[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL to play in Germany

Big John

I think it'll involve the Cowboys. I mean, eventually, they'll be Europe's team, followed by the world's!  And if we keep polluting the atmosphere like we are, God will be able to look down through the holes in the ozone layer to see his team play anywhere they go!

Ahh yes, the international games are back, I wondered how long their absence would last, the pandemic was good for one thing at least.

I suspect the 17th game which results in 9 home games for half the teams will allow them even more flexibility and they already have systems where teams that host the super bowl or open a new venue need to be put into the pool of "teams to host an international game".  Eventually it SHOULD require every team to do that, including DAL, GB, PIT, NE etc. 

I doubt it will grow too much and I think the potential of a team based in Europe is extremely low, just too many logistical issues. Plus do we have expansion to get there, or relocate a team from the US. Honestly 2 teams would work better, allowing a US based team to go to Europe for 2 weeks and play them both. 

I'm strongly opposed to it but know that there's $$ to be made and the NFL won't pass it up. 

5 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

I believe the long term vision includes permanent teams in Europe. Maybe not by 2030, but for sure by 2040.

Along with North American expansion, I can see 40+ teams.

Agreed, gonna become common place to have weekly international games. Traveling to them will suck.

7 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

I believe the long term vision includes permanent teams in Europe. Maybe not by 2030, but for sure by 2040.

Maybe I'll be gone by then, or a vegetable that doesn't care. Of course the Dusseldorf Browns would probably win the Super Bowl then. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

Imagine that? You're drafted by Germany and whisked off to a foreign land where you don't speak the language or know the culture. I'm sure players would love it. 

18 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Imagine that? You're drafted by Germany and whisked off to a foreign land where you don't speak the language or know the culture. I'm sure players would love it. 

Remember when players didn't want to go somewhere like Green Bay. Then Reggie White signed there, and things changed. 

But yeah, I agree I don't see a large number of NFL players being thrilled with moving to Europe for months, and living in a totally different culture. Heck some of them can't even get along in American culture. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Big John said:

The Bucs are apparently the home team in Munich this year.

NFC is the conference getting the extra (9th) home game in 2022.  I think we'll see a trend where most playing a game outside the US will have that extra home game. Exception may be the Jags who had already planned to give up a home game regularly before season expansion.