[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Congress subpoenas baseball players

godtomsatan

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2008206

This could go in The Tailgate as well, but does anyone else think this is ridiculous?

727192[/snapback]

I do. I'm all for the steroid situation getting cleaned up, but Congress getting involved is kind of ridiculous. Look, everyone has known about the steroid problem for many years now, why is it all of a sudden a matter of national importance? Baseball and its player union need to clean it up, not our government.

Didn't Congress already get involved?

I think legislators in DC have more things to think about than 'roids in baseball...things like the economy, the deficit, terrorism, the war in Iraq. You get my drift.

First I dont think the government should be dealing with this!

That said ,there is an arguement for them being involved and that would be to make an example for the kids of this country who think that if they do roids they will get the big contracts. Are roids a problem? Yes. Is it the most important problem we have socially? Hell no!

Can you imagine the NFL without roids? Can you say 250lb Defensive Tackles. :D

Edited by tbimm

Roids ARE a social problem, and a growing one. Any kid with serious ambitions to go pro, or even get a scholarship is at serious risk. Steroids are really easy to get, just go to a gym. This is only a small part of the government's effort int the area of steroids. It's just more publicised than the rest of what they are doing. I think this is long overdue, and colleges need to start testing too. For years now, coaches have told kids to put 40 pounds on between seasons.... now how do you suppose they do that without getting fat or doing roids?

Steroids are dangerous. This is long overdue. I'm happy to see the government put baseball's feet into the fire for something they have ignored far too long. Home run record seasons put arses in the seats, and as usual, it's always about the money.

It is absolutely ridiculous our government is involved with the steroid issue in baseball. Congress is not a policing body...they are a legislating body for the country. A blatant waste of taxpayer money. I'm surprised this isn't more of a nationally asked question.

I'm gonna enjoy watchin these cheatin arse tards just keep claiming the fifth! Sweatin, squirmin, sheetin in dere pants stuff! :D

By the way.... recent statistics say that ONE out of SIXTEEN high school athletes are using roids. But, hey, it's not a problem! dumb arses.

PS: According to an ABC news poll, 58% of the public think all the recent HR records should be removed from the record books. I agree.

Edited by Rovers

By the way.... recent statistics say that ONE out of SIXTEEN high school athletes are using roids. But, hey, it's not a problem! dumb arses.

737588[/snapback]

I wonder if any of them smoke cigarettes? If so, we should get Congress to look in to that too. :oldrolleyes:

As Rovers pointed out, the steroid problem goes far beyond baseball. This is no dumber than the rest of the federal government's war on drugs, IMO. (Which, for the record, I think is pretty dumb.)

I've always disliked McGuire, and did rather enjoy him practically :bawling: during his statement, and his taking the 5th. Loser.

If you watched the hearings today, the congressmen made a point that this is bigger than baseball. The MLB, however, has not taken appropriate steps to curb usage. Because players are idolized by youngsters, young folks have taken steroids and died. This creates a public health problem. There's also labor agreement problems in there too. Congress is well within their bounds to do this.

While Congress is made to legislate, they need to investigate before they legislate. That's what they're doing now.

Basically if MLB doesn't do something more substantial, the government will make them.

Because players are idolized by youngsters, young folks have taken steroids and died. 

738779[/snapback]

While I do agree that it's past time the steroids issue is adressed, I don't paricularly agree with the way it's being done by Congress. A lot more kids die from other drugs like alcohol, heroin and cocaine than do from steroids. Yet no one is subpoening athletes to ask them about alcohol or barbituate usage which I'm sure equally as rampant in baseball. This is just grandstanding by the goverment, nothing more.

It also kind of bothered me the way they went at McGwire. He absolutely came across badly, and it's clear from his answers today that he used steroids. But if you didn't strongly suspect that prior to today, then you just aren't paying attention. Really what purpose did it accomplish to repeatedly single him out, embarass and chastise him? He's been retired for four years now, is he really the best guy to ask about a problem that is only being addressed presently?

Besides the fact, politicians are generally the most crooked people on the face of this earth...what's the saying, let he who is without sin cast the first stone? I'm not a big fan of dog and pony shows, or of hypocrisy, and today's proceedings simply oozed of way too much of both for my liking.

true dat. Every other player except Canseco vehemtly denied juicing up....... Big Mac takes the 5th. and turns on the tears. :bawling:

Damage done.... guilty, like the world didn't know already.  :D

739324[/snapback]

Sammy Sosa didn't deny anything. Instead, he had his attorney read the statement saying he never used steroids for him...if he can't say it himself when he's sitting right next to his attorney, then that tells me something. This is the same guy who tried to claim he didn't realize he was using his corked batting practice bat a couple of years ago, so what kind of credibility does he have anyway?

Nothing new was learned by the hearing yesterday. It still seems to me that Congress ought to have more important priorities than publicly embarrassing baseball, and ex-baseball, players. :D

Edited by Skrappy1

Sammy Sosa didn't deny anything.  Instead, he had his attorney read the statement saying he never used steroids for him...if he can't say it himself when he's sitting right next to his attorney, then that tells me something.  This is the same guy who tried to claim he didn't realize he was using his corked batting practice bat a couple of years ago, so what kind of credibility does he have anyway?

He's not an American citizen, so why is he testifying?

If you watched the hearings today, the congressmen made a point that this is bigger than baseball.  Because players are idolized by youngsters, young folks have taken steroids and died.  This creates a public health problem.

738779[/snapback]

After this I think Congress should address the high divorce rates among Hollywood stars because they "are idolized by youngsters" and they should not treat the sanctity of marriage as if it is a soiled condom to throw away. This would fit in with the Republican mantra...:overthetopsarcasticgraemlin:

While I do agree that it's past time the steroids issue is adressed, I don't paricularly agree with the way it's being done by Congress.  A lot more kids die from other drugs like alcohol, heroin and cocaine than do from steroids.  Yet no one is subpoening athletes to ask them about alcohol or barbituate usage which I'm sure equally as rampant in baseball.  This is just grandstanding by the goverment, nothing more.

Besides the fact, politicians are generally the most crooked people on the face of this earth...what's the saying, let he who is without sin cast the first stone?  I'm not a big fan of dog and pony shows, or of hypocrisy, and today's proceedings simply oozed of way too much of both for my liking.

739010[/snapback]

Nothing new was learned by the hearing yesterday.  It still seems to me that Congress ought to have more important priorities than publicly embarrassing baseball, and ex-baseball, players. :D

739374[/snapback]

I'm in full agreement, especially Skrappy's point about kids dying of other drugs on a larger scale.

By the way, my ignorance will show when it comes to steroids here (I don't use them by the way :D ), but why is Canseco worried about his remarks being used against him in prosecution? I didn't think steroids were illegal like other drugs? :D