[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is Priest Holmes the Terminator?

Shotgun Messiahs

From ESPN

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Despite a knee injury that ended his season, Priest Holmes says he is "definitely 100 percent" planning to be back for 2005.

"In terms of next year, I'm excited because of the fact that it gives me an opportunity to heal up and start preparing for the 2005 season," Kansas City's star running back said Friday, a day after the Chiefs put him on injured reserve.

Priest Holmes

Running Back

Kansas City Chiefs

2004 SEASON STATISTICS

Rush Yds TD Rec Yds TD

196 892 14 19 187 1

"There are a lot of things we need to do. We left a lot of things on the table this year," Holmes said. "We're still playing, we're still in it in terms of winning some games and making sure we end the season the right way. But the 2005 season is going to be exciting because we know that there's a valuable lesson that we learned this year -- and that is that when you start having guys go down, it makes it really difficult to win ballgames.''

Holmes, 31, was leading the NFL in rushing and scoring when he strained ligaments in his right knee at Tampa Bay on Nov. 7.

At first he thought he would be able to get back this year. But healing was slow, and since the Chiefs (4-8) are out of the playoff hunt, it was decided to shut him down for the rest of the season.

"The injury just gave me an opportunity to rest up and to get the body 100 percent," he said.

This is the third time injury has cut a season short for Holmes, who set an NFL record in 2003 with 27 touchdowns.

A knee injury his senior year in college forced him to come into the NFL as an undrafted free agent. He underwent hip surgery following the 2002 season and spoke of retirement after his big year in 2003.

But Friday, Holmes said his love for the game had not changed.

"The football has never left me. It never will, and I don't think there's any way that it could," he said. "It's a gift and something that I can't even control. I'd have to say that it's not necessarily something you have to train for ... it's just a god-given talent."

Priest will be back 2005 better than ever...once he understood his father was proud of him and that watching him every sunday was something he looked forward to and it helps the soldiers over in Iraq, Priest 's ideas of retirement was over. He'll be back for a vengence next year...He would be my top running back pick...if I get the chance.

Love ya Priest :D

But where does that put him in the draft? Priest out last year, Priest out again. It's a broken record.

He's a great runner, posts monstor points, when he plays. But damm, every year? I would consider passing on him in the first round next year. In this game you need a stud RB (which he is) to build your team around. If he's always gone for the year before the playoffs, what good is he?

So how about it? Where do you draft him next year?

Injury History...

Not around to take teams to their championship 2 out of the last 3 years.

Anyone that drafts him #1 is taking a hugh gamble.  I'll take Tomlinson every time.

604944[/snapback]

Agreed. I think that Priest will put up pretty good fantasy numbers next season (maybe comparable to what Dom Davis is doing this year), but his 1,500+ rushing yd and 20+ TD seasons are over. After next season (when he'll be 33), I expect a big drop-off.

I took Priest #1 in my local, then built an RB stack in case he got hurt, which he did. If I get #1 next year (we redraw each year), I will probably lean to Shaun Alexander, but it depends on what happens in the off-season.

Edited by Ursa Majoris