[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

IDP Advice - Post your Queries Here!

darin3

Hey everyone. I think it's awesome what Hugh 0ne provides to the Huddlers each Wednesday. It's like a website within a website. Using the Huddle's staff projections in conjunction with his thoughts really helps us all out.

In the same vain, I'd like to offer my advice on INDIVIDUAL DEFENSIVE PLAYERS. I have been in IDP leagues for over 5 years and I'd like to think I'm pretty good at evaluating matchups and offering advice on the best DL guys, LBs and DBs to start in a given week. Some are obvious, of course (Ray Lewis, duh), but in some cases, it's really matchup-based.

Not sure how many of you are in IDP leagues, but I just wanted to start a thread where they're discussed.

Again, not trying to steal Hugh's thunder; he's obviously quite talented and will continue to make great suggestions. As a result, please don't post WDIS questions that aren't related to IDPs. Thanks! Fire away...

I just picked up Mathis to cover Urlacher's injury, now I'm rethinking that ... Mathis vs Chicago this weekend or go back and get Feeney vs Chicago instead? We get 3 pts for sacks, 2 for ints, 2 for forcing or recovering fumbles 0.5 per tackle, and 6pts for a td. Thoughts on which Indy player to go vs Chi who gives up big sack #s ...

Thanks in advance...

Would u start Brooks @ DEN or SF @ Griese

Next I have Horn, Harrison, Burleson and Kennison....I was thinking of benching Horn and playing Burleson and Kennison. Who would be your top 3 of those 4?

Also Longwell @ HOU or Kaeding @ OAK

I just picked up Mathis to cover Urlacher's injury, now I'm rethinking that ... Mathis vs Chicago this weekend or go back and get Feeney vs Chicago instead?  We get 3 pts for sacks, 2 for ints, 2 for forcing or recovering fumbles 0.5 per tackle, and 6pts for a td.  Thoughts on which Indy player to go vs Chi who gives up big sack #s ...

560777[/snapback]

I had Freeney at the beginning of the season and he was just KILLIN' me. He is a pure stud, and opposing O-Line coaches/players know this, and as such, faces more double teams. So of course I dropped him and now he's en fuego. Fortunately, I still have Abraham and Schoebel at DL so I'm alright. :D

Since you seem pretty intent on selecting a Colt this week - and by good reason... they'll be all over Krenzel this Sunday - I'll just comment on Mathis vs. Freeney.

Mathis: Before last week's 3-forced fumble, 3-sack explosion against Houston, his only real big week was Week 5, against Oakland. So this guy obviously comes up big when the entire defense comes up big. And their D could very well come up big against the rookie Krenzel.

Freeney: Somehow, he managed 0 sacks against Houston, probably due to all the double-teams. He was all over C-Pepp the week before, though.

Figure that the Colt D will be fired up again and while they might not destroy the Bears O-line the way they did the Houston O-line, you gotta figure that they'll get to Krenzel a bunch. Expect more double teams to be thrown at Freeney, and despite his incredible athletic ability, he may be limited in terms of sacks and tackles. I'd give Mathis a shot, coming off a monster game... and he will benefit from Freeney being double-teamed on the other end.

Thanks in advance...

Would u start Brooks @ DEN or SF @ Griese

Next I have Horn, Harrison, Burleson and Kennison....I was thinking of benching Horn and playing Burleson and Kennison. Who would be your top 3 of those 4?

Also Longwell @ HOU or Kaeding @ OAK

560783[/snapback]

Um, last I checked all those guys played on the offensive side.

I have :

K. Bulluck (Ten - DL)

P. Kerney (Atl - DL)

A. Winfield (Min - DB)

R. Barber (TB - DB)

J. Farrior (Pit - DL)

Do. Edwards (SD-DL)

How do you like these guys? It is nice that you are offering your advice. I had alot of questions a couple of weeks ago, but I think my D looks pretty solid now.

I have :

K. Bulluck (Ten - DL)

P. Kerney (Atl - DL)

A. Winfield (Min - DB)

R. Barber (TB - DB)

J. Farrior (Pit - DL)

Do. Edwards (SD-DL)

How do you like these guys? It is nice that you are offering your advice. I had alot of questions a couple of weeks ago, but I think my D looks pretty solid now.

565135[/snapback]

Bulluck: This guy is an animal. With the secondary giving up the booty, and the Titan front four allowing opposing RBs through the line, Bulluck is going to continue being busy. On top of the massive tackle numbers, he's logged three straight games with a sack. This week he'll look to continue his good play against JAX; Garrard in his second start... the Titans now have some good, current game film on him...

Kerney: Right off the bat, you gotta figure he's a must-start based on this week's opponent. He had 7 solo tackles last week, which is next to impossible for a normal defensive end. I figure he'll have 4-5 tackles this week, but will get to Eli Manning at least once.

Winfield: This guy has been ridiculous the past 2 weeks. Gotta figure Winfield will cover Roy Williams this Sunday, and the Lions will be throwing a ton in order to keep up with the Viking offense. That means Winfield will be busy, again. Figure he'll get a handful of tackles and could defend a few passes... perhaps pick one off as well.

Barber: He had a pretty quiet game last week, but then again, they were playing the Falcons... and Vick & Co. don't really throw much, and chasing down Vick isn't the easiest thing to do. Figure he'll improve on his tackle totals this week, going against the Niners. The Niners air it out, so figure Barber will be busy defending passes in coverage against Eric Johnson.

Farrior: Another monster. He won't get huge tackle numbers based on the overall team speed on the Steelers. But he's liable to break out at any given time. Against the Bungles, he's a great start. He only had 5 tackles (3 solo, 2 assisted) against Cincy in Week 4, so he'll look to improve on that.

Edwards: He's actually been somewhat quiet this season (not many fumbes forced/recovered... no sacks). He's coming off a bye and will be well rested and the Bolts will again contain the Raiders. He had 10 tackles (7/3) against the Raiders on Halloween. Figure he'll get about the same this week.

Can you start ALL those guys? Or do you need a WDIS analysis too? Do you not have to start DL guys? Good luck.

You have chosen to ignore Monsters Of The Midway. View this post · Squeeze me a little harder Monsters Of The Midway

Apparently Mr. Monster of the Midway forgets his inane comments about Smirnoff and my lack of football knowledge. His a$$ was promptly ignored after that. So, hope he didn't give you bad advice. Also, no one's asking for your opinion here, buddy. Start your own thread if you want.

Edited by darin3

Thanks alot for the break down. Yeah I start all those guys. We have 2 overall Def spots, 2 DL spots, and 2 DB spots. DL consists of DL and LB in our league. Thanks again.

565160[/snapback]

Nice.... good IDP team then.

We start 2 DL, 3 LB and 2 DB. Really brings a new element to fantasy football... and watching games!

What about Bob Sanders? Is he a safe play this week? I think Doss may be back, and if he is, he may play SS which means that Sanders may be moved to FS. I have Gibril Wilson as well, but I think he's hurting this week (shoulder). So, I need to play either Sanders or Doss.

.6 solo/.3 assist/2 pts. for ints and fumble recoveries/ .8 per sack

What about Bob Sanders?  Is he a safe play this week?  I think Doss may be back, and if he is, he may play SS which means that Sanders may be moved to FS.  I have Gibril Wilson as well, but I think he's hurting this week (shoulder).  So, I need to play either Sanders or Doss.

.6 solo/.3 assist/2 pts. for ints and fumble recoveries/ .8 per sack

565171[/snapback]

Well Mike Doss practiced on Friday and should play. But his injury (groin) could potentially limit him and/or knock him out of the game. I think I might just go with the healthier Indy option.

Sanders remains a good option, no matter where he starts. In the game that both Doss and Sanders started, Sanders still had a pretty solid outing (Week 8 - 8 solos tackles, 1 assisted) despite Doss goin' nuts (9/1, a pick and 2 FF).

Wilson missed 2 practices this week (no updates from Friday) and even if he was healthy, isn't really a great option this week. The Falcons, in their West Coast scheme, rely on shorter passes and really limit a DB's ability to defend passes and pick off the quarterback.

So yeah, go with one of your Indy guys; I say Sanders.

Sanders remains a good option, no matter where he starts.  In the game that both Doss and Sanders started, Sanders still had a pretty solid outing (Week 8 - 8 solos tackles, 1 assisted) despite Doss goin' nuts (9/1, a pick and 2 FF).

Thanks for the reply. Sanders actually relieved Doss in the second half of this game and posted 9/1 in this game.

Sanders is a stud in the making, but my only concern is whether or not he can post the same numbers at FS if Doss plays SS. In other words, who is the better play if they both get the start? Since Doss is still hurting, Sanders may be the better option anyway. Just wondering if you had any further info. Thanks again.

BTW, I like the IDP posts!

Thanks for the reply.  Sanders actually relieved Doss in the second half of this game and posted 9/1 in this game.

Sanders is a stud in the making, but my only concern is whether or not he can post the same numbers at FS if Doss plays SS.  In other words, who is the better play if they both get the start?  Since Doss is still hurting, Sanders may be the better option anyway.  Just wondering if you had any further info.  Thanks again.

BTW, I like the IDP posts!

565194[/snapback]

I'm guessing they both post pretty solid numbers. Chicago is horrible and will need to throw to keep up. If Doss remains healthy through the game, he might put up slightly better numbers, but figure that when/if the Colts go up big, they will pull him to make sure he doesn't excaserbate the injury.