[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So the Pats are not as good as last year?

masslefty33

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:D   Wow.  I don't agree with that.

First, the AFC Central was not a weak division.  They had the Steelers at 15-1, The Ravens at 9-7, and the Bengals at 8-8.  The only pushover team in the division is Cle...

650512[/snapback]

By that same rationale, the AFC West was a great division, because it had 2 play-off teams. The NFC Central had two play-off teams. And the Colts played both of those divisions. And if you think the Rams and Seahawks are good teams, you are nuts. Jacksonville was a better team than Denver. If the Colts hadn't given away the season-ender, J-ville would have been the 6 seed. Patriots schedule was weaker than the Colts percentage-wise. And PLEASE do not try and talk up wins over Cincinnati and Arizona.

Edited by CaptainHook

By that same rationale, the AFC West was a great division, because it had 2 play-off teams.  The NFC Central had two play-off teams.  And the Colts played both of those divisions.  And if you think the Rams and Seahawks are good teams, you are nuts.  Jacksonville was a better team than Denver.  If the Colts hadn't given away the season-ender, J-ville would have been the 6 seed.  Patriots schedule was weaker than the Colts percentage-wise.  And PLEASE do not try and talk up wins over Cincinnati and Arizona.

650527[/snapback]

Colts played 8 games against teams with losing records. They won 7.

Colts played 8 teams at .500 or better. They won 5

Pats played 6 games against teams with losing records. They won 5.

Pats played 10 teams at .500 or better. They won 9.

It's a simple comparison. You don't like it? Of course not, because it's spun my way. It doesn't tell the whole story, but it tells A story.

Winning percentage of schedule is silly. Are you telling me that the Colts game against he Bears was a tougher game than the Pats game vs. SF? Both teams are not NFL worthy, and the difference in record between the two makes up the percentage points between the Pats opponents and the Colts. Silly.

How about this story...

The Pats and the Colts are #1 and #2 in the league in scoring differential. That's probably the most important non W/L stat you can look at. The difference is negligible between the two. So is the difference in their schedules. And...yes, the Pats secondary was still 'awful' for most of the season while they were leading the league in scoring differential.

And, really...as I have already said, the only way we'll know who the better team is will be by who advances in the playoffs. If the Colts win, I'll easily and happily admit they are a better team. Injuries count in how good your team is, they are not an excuse.

I wonder how many Colts fans will do the same if the reverse occurs, or if the same old 'We gave the game to the Pats' will get posted.

Man...this is getting Tailgate/election tiring hashing out the same old useless crap over and over :D

Colts played 8 games against teams with losing records.  They won 7.

Colts played 8 teams at .500 or better.  They won 5

650584[/snapback]

Once again, I think the last Denver game should be thrown out, as the Colts did not even attempt to win that game. And now they deserve another .500+ win for dismantling the Broncos on Sunday.

Winning percentage of schedule is silly.  Are you telling me that the Colts game against he Bears was a tougher game than the Pats game vs. SF?  Both teams are not NFL worthy, and the difference in record between the two makes up the percentage points between the Pats opponents and the Colts.  Silly.

650584[/snapback]

I don't think it's silly at all. Yes. I will flat out say the Colts win AT Chicago is better than a HOME win over San Francisco.

And, really...as I have already said, the only way we'll know who the better team is will be by who advances in the playoffs.  If the Colts win, I'll easily and happily admit they are a better team.  Injuries count in how good your team is, they are not an excuse.

I wonder how many Colts fans will do the same if the reverse occurs, or if the same old 'We gave the game to the Pats' will get posted.

650584[/snapback]

Last year, in the regular season game, I gave all the credit to the Pats for their victory at the RCA Dome. I was one of the few who did not blame the loss on the officiating in the AFC Championship Game. Patriots flat beat them. As for the season opener, I DO believe the Colts outplayed the Patriots, and stupid red zone turnovers GAVE that game away. Do the Pats deserve credit for forcing those turnovers? Of course. But IF the Colts get beat, I will say right now, without a doubt, the Patriots are a better team.

Edited by CaptainHook

I don't think it's silly at all.  Yes.  I will flat out say the Colts win AT Chicago is better than a HOME win over San Francisco.

650617[/snapback]

Listen...if you really want to debate the merits of beating the Bears like the red-headed step children that they are, then you are proving my point.

Someday maybe we'll just be able to agree that this is when we find out which team is better, and we can talk about it after the real game (Regular season games only count as Qualifiers and a source for opinion banter)

Give me a logical explanation, other than "It's my opinion" on how these are the 2 best teams in football.  The Steelers were 15-1, please give them their respect.  They hammered the Patriots and Eagles in back to back weeks ending both of those team's winning streaks.  They have a 14 game winning streak.  They are # 1 in almost every power ranking.  They are the first AFC team to ever win 15 games and only the 4th ever in the NFL.  By no means do I think they are a lock to win the AFC, the NFL, or even their game this week against the Jets, but calling the Colts and the Patriots the 2 best teams in football is a ridiculous statement.  Sorry, you knew I couldn't let that one slide.    :D

649990[/snapback]

Well I was just stating my opinion...oh nevemind.

At least I apologized after I typed it.

I do respect the Steelers though. I think of them as the third best team in football. Right behind the Pats who are holding onto the #2 spot.

As for a logical explanation I just don't think they can keep up with NE or INDY's offenses. Now I know it is sexy to say defenses win championships but I think this year offenses are taking offense to that statement. 9 of the top 10 offenses made the playoffs this year verses only 5 of the top 10 defenses.

When I look at Pittsburgh's schedule this year I see 6 games where they won by 5 points or less. I see 7 games where they only scored 20 points or less. And I see where they were only able to top 30 points 3 times all year.

Ind only had 2 wins by 5 points or less and NE had none. All of their other wins were by much wider margins.

NE & Ind both had only 2 games in which they scored less than 21 points and one of Indy's doesn't count because it was the week 17 game when they sat the starters.

NE went over 30 Points 5 times but Indy topped 30 points an amazing 11 times this year.

I also know that Pittsburgh beat NE earlier this year but they were the recipients of 4 NE turnovers along the way.

And then there is always the danger of looking past your upcoming opponent to the next one and that is a hugh possibility here because the Steelers know that the big test will be the winner of the NE v Ind game.

No I stand by my original statement. NE & IND are the 2 best teams in football right now. But that's not direspecting Pittsburgh I do think of them as the 3rd best team. Although I do think they will lose to the Jets this week.

Well I was just stating my opinion...oh nevemind.

At least I apologized after I typed it.

I do respect the Steelers though. I think of them as the third best team in football. Right behind the Pats who are holding onto the #2 spot.

As for a logical explanation I just don't think they can keep up with NE or INDY's offenses. Now I know it is sexy to say defenses win championships but I think this year offenses are taking offense to that statement. 9 of the top 10 offenses made the playoffs this year verses only 5 of the top 10 defenses.

When I look at Pittsburgh's schedule this year I see 6 games where they won by 5 points or less. I see 7 games where they only scored 20 points or less. And I see where they were only able to top 30 points 3 times all year.

Ind only had 2 wins by 5 points or less and NE had none. All of their other wins were by much wider margins.

NE & Ind both had only 2 games in which they scored less than 21 points and one of Indy's doesn't count because it was the week 17 game when they sat the starters.

NE went over 30 Points 5 times but Indy topped 30 points an amazing 11 times this year.

I also know that Pittsburgh beat NE earlier this year but they were the recipients of 4 NE turnovers along the way.

And then there is always the danger of looking past your upcoming opponent to the next one and that is a hugh possibility here because the Steelers know that the big test will be the winner of the NE v Ind game.

No I stand by my original statement. NE & IND are the 2 best teams in football right now. But that's not direspecting Pittsburgh I do think of them as the 3rd best team. Although I do think they will lose to the Jets this week.

650979[/snapback]

Once again, you are entitled to your opinion, BUT, just because the Steelers play a different type of game, using ball control and defense, and tend to not blow teams out as much as Indy and New England do, does not make them inferior. The end result is what matters, and in the end, the Steelers won 15 games, and only lost 1, which is better than any other teams accomplished in the NFL. They also defeated the two teams that were closest to them in record, quite handily I might add. As for thinking the Jets will beat the Steelers, care to join our Sigline / Avatar bet here ?

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=84171

P.S. Please don't feel like you are angering me, you are not. I am actually glad I have someone who will actually discuss the "other" AFC game this week.