[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Samari Rolle to sign with the Skins?

spain

Local news out of Nashville reported tonight that Samari Rolle is close to reaching a deal with the Washington Deadskins. Rolle would be re-united with former Titans DC, Greg Williams. I havent seen this report confirmed anywhere yet...

What I dont get is they cant get rid of coles because he will count to much vs the cap if they trade him for S Moss, but they can throw 15 mil in signing bonus at Rolle who is no better than Smoot who they can resign for less.

Its like with the skins the grass is always greener on the other side. They let Davis walk a few yrs back in his prime, and trade Bailey for Portis, and throw a ton of cash at Springs. Now they are on the verge of letting Smoot walk, for an older, often injured Rolle, who will cost them more. Im glad Jerry has some constraint and wont throw rediculous money at players that wont help the team win games, like Lil Danny does.

excerpt from this mornings Washington Post:

Meanwhile, reports of Washington's imminent signing of cornerback Samari Rolle are false, said several sources familiar with the situation. According to one club source, Rolle hasn't even been on Washington's list of free-agent targets, largely because of his asking price. One of the hottest rumors at the Indianapolis combine was Rolle going to Washington for a signing bonus of up to $15 million. (Gregg Williams, Washington's assistant head coach of defense, was Rolle's defensive coordinator at Tennessee for Rolle's first three NFL seasons. And Rolle is a former teammate of Redskins safeties coach Steve Jackson.) However, the misinformation was apparently spread to exploit owner Daniel Snyder's reputation for free spending while increasing Rolle's value in free agency. According to one NFL source, Rolle is scheduled to visit the Kansas City Chiefs on Wednesday.

Word on the street is that the Redskins have no interest in Rolle, but rather are attempting to resign Fred Smoot.

I understand they're basically in agreement on the structure of a deal and on the annual salaries, but have a gap on the signing bonus. Smoot wants $14M, and the Redskins want to give him $10M. Hopefully they'll be able to meet somewhere in the middle. This Redskins fan would much rather keep Smoot than have any other CB.

What I dont get is they cant get rid of coles because he will count to much vs the cap if they trade him for S Moss, but they can throw 15 mil in signing bonus at Rolle who is no better than Smoot who they can resign for less.

Its like with the skins the grass is always greener on the other side.  They let Davis walk a few yrs back in his prime, and trade Bailey for Portis, and throw a ton of cash at Springs.  Now they are on the verge of letting Smoot walk, for an older, often injured Rolle, who will cost them more.  Im glad Jerry has some constraint and wont throw rediculous money at players that wont help the team win games, like Lil Danny does.

715427[/snapback]

I think this is because if they trade Coles his prorated signing bonus gets accelerated somehow, thus making him cost more vs. the cap than he would if they just kept him.

I agree with you on Snyder. Living in the DC Metro area, it's like an annual ritual. Snyder goes out and spends a bunch of money on FAs, the fans get all riled up thinking these guys will be the difference makers, and they go on to have another mediocre season.

Word on the street is that the Redskins have no interest in Rolle, but rather are attempting to resign Fred Smoot. 

I understand they're basically in agreement on the structure of a deal and on the annual salaries, but have a gap on the signing bonus.  Smoot wants $14M, and the Redskins want to give him $10M.  Hopefully they'll be able to meet somewhere in the middle.  This Redskins fan would much rather keep Smoot than have any other CB.

715651[/snapback]

Exactly. Smoot would be a good player to keep. The guy is small but plays hugh.

Exactly. Smoot would be a good player to keep. The guy is small but plays hugh.

715706[/snapback]

Right on the money. Who would you rather have, a great player that you can rely on, or a great player that may play half the season for you. Not a good move on Washington's part. If they loose Smoot and pick up Rolle, they could be in big trouble. I could see a scenario where both starting corners miss significant playing time during the season. :D