[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL to play in Germany

Big John

I think the initial goal is just to build more interest in Europe, especially places where NFL Europe did pretty well before like England and Germany. Not sure they really ever expect to have a team located there. But if there are more NFL fans around the world that makes their product more valuable, merchandise, broadcast contracts.

When I was reading the Wikipedia article on NFL international games that I posted earlier, it mentioned that back in 2007 they were discussing the possibility of a 17th game, with teams giving up those home games to be played in Europe or elsewhere. The players balked at that, so it was tabled until a future CBA where it was worked out. 

I was trying to find information on the financials of these game, does the NFL make money, are there big fees paid by sponsors to make it lucrative etc. But came up empty. I do know they games (esp London) sell out quickly, and have many fans, most of whom are NOT American ex-pats. (Wiki article says just 3% Americans, 22% from London, and 60% from other parts of Britain leaving about 18% outside Britain. 

Another good read on the NFL international games

https://boardroom.tv/nfl-international-expansion-2022/

So 4 new European (EFL) teams join the NFL. Change schedule to 18 games.

EFL teams play a home/away within their division like normal.

6 rotating NFL teams are designated the traveling teams each year. 3 would go for 4 weeks in a row and play each EFL team, the other 3 NFL teams would come a different month.

All 4 EFL teams would come to America twice for 3 weeks in a row to play any 6 different non rotating teams.

On 1/20/2023 at 7:54 PM, chester said:

So 4 new European (EFL) teams join the NFL. Change schedule to 18 games.

EFL teams play a home/away within their division like normal.

6 rotating NFL teams are designated the traveling teams each year. 3 would go for 4 weeks in a row and play each EFL team, the other 3 NFL teams would come a different month.

All 4 EFL teams would come to America twice for 3 weeks in a row to play any 6 different non rotating teams.

Sounds like a good start, now fit those 4 new teams into the current divisional/conference structure somehow. Or a new division into the existing conferences. How about the playoffs? 

There are literally hundreds of issues and details that would need to be worked out. Imagine a team in Europe trading for some guy mid-season, is he ready to go to Europe and live there, have a passport etc. 

It could happen someday, if there is enough $$$ coming in and somebody can work out the details, get the NFLPLA on board (CBA is bound to need some tweaks, certainly if you're adding games to the season).