[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LT! The clear #1 for 2004

McBoog

The big three. You remember them, the conjecture, argument, projections. It was LT, Holmes and Green. Yes, there are others that homers and a few fringe voices claimed as the best 2004 #1 Fantasy overall, but the vast majority had these three guys.

Now, looking back on the season, where we stand today and what these players did and can do for the season, which one of these guys was worthy?

I have contended that, from the “git go”, LT was the clear #1 overall FF player this year. The basis for this was durability, consistency in point scoring and opportunity to play and be a focal point of the team.

Holmes, as many of us believed would happen, went down with injury. The upside was unbelievable, the downside devastating. The Holmes owner (and Chief Homer) in my league, a contender based solely on Holmes point production, vanished from the mix within two weeks. That #1, is so important when your next pick is 22 players later. I do not hope for players to get injured, but as said before, this is NOT a surprise. Sure the points were sweet, but 5 goose eggs in a row is bad, very bad.

And Ahman Green? Where did this guy go? Invisible the last 4 weeks. Another player who has been hampered by booboos, his production has been wildly inconsistent this year, even when healthy! It is not like he is in an offense that shouldn’t help him have big numbers. He is behind Clit Portis for God’s sake, and Portis has coughed up a giant hairball himself. Weeks 4 and 5 he got 9 and 2 points respectively.

LT. He got dinged this year too. So, with a pulled groin, he curled up and went away too! Not!?!? Dang straight not! In our pretty standard scoring league, he currently is at #3 (still in that magic number of the top three that we always seem to focus on).

Alexander, Shaun SEA RB 239 34 4 25 B 21 16 6 32 28 16 15 3 21 18

Barber, Tiki NYG RB 233 26 6 21 25 25 B 23 23 25 22 13 11 3 10

Tomlinson, Ladainian SDC RB 229 17 22 8 22 19 14 11 13 13 B 23 22 25 20

As you can see, LT, despite being hampered by the groin, has only put up ONE sub-10 point game (week 3 in Denver, BEFORE the injury), has scored a TD in 10 straight games and is coming on strong at the end of the season. There are only ten points difference between LT and Alexander (less than 1 point per game average).

Personally, I would rather sacrifice a point here or there and get that weekly consistency out of my number one. This gives me steady production to build a team around. I also still think that there is a good chance that LT could pass both these guys (at least Tiki now that Ellie is starting in NY) before the end of the year.

LT has not gotten as many looks in the passing game that he did last year, but that is due to the emergence of Gates running many of the similar type routes that LT did last year. Also, I think the Chargers have “babied” LT a little, trying to take some of the load off of LT's groin and on the shoulders of some of the others who have stepped up to the challenge.

What is scary, is this. LT IS NOT THE PLAYER HE CAN BE. As an LT owner, and a Charger fan, I have watched him for four years. He is getting better, but he is still hurting. He is missing that last gear that caused the separation we got used to last year. With it, he would have been close to 2000 yards IMO. Some of the seams he used to make 30 yard gains out of, are now 7-15 yarders. He is just NOT quite right yet, but a little better every week. He still is at 14 TDs and counting!

I thought that it was “just me”. Heck, he rolled up 130 and some receiving yards and a TD. "He’s fine!", "He’s back!" I keep hearing. Not yet! Then I came across

THIS ARTICLE

this morning and was relieved to find that I was not the only one with this feeling.

Rest is the only thing that makes the groin heal. He will be, IMO, the clear #1 player again next year, at least at RB (I can see an argument for the big three QBs as well). He is young (25) , plays hurt (well), and is on a team that will only continue to get better and feature the running game.

If you have him and you are in the playoffs, you will enjoy seeing him rack points up for you against the Browns and the Colts the next two weeks. :D

Enjoy your trophy (and the cash :D )

I dunno. Alexander is a fine RB and it's possible he will have better coaching and playcalling next year, or he may even be elsewhere. It's a long way from here to August drafts.

Still, if you were going to force me to take LT2, I wouldn't be upset.

I dunno.  Alexander is a fine RB and it's possible he will have better coaching and playcalling next year, or he may even be elsewhere.  It's a long way from here to August drafts.

Still, if you were going to force me to take LT2, I wouldn't be upset.

608918[/snapback]

Sorry, but if you were a Priest owner who wisely handcuffed Blaylock and L Johnson, I think you'd be in better shape than an LT owner. Those who do not subscribe to handcuff theory deserver their misery.

Sorry, but if you were a Priest owner who wisely handcuffed Blaylock and L Johnson, I think you'd be in better shape than an LT owner.  Those who do not subscribe to handcuff theory deserver their misery.

608932[/snapback]

Wich one of the two do you start? Let me know how that works!

at one point during the offseason, I said LT is clearly the #1 with Holmes' injury history and him racking up there in age....I think the 2 go hand in hand....and compliment eachother in hindering his fantasy value, especially when it counts most...PLAYOFF TIME

but then I retracted, saying..."well, when he's healthy...he's #1 and you can't pass up on that!"

also...I think Alexander won't be what he's been next year as he just strikes me as soft and is known for hitting the hole soft....and keep your filthy jokes in the bedroom..

Tiki won't be the same either IMO....

however, LT2 is the new #1 without argument...

in my league...the top 20 in scoring overall are as followed....and this looks messy for next season, BIG TIME...

1. manning

2. culpepper

3. mcnabb

4. barber

5. westbrook

6. edge

7. t green

8. bulger

9. tomlinson

10. owens

11. plummer

12. alexander

13. cumar

14. brees

15. favre

16. brooks

17. d davis

18. horn

19. brady

20. vick

I think next year...will look nothing like this and will not go by this at all....period....I'll still put a green in my top 10...who is now ranked 35th in my league :bigshock:

does pittman or d davis warrant a top 10/15 pick?...what about droughns if he can fend off bell?...or are they handcuff worthy??...and do you draft a viking back early and trade him by week 6???....decisions decisions...

at one point during the offseason, I said LT is clearly the #1 with Holmes' injury history and him racking up there in age....I think the 2 go hand in hand....and compliment eachother in hindering his fantasy value, especially when it counts most...PLAYOFF TIME

but then I retracted, saying..."well, when he's healthy...he's #1 and you can't pass up on that!"

also...I think Alexander won't be what he's been next year as he just strikes me as soft and is known for hitting the hole soft....and keep your filthy jokes in the bedroom..

Tiki won't be the same either IMO....

however, LT2 is the new #1 without argument...

in my league...the top 20 in scoring overall are as followed....and this looks messy for next season, BIG TIME...

1. manning

2. culpepper

3. mcnabb

4. barber

5. westbrook

6. edge

7. t green

8. bulger

9. tomlinson

10. owens

11. plummer

12. alexander

13. cumar

14. brees

15. favre

16. brooks

17. d davis

18. horn

19. brady

20. vick

I think next year...will look nothing like this and will not go by this at all....period....I'll still put a green in my top 10...who is now ranked 35th in my league :bigshock:

does pittman or d davis warrant a top 10/15 pick?...what about droughns if he can fend off bell?...or are they handcuff worthy??...and do you draft a viking back early and trade him by week 6???....decisions decisions...

609810[/snapback]

What about the Edge being #1.............

Is it based on total points for the year? Here's how my league broke down:

1) Manning 237.98

2) CPepp 213.53

3) Alexander 203.65

4) McNabb 202.02

5) LT 201.66

The next closest is CMartin surprisingly... but he's a good 20 points away from these top five.

(I'd still take an RB in the first - always have and always will)

I think Edge CAN be #2....but I don't think he can cash in at that value...and I don't feel that S Alexander can either...

I'd rather just have a late, 1st round pick....maybe get A Green around 5 or 6....and then see where I'd go from there...the offseason and FA will determine some of my decisions..