[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

IDP Advice - Post your Queries Here!

darin3

Looks like you're dying for some questions. Ok, I am in a league with simple IDP requirements (1 DB, 1 D - anywhere). The league charges transaction fees, so I have avoided rotating defensive players regularly thus far. Keeping this in mind, who are some sleepers to scour the waivers for that might be able to play solid week in and out.

My current guys:

DB - Archuleta

D - C Grant

Scoring:

Solo - 0.5

Sack - 3

Int - 2

Fumble - 2

Pass Def - 1

Outside of the fluky play against Miami, Archuleta has given me about 6 tackles a game. Nothing more, nothing less. Do I happily accept the 3 pts a week, or move onto a higher upside player.

Some options:

Sheppard, Townsend, Lucas, Azumah, McQuarters, Polamalu, Trufant, etc..

Grant was a sack machine earlier this season against the Rams, Cards, and Bucs, but has been quiet since. Of course, that whole Saints D is relatively lifeless.

Options:

Foley, Sharper, Farrior, Mathis, Fletcher, Peppers, Freeney

I've read some of your above analysis. Very impressive. Next year I might expand our IDP usage to add another dimension to our league.

Thanks alot for the break down. Yeah I start all those guys. We have 2 overall Def spots, 2 DL spots, and 2 DB spots. DL consists of DL and LB in our league. Thanks again.

Not to take away from your advice thread, but if your DL and LB are combined as one group (DL). Maybe lookat getting all LB as the good LBs get 90+ tackles compared to the good DLs might get between 45-65 tackles.

Edited by boat_hacked

Looks like you're dying for some questions. Ok, I am in a league with simple IDP requirements (1 DB, 1 D - anywhere).  The league charges transaction fees, so I have avoided rotating defensive players regularly thus far.  Keeping this in mind, who are some sleepers to scour the waivers for that might be able to play solid week in and out.

My current guys:

DB - Archuleta

D - C Grant

Scoring:

Solo - 0.5

Sack - 3

Int - 2

Fumble - 2

Pass Def - 1

Outside of the fluky play against Miami, Archuleta has given me about 6 tackles a game. Nothing more, nothing less. Do I happily accept the 3 pts a week, or move onto a higher upside player.

Some options:

Sheppard, Townsend, Lucas, Azumah, McQuarters, Polamalu, Trufant, etc..

Grant  was a sack machine earlier this season against the Rams, Cards, and Bucs, but has been quiet since. Of course, that whole Saints D is relatively lifeless.

Options:

Foley, Sharper, Farrior, Mathis, Fletcher, Peppers, Freeney

I've read some of your above analysis. Very impressive. Next year I might expand our IDP usage to add another dimension to our league.

565208[/snapback]

Thanks for your kind words; I might just make this a weekly posting. Keeps me on top of my own team w/ IDPs. They can win or lose it for you any given week.

Depending on how much the transaction fee is, you might want to make a switch or two.

Sheppard - Not this week. He hasn't had a big game in a month. Figure the WAS/PHI game is a ball-control game. Not much goin' on for CBs.

Townsend/Polamalu - Decent matchup against the Bungles, but Polumalu hasn't had a double-digit tackle game since Week 2 and Townsend hasn't had one all season.

Lucas/Trufant - Lucas has been toooooo quiet the past month to consider, and Trufant's only been slightly better. How much will Feely really be able to throw, considering he'll be on his back half the day?

Azumah/McQuarters - I actually picked up Azumah for this week. Great matchup against the Colts; who throws more than the Colts? He had 8 solos and 1 assisted tackle and a pass defended last week against another pass-happy team. The week previous, he had a monster game: 4 tackles, a sack AND a pick. McQuarters is an alright choice, but Azumah gets the nod based on his 2 good games in a row. Plus Azumah returns punts... do you get points for that?

So, bottom line: you might consider picking up Azumah, as the Chicago D has improved dramatically over the past few weeks, and he has a fabulous matchup. Archuleta's steady and could potentially have a decent game, though.

Yeah, you gotta get rid of Grant. He hasn't done anything sack-wise in over a month.

Mathis - Which one?

Farrior - Too much speed on that Steeler D to really predict who'll get the big numbers.

Freeney - Two words: double team. Consider Mathis (was that the one you're thinking of?) on the other end.

Peppers - He's had 2 2-sack games in a row. Consistently gives you around 4 tackles. Good matchup this week against the Cards.

Fletcher - He's put up some sick tackle totals this season. But since you get the bulk of your points via sacks and INTs, I'd look elsewhere.

Sharper - Assuming you mean Jamie since we're not talkin DBs. Anyways, see discussion on Fletcher, above.

I think you might go ahead and try out Peppers this weekend. Has a favorable matchup and will get you some tackles and will most likely continue his sack streak.

Good luck. :D

Not to take away from your advice thread, but if your DL and LB are combined as one group (DL). Maybe lookat getting all LB as the good LBs get 90+ tackles compared to the good DLs might get between 45-65 tackles.

565210[/snapback]

That's mainly true. Sort of like the RB vs. WR discussion when talking about a flex spot. In most cases, you start the RB. Guaranteed touches. Same thing with the LB vs. DL argument. LBs are nearly guaranteed "touches" (tackles, for the most part). But in some cases, you can get one of those athletic DL guys (Freeney, Carter, Abraham) that move around and actually line up in LB sets. In some cases, sacks are big points. So a guy that can log 5-8 tackles while getting a sack or so might be a better choice than a LB that gets you just tackles and nothing else. Point taken, though! :D

Who is the better play this week at DL... Grant Wistrom (vs. Miami) or Greg Ellis (vs. Baltimore).  Scoring: .6 solo, .3 assist, sacks .8

565241[/snapback]

Ellis had a pretty solid game against Philly on MNF. Wistrom is due back in the lineup and faces one of the worst teams in the NFL.

I think you look at it two ways: the riskier pick, but with higher potential rewards, would be Wistrom. Ellis is the safer pick.

Dallas is facing a pretty crappy D too, so I might play the safe pick and say Ellis. Wait until Wistrom's proven he's capable of big numbers before sending him out there.

Here you go with a tough one..

Brett Favre vs Houston

or

Drew Brees vs Oakland

Who would you start?

Thanks..

565430[/snapback]

I am Da IDP Guy, but since it's so late in the game...

Favre is your safe bet. 250 and 2, without a doubt.

Want to roll the dice a bit? Brees could easily throw for more than 250 and 3+ TDs.

I'd go with Brees, personally.

Anyone got any last-minute IDP questions?

567413[/snapback]

Yep! You helped earlier give me some insight on Ron Mathis who might have good sacks vs Chicago while Freeney gets double teamed -- but now Mathis has a "probable" note with his groin which is making me nervous (I have LT, so I'm a bit sensitive to groins right now :D )...

Two others have caught my eye on the wire -- are either better starts than Mathis or do I stick with Mathis looking for sackasarios vs Chicago?

Leonard Little at Buffalo

Keith Bulluck at Jacksonville

We get:

0.5 pts per tackle;

3pts for sack;

2pts for int, fum forced, fum recovered;

1pt per pass defensed;

6pts per td ...

FWIW, I give a big :D to this thread. Great idea, and good insight.

The reason I started my thread a few years ago was to give my opinion on matchups or trades by adding another POV. I generally like to add comments and numbers and thoughts and stats to add some depth to the answer. Just picking a name is an easy way out and boring I like the fact that Darin is doing the same here with his defensive commentary.

Being in an IDP league myself, and often having matchup questions, I'll be looking for this thread next week.

Just a quikc heads up, if this thing take off like mine did, where I usually get upwards of 100 inquiries, be prepared to spend a lot of time answering questions. In othre words, only do it if you mean it. :D

FWIW, I give a big :D to this thread. Great idea, and good insight.

The reason I started my thread a few years ago was to give my opinion on matchups or trades by adding another POV. I generally like to add comments and numbers and thoughts and stats to add some depth to the answer. Just picking a name is an easy way out and boring I like the fact that Darin is doing the same here with his defensive commentary.

Being in an IDP league myself, and often having matchup questions, I'll be looking for this thread next week.

Just a quikc heads up, if this thing take off like mine did, where I usually get upwards of 100 inquiries, be prepared to spend a lot of time answering questions. In othre words, only do it if you mean it. B)

569859[/snapback]

Thanks for the vote o' confidence, Hugh. As long as I don't get 100 "Codie Posts", I should be fine. :D

P.S. Did I just coin a new term?

Codie Post: noun, a post that somehow gets upwards of 100 reads and 20+ replies despite it being an attempt to talk sh*t, whining about the advice received earlier on the board and/or claiming fantasy football superiority. (see "WDIS post from Codie which no one will ever answer again").

Edited by darin3

Thanks for the vote o' confidence, Hugh.  As long as I don't get 100 "Codie Posts", I should be fine.  :D

P.S.  Did I just coin a new term?

Codie Postnoun, a post that somehow gets upwards of 100 reads and 20+ replies despite it being an attempt to talk sh*t, whining about the advice received earlier on the board and/or claiming fantasy football superiority. (see "WDIS post from Codie which no one will ever answer again").

570012[/snapback]

Should have provided a link for clarification: http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=75258

:D

OK so let's see how Dr. IDP did... my picks in bold...

Mathis (Ind) vs. Freeney (Ind): Mathis with 3 solos, a sack and a forced fumble. Freeney with 1 solo tackle and 1 sack. Advantage, Mathis.

Sanders (Ind) vs. Doss (Ind): Sanders had 2 solos, an assist and a pass defended. Doss only had 1 tackle, and got a late, flukey INT. Sanders probably scored more than Doss unless you get a ridiculous amount for INTs.

Azumah (Chi) vs. Archuleta (STL): Azumah totaled 4 solo tackles, an assist, and defended a pass. Archuleta got 6 solos and 1 assist. Pretty close there, depending on how many points you get for a pass defended. Advantage Archuleta; though I did note he'd be "steady".

Peppers (Car) suggestion: Boo-ya of the week. 4 solos, a pair of sacks, a forced fumble and a pass defended.

Ellis (Dal) vs. Wistrom (Sea): Ellis logged 4 solos and defended 2 passes. Wistrom had 4 solos and 2 assists. Slight advantage to Ellis.

Bulluck (Ten) vs. Little (STL) vs. Mathis (Ind): Well Mathis was pretty studly (see above) and Little was pretty "big" with a solo, an assist, a sack and a pass defended. But Bulluck was just ill; 7 solos and 3 passes defended.

Well, with a standard scoring system, it appears as if I was 4 for 5 and put out a good suggestion in Peppers. Not bad for my first week doing this, if I do say so myself. As long as I don't get any Codie Posts, I'll try this out again tomorrow (due to short week). :D

Edited by darin3

OK so let's see how Dr. IDP did... my picks in bold...

Mathis (Ind) vs. Freeney (Ind):  Mathis with 3 solos, a sack and a forced fumble.  Freeney with 1 solo tackle and 1 sack.  Advantage, Mathis.

Sanders (Ind) vs. Doss (Ind):  Sanders had 2 solos, an assist and a pass defended.  Doss only had 1 tackle, and got a late, flukey INT.  Sanders probably scored more than Doss unless you get a ridiculous amount for INTs.

Azumah (Chi) vs. Archuleta (STL):  Azumah totaled 4 solo tackles, an assist, and defended a pass.  Archuleta got 6 solos and 1 assist.  Pretty close there, depending on how many points you get for a pass defended.  Advantage Archuleta; though I did note he'd be "steady".

Peppers (Car) suggestion:  Boo-ya of the week.  4 solos, a pair of sacks, a forced fumble and a pass defended. 

Ellis (Dal) vs. Wistrom (Sea):  Ellis logged 4 solos and defended 2 passes.  Wistrom had 4 solos and 2 assists.  Slight advantage to Ellis.

Bulluck (Ten) vs. Little (STL) vs. Mathis (Ind):  Well Mathis was pretty studly (see above) and Little was pretty "big" with a solo, an assist, a sack and a pass defended.  But Bulluck was just ill;  7 solos and 3 passes defended.

Well, with a standard scoring system, it appears as if I was 4 for 5 and put out a good suggestion in Peppers.  Not bad for my first week doing this, if I do say so myself.  As long as I don't get any Codie Posts, I'll try this out again tomorrow (due to short week).  :D

570271[/snapback]

Excellent work, most appreciated. I ended up going with Mathis from our first conversation and thanks to our scoring system, that worked good. If you've got the time and inclination, keep dishing the advice. Nice work. Thanks again.

Thanks again for the advice or insight I should say from last week. My IDP team did great on Sunday. What do you think of W. Witherspoon, LB on Car. He had 6 solo, 2 asst, 1 sack, 1 int, 1 forced fumble in week 10, and this week he posted 12 solo, 1 asst, and 1 sack. Looks like he is benifitting from Morgan being out. Would you drop DL Kerney from ATL for Witherspoon. I am thinking it would be well worth it. Thanks.

Thanks again for the advice or insight I should say from last week. My IDP team did great on Sunday. What do you think of W. Witherspoon, LB on Car. He had 6 solo, 2 asst, 1 sack, 1 int, 1 forced fumble in week 10, and this week he posted 12 solo, 1 asst, and 1 sack. Looks like he is benifitting from Morgan being out. Would you drop DL Kerney from ATL for Witherspoon. I am thinking it would be well worth it. Thanks.

570388[/snapback]

Well that's 2 straight weeks of IDP gold from Witherspoon. If he's available in your league and you need a LB, he's a great choice.

Kerney's a DL and Witherspoon's a LB... so should I assume you can start IDP's regardless of their position? Kerney's been somewhat quiet since the first few weeks of the season. He's droppable.

Witherspoon gets Tampa at home (good matchup - Griese's not too mobile and Witherspoon will be busy defending a good TE and spying on Pittman) and then New Orleans (decent matchup) and then St. Louis (good matchup - Bulger's sackable and throws a ton of INTs). For the standard league's playoff weeks, he gets Atlanta (not that great of a matchup - although he'll be spying Vick all game) and then Tampa and New Orleans again.

You're right, with Morgan out, he's been the defensive stopper. Good pickup.