[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When is it time for a timeout?

BA Baracus

There have been a lot of weeks this season where I have spent my Sunday evening in a state of extreme annoyance. In my 15 years of playing fantasy football and 30+ years of watching football, I've experienced plenty of heart breaking losses, but it seems like I'm taking them harder than usual this year. It has crossed my mind, on more than one occasion this season, that I might want to take a year off from fantasy (and football altogether) and quit letting it ruin my Sundays.

Has anyone else done this? Did you come back refreshed? Did you come back at all?

I feel like I don't even really have the option to quit as I am the commissioner of several leagues, one of which is a dynasty. I love getting together with different groups of friends for drafts in August, but the in-season stress and aggravation is starting to negatively affect my overall quality of life. It's a game, it's supposed to be fun, but it frequently pisses me off for days at a time and winning isn't the high that it used to be. I hate how it makes me a grumpy jerk at home, but I also don't want to damage friendships by causing any leagues to fold. I'm at a tipping point here and am very conflicted.

I realize that this is a question that only I can answer, but I'd appreciate any similar experiences that others could share.

I took my time out this past season not because of the frustrations of fantasy football as I had my most successful season last year but because my life with four kids was just too crazy.  Not sure when I will return, I imagine they'll have to be much older.

Keep no more than 2-4. If you can do 2 better. I posted in the other thread as well.

This is the first season ever that I have not watched a single football game... I don't think I will ever stopped playing FF completely but would not be surprised if it happens next year. Could be I'm burned out at work as well. I can retire this year but in reality need to stay 3-4 more to make a sound financial decision. Wife being super sick again doesn't help things... 

I feel your pain, maybe it's combined with other things going on with you. Stay strong and always cut FF over RL.

/cheers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shaman said:

This is the first season ever that I have not watched a single football game...

I wonder if this would help, but I don't know if it would work since I make a lot of decisions based on what I see on the field. Watching the games is when I let my emotions get away from me. I hate spending Sunday night wishing I hadn't yelled at the damn TV in front of the kids.

yeah, you don't have to be glued to the TV to play fantasy. Spoiler alert! The games take place whether we watch them or not. Plenty of news the next day about injuries and such. I wouldn't let watching football dictate my Sunday if I had better things to do...

It has made a difference not watching the games. You can always watch the recaps online and what I do is catch up on the huddle members content and one other website. That has been enough this year. Of course having 5 or less leagues is a lot easier to manage than 10+.

I tried to stop caring so much about fantasy, when I spent tons of time on it, and extra money (including a Huddle Membership) I never really did much better, just spent more time and got more aggravated. Also one owner who was a PITA is gone and smoe joy has been returned to the league.

As for real football, one key for me is watching games on DVR delay, I spend less time watching, I start far enough behind on Sunday that if the first game blows, I can just skip it and move to the 2nd game, or kill a bit of time until its ready. I also stopped taking the horrible Browns team so personally, believing they were on the path to respectability until I see some proof. Over the last 2 seasons, I've probably watched only a few games all the way, maybe 60% of games for a half or so, many games I just skip entirely (like this past weeks 20-3 loss to Bears, was watching the Lions game with my brother who was a fan, then checked final score of Browns).

If I'm having a coronary yelling at my TV, my fantasy team, the Browns, idiot players on the field, bad calls, etc. its not entertainment. If you're finding you're angry yelling during games, with your kids around, possibly swearing etc, yep probably time for some kind of break. Enjoy the victories and successes your fantasy and favorite team have had.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/19/2017 at 6:25 AM, BA Baracus said:

I wonder if this would help, but I don't know if it would work since I make a lot of decisions based on what I see on the field. Watching the games is when I let my emotions get away from me. I hate spending Sunday night wishing I hadn't yelled at the damn TV in front of the kids.

Put your TV in the garage.  Have some beer stashed in a cooler out there.  That way your kids won't see you ;-)