[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Browns win on big kick by Cade York

stevegrab

I know this game wasn't shown in many markets, and it had its ugly spots as the Browns built a nice 20-7 lead, then watched Baker go off with a couple nice TDs (the long Robbie Anderson pass had some blown coverage). But what an exciting ending, and breaking that horrible season opener losing streak.

I thought we were doomed when CAR kicked a FG to go up by one with about a minute left. I had heard during training camp that the new kicker Cade York was trying FG from 60-70 yards and making a good number. Still 58 yards, in a pressure situation on the road in a big game, and he nailed it, announcers said it was probably good from close to 70. We used to have kickers were I was worried about FGs over 40 yards.

That's the Browns first opening game win in 18 years, and only their 2nd (to go with 21 losses and a tie) since returning to the NFL in 1999.

It will be important to have a good kicker, defense and running game to get thru this stretch with Brissett starting. 

https://www.news5cleveland.com/sports/browns/cade-york-gives-browns-first-season-opener-win-in-18-years-with-victory-over-baker-mayfield-led-panthers

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/09/baker-mayfield-got-dangerous-but-cade-york-booms-58-yarder-gamewinning-field-for-a-26-24-browns-victory-over-the-panthers.html

A bunch of games were wild at the end, this one included.

York was apparently all over the place in pregame warmups, so for him to hit a 58-yarder for the win was quite impressive, especially for a rookie in his first NFL game.

I know... kicker talk... but with how Brissett operates in the red zone, York may see a lot of opportunities.  Could be this year's McPherson.

Red Zone had a 10 minute stretch where the Bengals, then Steelers, then Colts, then Bengals...all missed kicks. I think there was another one in there...the Titans.

Very weird.

York easily makes that kick from 70, maybe a bit more as it was up there. Like a perfect draw out of the tee box.

His plant foot even slipped a little, slow mo video of the kick.  The expression on Baker's face afterward was priceless, like WTF we never had a kicker like that while I was there. 

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/can-t-miss-play-cade-york-s-booming-58-yard-game-winning-fg-starts-career-with-a