

"For those seeking a better understanding of what the NFL concussion protocol requires, here’s a look at its five steps:"

At the first level they don't take part in team meetings, beyond that they can. At the last level they can resume full activity, don't see any indication that they can practice fully but be ruled out of starting. That would seem strange and very confusing.

He's been cleared to practice... but not to play yet.

I didn't read some of that fully thinking once cleared to practice they can play. What you say fits in the last level of the protocol, underlined

Full football activity, full clearance. The player resumes practicing with the team, with no limitations. Once the team physician clears him to complete, the player is examined by the independent neurological consultant, who also reviews any relevant neurological tests.